• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Neighbor Inactivity

DeletedUser20951

Been seeing a huge uptick in the number of players in my neighborhoods going inactive, well outside the realm of what is customary. I know the human brain has a penchant for falsely attributing a pattern to coincidence, but I am curious to hear accounts from others on the matter in order to help me better determine whether I'm being overly paranoid or not.

Socrates28

Since being moved to the very edge of player space I have noticed a growing number of gold mines in my area, 21 (I just recounted them to make sure). Perhaps they were moved, or perhaps not, I have no way of knowing. An additional point is that I too seem to notice more inactivity through a decrease of neighborly help bonus when I do my daily visits.
Remember that just because you are paronid does not mean that they are not out to get you!

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
That's one of the reasons I asked not to be moved. They gave us the option when they started it, I believe, and I've worked hard to build strong relationships with my neighbors. I get a lot of help from them and that, in itself, improves the level of activity. Usually I have, at most, only on coin farm and often none. I address about 300 players in my "discovered" area so it's a pretty good sample. About 40% are in fellowships (I do 120 visits each day around me) and I notice that another 10% play outside a fellowship. I watch for them in trade and if they are active I visit them too. The point is, a neighborhood has to be developed and mined and if you do that -- including welcoming new players moving in -- AND thanking people for trades, you get a better neighborhood. At least that's how I think it worked for me.

AJ

DeletedUser

I have sort of experienced the opposite recently, i have allways been in a very inactive neighborhood, but recently i notice getting neighborly help on a daily basis. before it was just my FS who gave help.

Socrates28

The point is, a neighborhood has to be developed and mined and if you do that -- including welcoming new players moving in -- AND thanking people for trades, you get a better neighborhood. At least that's how I think it worked for me.
AJ
I understand that and live by that. I visit everyone in my discovered area (200+ cities) whether they visit me or not every day. Of those cities about 5-10 of them have ever given me neighborly help, ever!
I purposely look for my neighbors trades and take them consistently. I look for smaller cities, even outside of my discovered area and take their trades. I do not take cross-tier trades from any of them.
Only 2 have become in any way "trading partners," taking trades at least one way or another on a consistent basis. Only 1 of them has ever emailed me or answered my emails if I sent one to them.
Considering the topic of this thread, I would call that inactivity!
If it were not for my FS I do not know what I would do for trades or help!

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
It is more complex than that. Our neighborhood was cannibalized to fill in other spaces, and we were moved from the south edge to the east edge. We have the same number of gold mines (in most cases) but have in some cases large trading partners. But my AM, former near neighbor has an entire ring 1 of gold mines, and most of his ring 2. However we had active trading circles that have been thoroughly disrupted too

Deleted User - 312108

This is a big one and I know for me an actively trading neighborhood makes such a difference in growth. I admit, I would take actively trading neighbors over neighbors who regularly give NH but do not trade. I've had cities on the edge of the map with nothing but gold for a long, long ways and it was extremely painful and I've had times where I had relatively near neighbors who were highly ranked and actively traded and the difference it made goods wise was huge.

Lelanya

Yeah, good gravy we've tried everything. A third of the membership is inactive but are kept for polishes. We have room for 2 or 3 at any point. We advertise for players, or a merger, with little luck. Most folks who offer such are not truly honest. They want us to join them, and in some cases, only the top 3 to 5 of us. Ah well. It's a good crew

Sir Squirrel

Artist EXTRAORDINAIRE and Buddy Fan Club member
Yeah, good gravy we've tried everything. A third of the membership is inactive but are kept for polishes. We have room for 2 or 3 at any point. We advertise for players, or a merger, with little luck. Most folks who offer such are not truly honest. They want us to join them, and in some cases, only the top 3 to 5 of us. Ah well. It's a good crew

Have you tried turning the join automatically on in the overview? That is what I did to get new members to join my FS! The only thing is you have to have at least one spot open at all times for them to join. I wish you Good luck with getting your FS back to full activity. It can be a challenge that is for sure!

