1. Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team
    Dismiss Notice

New Game Features New Guest Race: The Luminescent

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Ashrem, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Ashrem

Ashrem Well-Known Member

The Luminescent (formerly Dwellers in Darkness )have been observing your city’s growth, and see that your technological advances and the power of your magical denizens may finally offer them a way to return to the reality they left long ago and share the new magics they have discovered in the dark world. In return for your city offering them a place to which they can return, they offer to bring unique new magical techniques and their experience with working in the darkness to your magical city.

Their first act will be to train your spellcasters in the construction of the black hole portal, which temporarily hides your city from the sun, removing the light from your city so that it is in twilight and allowing them to visit, so that together you and they may work to return light to their people and yours. The Black Hole also serves as a collection point for the new magical materials they will teach you to manipulate, starlight and moonlight, allowing you to build up a supply of these magical resources for use in advancing your city.

Their experience in capturing the faintest light of distant stars and the moon lets them teach you new methods of construction, including roads that glitter and sparkle with starlight, casting a soft illumination about them on all the buildings of your city.
    • (Roads are added immediately before the portal, and a quest to upgrade them confers soft illumination on the city when it is plunged into near darkness at completion of the Black Hole Portal (first quest is to replace a minimum number of roads))
    The construction methods of the Luminscent will soon be incorporated into your other buildings. Upgraded residences, manufactories, and workshops, are infused with a natural, ethereal light, which allows your people to fill spaces that were previously unused, increasing population and productivity without any changes to size or shape.

Edit: Adding list of potential elements to fit the theme
    • Comets
    • shooting stars
    • Firefly-like beings/avatars
    Totally stealing Soggy's mechanic suggestions until we can edit his stuff and mine into a cohesive whole
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    (possible event to launch the new race/chapter)
    Soon after the arrival in Elvenar of the Dwellers in Darkness, the magics they bring will begin to spread through the land, just in time for a great eclipse that lasts for two to four weeks and results in a worldwide celebration in which some of the resulting constructions will be infused with Starlight, lending an ethereal air to the buildings that are left behind by this event.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  2. juniperknome

juniperknome Active Member

i think we need the alfa cetaurians on completion creates a new copy of the city in a plane of existence. we need someplace to put those neat buildings

Socrates28 likes this.
  3. Loki Lyesmith

Loki Lyesmith Well-Known Member

Shut up and take my money.

Er...

+1

:oops:

4. Fairy Dust

Fairy Dust
    Co-Community Manager
    Elvenar Team

Very nice idea! ;)

5. Ashrem

Ashrem Well-Known Member

Thanks. What I need is criticisms, so I can polish it. What don't you like? What would you like to see added?

Fitress and Socrates28 like this.
  6. Sir Squirrel

Sir Squirrel Well-Known Member

Yeah great idea and story too! I want starlight infused buildings in my city!!! Hurry up and get started on this INNO! LOL!

7. Ashrem

Ashrem Well-Known Member

Perhaps "Dwellers in the Abyss" might be a better title for the race? I was thinking of them as living in the space between the stars, but maybe something coming from under the world could be a jumping off point for a new city space?

Socrates28 likes this.
  8. EnchantedEnder

EnchantedEnder Member

Not sure I like the "Dwellers in the Darkness" or "Dwellers in the Abyss" names but that's just me. I like something that sounds a bit more upbeat but again, just me - someone else would think the names are cool as all get out. But on to your story. Having something that harnesses starlight & moonlight as resources sounds new for this game so that's a plus & kind of a neat idea. If I'm understanding your concept, upgraded roads & buildings lends light to your darkened city & that's also an interesting new variation.

I'm not quite following this section totally. Somehow the upgrades highlight unused space? The idea of highlighting unused space or somehow helping players to make better use of existing space is interesting but I'm not quite following how this works or if that is actually your intention?

9. Ashrem

Ashrem Well-Known Member

There's been discussion lately that there are no more grids available for expansion on the map, so we either have to find ways to increase population density in buildings, or come up with other solutions. Light in little used areas like basements and under staircases was simply a throw-away to explain having more people living in the same sized residence.

Socrates28 and Itireae Sharic like this.
  10. Itireae Sharic

Itireae Sharic Well-Known Member

"Dwellers in the Void" since thats what empty space is referred to .

Very nice and well thought out @Ashrem.

11. Ashrem

Ashrem Well-Known Member

Void isn't bad.

I really want to conjure an image of a magical space that only exists in darkness

12. Itireae Sharic

Hmmm, that's going to be a task. Usually darkness and magical aren't 2 words you see melded too often, in a good context. Lemme give it some thought and maybe we can come up with something. I really like the premise.

13. Sir Squirrel

Sir Squirrel Well-Known Member

As for a name for the race I am thinking that some creatures that live in almost compete darkness (think deep in the sea where light cant reach) are bioluminescent and create there own light. So I was thinking The Luminescent might be a good name!

Fitress, Socrates28, SherG26 and 3 others like this.
  14. Ashrem

Ashrem Well-Known Member

The more I repeat it to myself, the more fond I get of the Luminescent.

15. Itireae Sharic

The Luminescent Void.

Covers the dark and the light...not sure about the magical..lol:eek::D

Socrates28 likes this.
  16. Ashrem

Ashrem Well-Known Member

Update of the first/introductory paragraph

Centuries ago, as the first era began to fade on Elvenar, the ancestors of the Luminiscent left Elvenar in search of a new home. Their wanderings eventually left them trapped in The Void Dimension, and their descendants have been struggling to find their way back ever since. They long ago discovered a way to observe their lost home of Elvenar, and the Luminescent have been observing your city’s growth, and see that your magical and technological advances and the power of your magical citizens may finally offer them freedom from the eternal darkness in which they are trapped, and a way to return to the reality they lost so long ago, as well as a way to share the new magics they have discovered in the darkness. In return for your city offering them a place to build their portal, through which they can return, they offer to bring unique new magical techniques and their experience with working in the darkness to your magical city.

17. shimmerfly

shimmerfly Well-Known Member

There could be Comets. Shooting stars, Fireflies :rolleyes:?
    I love the idea. Your explanation made a picture of soft glowing phosphorescent lights. (sp? my spell check isn't working and either are my fingers and I'm too lazy to look it up right now.) Anyway... I could visualize it.
    It would work underground although I like space between the stars better. Some of us get claustrophic.
    Can't think of any "buts" at the moment.:D

18. shimmerfly

I like the original best. Just change the name to the Luminiscence.

GroomerWoman, Laochra and SherG26 like this.
  19. Ashrem

Ashrem Well-Known Member

Edited original to add some potential racial elements to enhance the theme (Per @shimmerfly )

SherG26 and shimmerfly like this.
  20. shimmerfly

I like :p.

Loki Lyesmith and SherG26 like this.