• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

New Player Guide/ Beginner Guide

DeletedUser3297

The second quote kinda contradicts the first. If culture buffs do nothing for you, then they are clearly worse than MH buffs;)

No contradiction... I just do not want to use the available city title to tell people what they should buff.

I would rather use it for my city name :)

Actually, nothing in that city helps me at all. I have to dump supplies and coins in the wholesaler just to make my rounds. ;)

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Actually, nothing in that city helps me at all. I have to dump supplies and coins in the wholesaler
Dumping in wholesaler>nothing. (not much better, but still better);)
I just do not want to use the available city title to tell people what they should buff.
In the last Q&A Timon said he "hates" the C B MH thing, so maybe there's a change coming:p

InvincibleRailroad

Could someone please explain the Builders hut and what it means when it is buffed? Such as: If it gets buffed do I have to do anything. What are available construction boosts? I have a level 5 hut.
Thanks in advance.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
Could someone please explain the Builders hut and what it means when it is buffed? Such as: If it gets buffed do I have to do anything. What are available construction boosts? I have a level 5 hut.
Thanks in advance.

When buffed the hut provides a 10% reduction in time for the next building. The higher the level the hut the more buffs that can be stored. So a level 2 hut has 2 buffs and a level 5 has 5 buffs.

From memory the buff will not apply to builds of 1 minute or less.

DeletedUser4993

W

From memory the buff will not apply to builds of 1 minute or less.

I think it is 5 minutes but nothing is built with that amount of time so it's irrelevant. TBS 1st and 2nd level levels of residences and workshops aren't affected.by a BH buff. Only 1st level on first tier goods manufacturies are not affected. All tier 2 and 3 at first lvl can use a buff.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser9820

When I first started playing Elvenar I was so confused and I wished there was a new player guide someplace. So far, I have yet to see one posted anywhere. I decided to go back to the beginning, start a new world and follow along with the quests and explain everything in detail. It has taken me a long time to write this much and I know I need to add more. But, this is a beginning. It was too long to make one post, so I had to break it up. Since I will be adding to this, I created a few posts to add on later.

I know this could use a lot of editing, so please, post any edits you think are needed. This is a rough draft and I decided just to post it now or I won't ever finish it. I would like to create a quick start guide too that is a lot shorter. Hopefully, for anyone new you can just do a search on this page for any term that you more information about. :)

This is meant to be a guide to tell you how this game works. It would be great if others will add posts about some of the best strategies to use.

If you are new, please ask any questions you have. Maybe I can put together a FAQ section too.

Is there any way to get rid of paths that I don't need and has this problem caused other people to restart the game? lol

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
The dollar sign at the top of your tool bar is for selling off buildings and roads.
upload_2017-8-3_20-7-35.png

DeletedUser9702

FAQ

Do I have to spend money to play this game?

No!! Not at all. You do not have to buy diamonds to play this game. They make your life easier, make the game faster, and they will get you really cool culture buildings that you can't get otherwise, but you do not have to spend diamonds to play! If you see a task that can't be done and it looks like diamonds are the only way to get through it, look closer. All tasks can be done another way without spending diamonds.

What is the general gist of this game?

This is a city building game. It is a whole lot of fun!! I know this all looks complicated, but I have explained a lot of things that might be intuitive if you have ever tried any other city building game before. Basically, you build houses to get coins (rent) and workshops to get supplies and you use those things to build factories and make goods to keep your city going! It is pretty simple once you get the hang of the mechanics. The game has a lot of strategy though!

How do I fight?

That is a very complicated question. We have a lot of guides around here that help with fighting. Here is the one indispensable guide that we all read: https://beta.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/encounters-guide.488/

What is a fellowship?

Unlike other games, in Elvenar we don't fight each other. You use a fellowship in Elvenar to make friends and to have trading partners for your goods. Once in a fellowship, that consists of 25 players maximum, you have a chat and all your fellows will show up as trading partners without any trader fee. It is important to join a fellowship with players on roughly the same level as you. If you are brand new you can't be a great trading partner for people who are trading 10,000 at a time.

Where can I find a fellowship?

