• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Neighborly help changed?

Pheryll

Set Designer
No. They just won't widely spread a feature until they are sure it won;t cause people to buy fewer diamonds. Even if the feature has nothing to do with diamonds.

If that were the case I would expect to see nerfs in some of these slow rolled features; especially, for instance, in the select all workshop feature, which would have had to cut into their diamond profits for buying FA badges.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
If that were the case I would expect to see nerfs in some of these slow rolled features; especially, for instance, in the select all workshop feature, which would have had to cut into their diamond profits for buying FA badges.
It could happen, but I generally disagree. It's all about the net. A small shift in the number of completed badges and quests has to stack against almost the entire player base being a little happier. Saving a handful of long-time spenders from quitting would easily set off a fair number of extra badges. And if it saves a couple of them enough time to decide to play another city.....

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Isn't that in itself a reason not to slow-roll the good features based upon diamond analysis? I don't think diamond analysis has anything to do with the slow-rolling.
But they don't know. They can make good guesses, but why guess when they can deploy to 100,000 out of a half million accounts and have near-perfectly-averaged data in a couple of weeks?

Pheryll

Set Designer
But they don't know. They can make good guesses, but why guess when they can deploy to 100,000 out of a half million accounts and have near-perfectly-averaged data in a couple of weeks?

I am not buying that the reason is about diamond profits. For the workshop production streamlining they could have had much more FA data during the length that it was deployed for just a sample of the accounts.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
I am not buying that the reason is about diamond profits. For the workshop production streamlining they could have had much more FA data during the length that it was deployed for just a sample of the accounts.
Sorry, I can't parse what you were saying here.

BadWon

No different than some of my FS peeps have had their maps change over to winter. Mine is still autumn. Must take time by server Some have the new help, some don't. Patience is a virtue............

Pheryll

Set Designer
Sorry, I can't parse what you were saying here.

I am saying that when they implemented the select all feature for workshops to a small amount of the community they had ample time to test it on FAs. Instead they gave it to everyone in a patch right before the FA. If they were concerned about diamonds before giving it to everyone this is not the expected route they would have taken.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
I am saying that when they implemented the select all feature for workshops to a small amount of the community they had ample time to test it on FAs. Instead they gave it to everyone in a patch right before the FA. If they were concerned about diamonds before giving it to everyone this is not the expected route they would have taken.
only if they didn't get enough data. The initial testing with workshops went for more than a month on some mobile accounts before it went to everyone on mobile. It was then available to everyone on mobile for several more weeks before it went to browser users. At that point they shouldn't have needed any more data

Pheryll

Set Designer
only if they didn't get enough data. The initial testing with workshops went for more than a month on some mobile accounts before it went to everyone on mobile. It was then available to everyone on mobile for several more weeks before it went to browser users. At that point they shouldn't have needed any more data

With that reasoning their is no need for browser testing for either the workshop improvement or the visiting improvement as both would have had ample time on mobile. The testing for diamond impact does not make sense to me at all, as it does not fit the method and schedule by which these improvements are released. What much better fits the scheduling pattern is the caution in case of bugs. Should implementing the improvement in a different system prove problematic, the team will have the ability to remove the test if necessary.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
What much better fits the scheduling pattern is the caution in case of bugs. Should implementing the improvement in a different system prove problematic, the team will have the ability to remove the test if necessary.
I can't say that's not what they are doing, but there's no excuse for bug testing on a live server when you have a beta server. The beta server is plenty populous to to test for bugs. It might not be busy enough to spot trends in player behaviour.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
I can't say that's not what they are doing, but there's no excuse for bug testing on a live server when you have a beta server. The beta server is plenty populous to to test for bugs. It might not be busy enough to spot trends in player behaviour.

Considering there is at least one bug/glitch that has been reported here from this roll out, that I do not think was reported at all on the Beta forum, apparently not.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Considering there is at least one bug/glitch that has been reported here from this roll out, that I do not think was reported at all on the Beta forum, apparently not.
There is no legitimate comparison between bugs that get missed in testing and deploying a feature to some people on the live servers to test for bugs. No beta server has ever been perfect. And for some products, their beta servers don't have sufficient activity to be reliable. That doesn't mean that developers simply choose to ignore them sometimes when they do, and there are at least 2000 active accounts on Beta, because more than 2000 people got points in the most recent tournament

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
There is no legitimate comparison between bugs that get missed in testing and deploying a feature to some people on the live servers to test for bugs. No beta server has ever been perfect. And for some products, their beta servers don't have sufficient activity to be reliable. That doesn't mean that developers simply choose to ignore them sometimes when they do, and there are at least 2000 active accounts on Beta, because more than 2000 people got points in the most recent tournament

Eh, the Beta server for this game has never felt like a true Beta test version of a game. Everyone there just seems to play the game like normal and if things happen to glitch or bug out, then they do. Are any of the Beta players actually pushing the code and testing it in ways the devs did not expect?

Pheryll

Set Designer

Ashrem, you are a member of the Beta community. It was on the Beta boards that the team posted the details of how they would be using live for further testing. They stated that the Beta population was not sufficient for weeding out all the bugs. They gave all these details before they starting rolling out these sample implementations. Please read up on this, instead of spreading rumors about how diamond analysis is involved.