• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Neighborly Help Prioritization Calculator

Vigali

I made a little calculator to help myself determine how I should be prioritizing my neighborly help requests. I've seen many people request MH help first (before culture/builder), and I wanted to understand the math behind that. It seemed logical to me that if your goal was maximum coins (for maximum KP purchases, presumably), then MH first would be the correct route; however, it seemed possible that a sufficiently large culture bonus brought on by Culture Neighborly Help might outweigh the coins you're receiving with MH help.

Spreadsheet Link: Neighborly Help Prioritization Calculator

I've made a handful of assumptions (just so it was easier to make the calculator):
1) Whatever chapter you're in, your buildings (MH, Residences, Workshops) are all maxed for that chapter.
2) Your FS mates are likely to be the only people who actually pay attention to your Culture/MH help prioritization. I set "Avg # Help Received per Day" for my city at 24 (because I am in a very active FS, and pretty much everyone helps every day). If you feel differently, go ahead and adjust that number.
3) You collect 100% of coins generated by your residences
4) Your workshop production cycles are 1 9hr/4 3hr.

To use the calculator, just fill in your own city info in the top left cells. They should be self explanatory, but the two culture bonus ones may warrant some explanation. Base Culture Bonus is just the culture bonus your city gets by itself, from the excess culture your buildings provide over the required amount. Avg Culture Bonus w/ Help is the Culture Bonus you expect to have when all of your FS mates are helping your culture buildings, PLUS the culture bonus you'd expect to get from EE spells, depending on how often you use them.

General Takeaways:

1) Cities with mostly Magic buildings benefit a whole lot more from Culture Bonus than cities without many Magic buildings. This should be obvious, but is nice to see in numbers.
2) Cities that use a lot of Pop/Culture hybrid buildings (and who consequently carry fewer Residences) benefit a whole lot less from Culture Bonus than those who get almost all of their population requirements from Residences.
3) The higher your base culture bonus, the more likely it is you'll need to have constant EE spells running for Culture Help to outstrip MH Help in coin production.

Personal Takeaways:
For my city, I would need to see an additional 60% Culture Bonus from Neighborly Help alone (between the standard bonus and EE bonus) for my residences to out-perform MH donations from my whole FS. My Base culture bonus is at 160% -- I've got a boatload of culture buildings out right now because I haven't really started building my next settlement. I would need to have a lot of EE spells running constantly on Help'd buildings to actually reach the point where it makes sense to be requesting Culture help. As I progress through Ch. 12, however, I'm going to have to sacrifice a lot of my culture buildings to make space for the massive settlement buildings, so my base culture bonus will drop pretty significantly -- likely down to 125%. At that point, I will probably want to shift back to requesting Culture help, because I'll be able to see a pretty significant boost from it without completing depleting EE spells all the time.

Edit: I should also say, this is just for elves. It would not be too difficult to add in Human data for residences/workshops (assuming it's slightly different) and add a selector for that, but I haven't done that yet.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
A little tip on your spreadsheet:
Add the line
" Click "FILE" then "MAKE A COPY" in order to edit "
to the top of your landing page or you'll get several requests for permission to edit. I have calculators that I've forgotten about years ago that still get the occasional requests.

Last edited:

WolfSinger

For some who prioritize MH over culture - it could also be running at maximum culture bonus so those polishes don't provide much if any help. I'm one that's in that position, I get a few people who polish culture regardless of my request and I run at 170% bonus pretty much all the time.

Vigali

For some who prioritize MH over culture - it could also be running at maximum culture bonus so those polishes don't provide much if any help. I'm one that's in that position, I get a few people who polish culture regardless of my request and I run at 170% bonus pretty much all the time.

Agreed -- the higher your base culture bonus is, the more difficult it is to get value out of Culture Help. If your culture bonus is maxed out by your own culture (without any help) you'd need to keep EE spells running constantly to provide the extra bonus necessary to outstrip MH coins production.