In the forums there is a section for each world...Arendyll, Winyandor, etc. Under the world name is a section of fellowships seeking members and members seeking fellowships. That is a great place to start. You can also find fellowships under the fellowship tab. (On your main city page, under your avatar and your name is your world ranking number. Click on that and then click on the fellowship tab.) Look for fellowships that have members with close to the same ranking you have. Then you can send a message to the archmage (the head of the fellowship) and ask them if they have room (send a message by clicking on the person's name and click the message tab.)

How do I even post on the forums?

You can't ask questions if you can't log into the forums! So first things first. In order to access the forums you need to go to your email and look for your FORUM PASSWORD. That is different than your game password. It was sent in a separate email. If you can't find it, send support a request for a new one. You won't be able to use your game password to log in here.

How do I get points?

You get ranking points by adding up the population and culture points that all your buildings need. Culture buildings in and of themselves do not give you any points at all, but you can't build anything without culture. You do get points for residences and all the upgrades because they use culture.

How do I get more coins and supplies?

First and foremost by helping your fellow man or elf! :) Every day you can visit someone in your fellowship and/or someone in your neighborhood that you have "discovered" or scouted. When you click on their name and click visit or just click on their city in the map, you will have a pair of helping hands on the bottom of your screen. Click on the hands and new little hand icons will appear over buildings in their city. If you click on a Culture building that player will get a culture boost, if you click on the main hall that player will get coins and if you click on their builders that player will get faster builders for a period of time. You might see a C or B or M or H in a player's city title. They are telling you which kind of help they prefer. You get a bonus in coins too for being such a good neighbor!! And if your neighbor has visited you in the past day, then you get bonus supplies too! It pays to be generous!!

The second way is quests quests and more quests! One line of the quests on the left is decline-able. You can decline them as needed. If you hit decline you get a scary message asking "Do you really want to decline this quest? This action cannot be reversed." Don't panic. These quests are on a loop. If you hit decline enough times you will get back to the one you just declined. Some quests are easy and take a few seconds, others take a long time. Use these to your advantage! If you are about to collect supplies, hit decline until you get to the gain x supplies quest. If you are heading to the world map to fight, make sure the fight 3 encounters quest is up. When you collect goods from your factories, have the gain x goods quest sitting there.

If you get really short of goods, you can "flip" quests with a friend in your fellowship. You do this by offering goods for trades back and forth. For example, if you have a quest that tells you to gain 1000 planks, you can trade 1000 planks for 1000 steel and then trade 1000 steel for 1000 planks. At the end of both of those trades you are back to even and you have't gained or lost anything. So why do that? Because if your friend keeps picking up those trades for you while you have the right quest on the screen, you can keep fulfilling that quest over and over. This is a very long and tedious process, but it sure can help in a pinch!

What is the best thing to buy?

If you are going to spend money on this game, then the first thing I would buy is a third builder. That is where the majority of down times comes from....from waiting for buildings to complete! The second best things to buy are expansions. You need room for those new buildings!

How do I make my city bigger?

There are a couple of ways to get more expansions in the game. Each expansion is a new 5 x 5 grid to add to your city. You can get them from clearing provinces on the world map, from the research tree, and you can buy them.

Under the builder icon in your city (bottom left) there is an expansion tab. Click on that and you will see the option to buy expansions with diamonds listed under premium expansions. (You don't have to buy them, but it makes your city bigger right away if you do).

You can get expansions from clearing the right research tab. Click on the research icon and go to the tech tree. Look for the ones that say city expansion. Once you have completed that tech, the new expansion will be under your builder tab. These expansions cost coins to place.

You can get expansions from clearing provinces in the world map either by negotiating or fighting. If you hover your mouse over the province expansion tab it will show you how many provinces you need in order to get the next expansion. If that section is bright green, you might have an expansion sitting there you can use right now! Just click on it and then place it in your city! These expansions do not cost any coins.

Warning: Once you place an expansion, it cannot be moved! So place it carefully!

Can I get diamonds any way other than buying them?

Almost never. Every once in a while there is a contest that you might be able to get some diamonds from if you win, but those are very rare and not many people usually win anything. It doesn't matter though! I have been playing this game from the beginning without ever buying diamonds and I am having lots of fun.

Is there a way to send player's messages?

Yes. Either in game or in the forums just click on the person's name and either send a message or "start a conversation".

Please, anyone with questions, please post them below so I can add to this list.