DeletedUser20951

I admit, I would take actively trading neighbors over neighbors who regularly give NH but do not trade.
I have an interesting neighbor, one who joined shortly after I did and that used to give aid to me often, but has since stopped for the last couple months, yet still regularly picks up a large chunk of my trades. As I've only missed giving aid once in over a year of playing, I'll occasionally feel a bit of resentment at not having it returned before I remind myself of that fact. Doesn't help with not noticing it how the amount of neighborly aid I was receiving in the area has dropped from around ten down to three or four on average, and sometimes none at all.
We advertise for players, or a merger, with little luck. Most folks who offer such are not truly honest.
Oh yes, this false advertisement for a merger, when they actually want you and yours to be recruited into theirs with adherence to their rules without compromise, seems to be fairly common, or, at least, I am sent offers of the sort routinely. Somebody, I can't remember who now, made an analogy a while back in the forums about there being too many chiefs and not enough braves when it comes to fellowships, which rang true to me, as I would definitely rather be in charge and set the rules than conform to the edicts of another.

Deleted User - 312108

Nonchalant, I get the resentment. Which was why a very long time ago I suggested that NH rewards be based on the player given aid's actions vs. being reactionary. For example that if I give you aid every day my rewards increase and reset after x many days.
That rewards me for performing the action rather than rewarding me for someone else's action.

Socrates28

I have an interesting neighbor, one who joined shortly after I did and that used to give aid to me often, but has since stopped for the last couple months, yet still regularly picks up a large chunk of my trades. As I've only missed giving aid once in over a year of playing, I'll occasionally feel a bit of resentment at not having it returned before I remind myself of that fact. Doesn't help with not noticing it how the amount of neighborly aid I was receiving in the area has dropped from around ten down to three or four on average, and sometimes none at all.
As you point out people want you to help them when they want it, especially with trades. I use that want to my advantage.
I do that by maintaining at least 3 of each 2,500, 1,000 and 500 trades in my boosted for each of my non-boosted all of the time. These are routinely taken by my neighbors and members of my FS. This gets them into the habit/routine of looking for my posts because they are almost always there. I also look through the trader to see if there are other trades that I can take or to help out my much smaller neighbors.
I post better than 50 trades a day in this manner plus whatever I take from their offerings. It seems to work pretty well over-all at keeping my inventory at satisfactory levels without me having to constantly post large trades and I help them at the same time.
I do NH to everyone I can reach, whether they help me or not. OK I am greedy, not for the gold as I have probably have 1B in instants with my last MH upgrade, but for the KP that I buy with it. Any supplies I get are nice, but it is the KP I am after. I don’t know if I help them or not, and hope that I do, but that is for them to decide and not me. I am getting what I want when I visit them.

DeletedUser20951

For example that if I give you aid every day my rewards increase and reset after x many days.
Something like this is definitely on my wish list for incentives I hope Inno adds to the game one fine day, and not just because I would benefit from it significantly... I SWEAR! Why the dubious looks? *grins* Nah, I do believe it would increase the rate of neighborly aid by a huge margin.
It seems to work pretty well over-all at keeping my inventory at satisfactory levels without me having to constantly post large trades and I help them at the same time.
I used to post a lot more trades, all spread out throughout the day whenever I had access, but I'm getting close to three years total of playing Elvenar, and the newish prevalence of cross-tier has sped up the natural burnout caused by taking repetitive actions over a long period of time, so I have difficulty mustering my previous dedication.
I do NH to everyone I can reach, whether they help me or not.
I visit everybody that shows even a slight twinge of activity, be it score, aid, or trade placement, and persist in aiding even if they lapse into inactivity for a few months. Some have been inactive longer, but they aided me daily when they were active and I keep aiding out of remembered gratitude for that, because I'm weird and like to get a decent bit of coin every day, which I wouldn't if I didn't aid a moderate number of inactives, too.

I don't demand return aid, but I often think, as I aid their cities, "Yeah, that'd be nice if they'd return the favor now and then."

Lelanya

Have you tried turning the join automatically on in the overview? That is what I did to get new members to join my FS! The only thing is you have to have at least one spot open at all times for them to join. I wish you Good luck with getting your FS back to full activity. It can be a challenge that is for sure!
No, we do not set the FS to join automatically anymore. Not everyone who games Elvenar is a happy and stable, mature adult. After 2 incidents and another close brush we prefer to monitor incoming members directly, thank you :p

@Nonchalant Antipathy I do completely understand what you mean, and on home territory, that is true for me as well. I have found some good homes as well tho :)

Last edited: