• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

New chapter suggestion

DeletedUser2870

Suggestion for new chapter - demons

So far, all of the guestraces have had beneficial effects pretty much from the start. This suggested chapter will only do so at the end, but will have an adverse effect until the chapter is finished, to introduce a new challenge. It starts with the folly of unbridled and unchecked curiosity. And will add another challenge as well by needing a very large amount of space at the beginning of the chapter which will be growing less as one progresses.

“After the last renovation of your Main Hall, a new library was found, hidden deep under the foundations. While exploring this library, several documents were unearthed hinting at a portal to yet undiscovered lands holding great possible treasures. But the texts have been eroded over time and not all could be made out clearly. Your scholars are excited at the new prospect and want your approval to replicate the research and open up this new portal to look at this new land, even though no everything has been deciphered yet or the fact that some of the inscriptions found seem a bit dire.”

That should open the first research for the gate.

“As the gate opens, your scholars are stricken with fear. They are looking into a desolate waste in a twilight world and an awful stench comes through the opening. Their horror increases as the gate opens further and further despite their best efforts to stop it.”

This gate will be HUGE at 20x20 but will turn out to be a gateway to hell.

“The scholars were still debating on how to proceed when a growling and jeering mass of demons appears, cheering to see a path to freedom, threatening to tear them limb from limb in the process. As your people turn to flee they sound the alarm and your fighters rush in to rescue your research team.”

The first task should be to allocate troops to combat the demons trying to get out. These should be added to throughout the chapter, draining some of the fighting abilities for the duration, but not in such a way it would be a problem for those who don’t have their city set up for fighting. Maybe it could be set up as a percentage of the number of troops one has. But considering the advanced chapter people should be able to deal with this even if it would make it harder to do this AND the tourneys AND the Spire. One will have to make choices.

“While your fighters valiantly battle against the intruders, a dark cloud with a revolting stench rises from the pit. Those inside the cloud have trouble seeing as it makes their eyes water and makes it hard to breathe normally, slowing down all efforts they make”.
Once the fighters have been allocated the smoke will start to come and it will have a dampening effect on production of goods, coins and supplies as a pall of darkness and despair falls over the city. At that point, the negative effect should come into play, cutting down on the resources that are generated. Since the portal starts huge, the effect should be very significant, so say- 20%. As the portal gets closed it should drop to -15%, -10% and finally -5% until it finally is completely closed (sold) and the negative effect is gone.

Not only that, but to appease the hordes one will have to make regular sacrifices in coins, goods and supplies (every 24 hours) in order to keep them from wracking havoc. This sacrifice will reduce some but not all of the negative effects of having the portal open. However, players should have a choice, so not paying it should be a possibility but should increase the demands of troops needed to defend your city from the horde of demons.

“Luckily your researchers who were sill working on the documents have found something. A warning not to mess with this, which it now is too late to do. But they also found clues on how to undo the horrors now unleashed. You should make haste in taking measures to counter them and to prevent them from taking over all the world.”

After that, the 4 special buildings for guestrace-goods should be researched, a font to create holy water, a hall to create prayer beads, a chapel to say prayers in and a sanctuary for wards. Each of these should be placed at one corner of the gate. These should start very small, but increase in size as they are upgraded, but on the other hand, when one ‘upgrades’ the gate it means working on closing it, so that should in fact decrease in size when it gets upgraded.
The different types can be combined (not unlike the S&D chapter) to form the special portal goods.

To make it all more interesting the gate at lvl 1 should as stated earlier have an adverse effect on the production of goods, supplies and coins, an effect that should get less every time the gate is upgraded (or rather, is being closed a bit further).
Since the ‘portal goods’ instants now are so common, I’d suggest that it to actually close the gate one needs more of the goods produced in each of the buildings for the completion of tasks and research than the final portal goods which can be gotten instantly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
I like a lot about this idea, but I think it would probably have a negative effect on retention. Some people aren't going to be happy about having to deliberately weaken their city to progress. Things like demons and holy water also stray into areas that lean toward religious, in a game that forbids religious discussion.

Vergazi

Yeah, if I get where Ashrem is coming from here then I agree. It would be interesting and maybe even fun, but the religious angle would be off-putting for too many I fear. The thing that struck me at first was the massive size of the portal at 20x20. First thing I thought was, "OMG that's huge!." The second thing I thought was, "OMG, how huge will it be at level 4?!?!." What ever happened to the Luminescents idea?

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Yeah, if I get where Ashrem is coming from here then I agree. It would be interesting and maybe even fun, but the religious angle would be off-putting for too many I fear.
It's not just the off-putting part. There are places on Earth where it is essentially illegal to promote religion, and Inno would risk having the game banned in a number of countries if it included overtly religious items.
The thing that struck me at first was the massive size of the portal at 20x20. First thing I thought was, "OMG that's huge!." The second thing I thought was, "OMG, how huge will it be at level 4?
This part seemed quite intuitive, and an interesting mechanic. I actually assumed it before even seeing that Dhurrin had included it:
so that should in fact decrease in size when it gets upgraded.
What ever happened to the Luminescents idea?
I took it to Beta a while ago. It got some positive responses, but not as many as I'd hoped. I have not yet asked the the form mods to add a Poll to it yet. The Beta thread is linked in my signature.

DeletedUser2870

Yeah, if I get where Ashrem is coming from here then I agree. It would be interesting and maybe even fun, but the religious angle would be off-putting for too many I fear. The thing that struck me at first was the massive size of the portal at 20x20. First thing I thought was, "OMG that's huge!." The second thing I thought was, "OMG, how huge will it be at level 4?!?!." What ever happened to the Luminescents idea?

As I said, the thing will be huge, but it will become smaller instead of larger when upgraded, while some of the surrounding buildings grow larger.
The rest of the buildings can start as 1x1 for instance.
The gate can go back to 15x15, 10x10, 5x5 while the surrounding buildings go to 2x2, 3x3, 4x4 which pretty much would keep the total amount of space within the present parameters (last few chapters all needed about 18 expansions)

And yes, the religious angle could be a problem, never really thought about that, though the concept of man overreaching and being lured by temptation into opening the gates of hell is something found in many religions.
Still, I can see that point, but that can be easily rectified by changing the names. A minor issue as far as I'm concerned, one could call them soul-eaters, or it could be some kind of strangling vine, it could be vampires sucking the city dry. Same with the required goods, rename them.

As for the offsetting for having to overcome a negative effect on the city, I'm not sure. Looking from where I am and asking around a bit among some other advanced player the main problem seems to be that new chapters don't offer a real challenge. Get the portal, use the portal good instants, do the research. Most of the challenge is in doing a lot of research that has practically no use (like the last chapter with 4! squadsize increases, only 1 of which is optional).
Goods, coins and supplies are not exactly the stuff being short either generally speaking. So the main challenge now would be to overcome that temporarily negative effect.
It will probably have an effect on tourny and spire participation, but again, it's temporay until the chapter is finished.

qaccy

It's interesting, but forced penalties in a game where vocal players are already feeling like Inno is out to get them probably wouldn't be a very good idea. The theming also seems uncharacteristically dark for Elvenar. Ignoring any ties to religion, the game's story and characters are all relatively light-hearted even when they're doing bad things. This sounds decidedly...not that. Even the Amuni didn't really feel evil despite openly talking about subjugating you and your citizens while sucking the land dry.

DeletedUser20951

DUDE, I meant to post this when the Burning Thing was being offered, but look what I found!
Burning Man.jpg
Demons can totally be in the running for a guest race, by Inno's own words. : D

(and, yes, I realize this is only a single instance and could be an oversight, but I'm not interested in carping)

Kataphractos

Also, I refer to the numerous religious connotations of the Phoenix Event as Exhibit B. Or A. Whichever.

To be fair, there hasn't been a real-life Phoenix Cult since the priests of the Bennu-Bird in pre-Ptolemaic Egypt. (And there were never even very many of them -- for obvious reasons, most Egyptians preferred to worship the Sun directly, rather than an incarnation of the Sun who existed before the Universe was created.) Phoenix-worshipers are safer to portray than shamans and druids and totemic animals...because after all, Neopagans and indigenous animists do still exist...and Elvenar's got plenty of those. You can't swing an Amuni without hitting some kind of shaman or druid or totemic animal!