Hello.. being new to the game.. (June 2017) I am wondering how to get some of the upgrades for example culture...cannot be bought without diamonds...? I have just gotten to chapter 3 and very little is discussed about the Ancient Wonders that just depleted all my resources lol..... now I have to spend Knowledge points to use? <sigh>... Now to play shuffle with buildings... and yes storage land is good...but expensive... and roads take up space too!! cant we get some eminent domain here! ;) Great guide by the way... thank you for your time putting it together!

Silvianar

how can you tell when the rank or score goes up? Is it the same for a fellowship? Also Why can Narva not set up an account in the forum it tells her that her user name can't be found even when she is already in the game? Or that her password is not right when it is

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Your rank goes down as your score goes up. The number below your picture is your rank
upload_2017-8-21_11-31-54.png

If you click on your rank, you can see your score:
upload_2017-8-21_11-32-41.png

You have to have a game account to use the forums, but you are selecting a new password. When you try to create a forum account, you must provide your game name and password, but then you have to pick a forum password that is different.

Silvianar

Ashrem, She does provide her game name and password, I have even tried this for her, then she picks a different forum password. That is when the problem comes in because as soon as you submit it gives the error: Login or password is invalid. We have tried to do a search for her player name and it cannot find it. She is now an AM who cannot access the forums. HELP Please!!!!

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
I'm afraid I have no idea. Maybe an in-game ticket.
Either right-click on the game and pick "support" or click the question mark on the gear pop up at the bottom right.
upload_2017-8-22_7-17-49.png

BambiThumper

When I first started playing Elvenar I was so confused and I wished there was a new player guide someplace. So far, I have yet to see one posted anywhere. I decided to go back to the beginning, start a new world and follow along with the quests and explain everything in detail. It has taken me a long time to write this much and I know I need to add more. But, this is a beginning. It was too long to make one post, so I had to break it up. Since I will be adding to this, I created a few posts to add on later.

I know this could use a lot of editing, so please, post any edits you think are needed. This is a rough draft and I decided just to post it now or I won't ever finish it. I would like to create a quick start guide too that is a lot shorter. Hopefully, for anyone new you can just do a search on this page for any term that you more information about. :)

This is meant to be a guide to tell you how this game works. It would be great if others will add posts about some of the best strategies to use.

If you are new, please ask any questions you have. Maybe I can put together a FAQ section too.

Bobbykitty, I need help. As I understand it I do not require orcs as long as I scout less than 10 provinces away (I am not up to that and have scouted 6 times, all needing orcs. I am at a loss as what to do. I need one more expansion and am one province from getting it. Am I doing something wrong?

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Bobbykitty, I need help. As I understand it I do not require orcs as long as I scout less than 10 provinces away (I am not up to that and have scouted 6 times, all needing orcs. I am at a loss as what to do. I need one more expansion and am one province from getting it. Am I doing something wrong
Sadly Bobbkitty quit playing 8 months ago, but to answer your question, you are not scouting the provinces closest to you.
If you have cleared less than 222 provinces, there are still some that do not require orcs. You need to count how many hexes away a province is from your home city, and find the closest one to scout.

Lord Vulture

Ashrem, She does provide her game name and password, I have even tried this for her, then she picks a different forum password. That is when the problem comes in because as soon as you submit it gives the error: Login or password is invalid. We have tried to do a search for her player name and it cannot find it. She is now an AM who cannot access the forums. HELP Please!!!!
I'm using Firefox and have save3d my game password. When I try to sign into the Forums, the game password is automatically entered for Forums. I have to manually change to the Forum password. You might be having similar problems.

DeletedUser11590

Thank you so much for your help. Yes I am New to the game in Winyandor and perhaps I have made some mistakes already, but with this guide I am hoping to become a better player.

DeletedUser11444

DeletedUser11444

Hi, I'm fairly new and unfortunately I seem to need a lot of help. First thanks to pattylyn for answering my post. She says I just need paths to the buildings. My problem is the red circles with the line through it that keeps appearing. It used to be just the one building "residence". Then I tried to fix it and now its the other two also. I moved my main building and it ruined the other two "builders hut" and something else that I can't seem to collect from. It might be production thing. Anyway I want to know how to move it back so the two that were connected are still connected and to fix the one that wasn't and maybe get on with the game and these quests that people seem to be talking about. Thank you

restfulgreen@hotmail.com