• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

New Tournament Format

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
And it might be entirely lip service, but it did bring me hope.
Honestly, that's great and you shouldn't give up hope. Inno is extremely tight-lipped about timelines and for some bizarre reason doesn't tell us about most good changes until the last minute, so anything is possible.

My pessimism stems from the line "we want to make both platforms have all features" has been tossed around since the first week they released mobile. That said, there certainly has been a greater focus on improving mobile over browser (since that's where the new money is).
Messaging and AW access have been added and those seemed like they were taking forever too. Maybe it's just my shortened attention span?
Nah, that doesn't make sense, surely the real issue is... Oh, look, a squirrel!

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
With the changes being done to the tournaments, in the Beta forum there has been some talk about asking Inno to just get rid of manual fighting completely, though it probably won't happen as long as the browser version of the game is supported.

SoggyShorts

there has been some talk about asking Inno to just get rid of manual fighting completely
Why tho? The changes promote manual fighting since it's now effectively 400% as fast as it was.
Getting 1600 points was 140-200 encounters and now it'll be 35-50 which is much more reasonable time-wise

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Why tho? The changes promote manual fighting since it's now effectively 400% as fast as it was.
Getting 1600 points was 140-200 encounters and now it'll be 35-50 which is much more reasonable time-wise

Because no one really expects the app to ever get manual fighting, so app-only players get screwed over by browser players who manually fight being able to go further on fewer troops?

SoggyShorts

Because no one really expects the app to ever get manual fighting, so app-only players get screwed over by browser players who manually fight being able to go further on fewer troops?
Ahh, the classic "If I choose not to eat a cookie, no one should have the choice to have cookies" mentality. Nice.
Note: I am a 99% browser player who doesn't fight manually.

DeletedUser6326

I see some presumptions on this thread that may or may not be correct.
Whenever someone says INNO is begging for diamonds it makes me chuckle a bit.
This game is over 5 years old now and the player base is pretty vast and keeps growing every year. They put out their annual income/player's hours for all to see on many gaming sites.
If they were indeed losing income through Beta or the EN servers due to this tourney change, I'd think that they'd halt it completely pretty quickly, for the time being, if it was really a deal breaker with the amount of money coming in. Only they can see what's going on behind the scenes. It's not up to us to worry about that stuff.

When I see people talking down to the Moderators or managers or anyone helping the Elvenar game, it makes me so upset.
As stated many, many times, over the years, the Support Team are unpaid volunteers, who are regular players of the game, just like you or I. We don't know their play-style in-game nor their true opinions on features in the game.
Of course they aren't going to give negative feedback on the Forums as Moderators or whatevs. That would be against their job details. They can do that with their regular player accounts. They are there to help where they can and keep things positive in the game. They aren't part of the Development team.
Can you imagine how they'd feel if they were constantly being talked down to (as they are over in the EN Forum, for example) when maybe they share some of your same opinions as some of those players? I don't know any of them personally but I do know the Moderator gaming world and how they get treated like garbage when in reality they are working day in and day out for those players who treat them terribly.

All that out of the way, I was really excited an have given lots of good feedback to the new tourney system on Beta (optimistic person that I am in this game). However, the amounts of goods/orcs/mana needed have taken their toll on my town. It's simply too much. I'll keep playing it though, as I like playing in the tourney and gaining as many relics as I can each week. I'll just have to work around those Orcs and Mana provinces. ;)

Iyapo1

If people on mobile have a problem with that, they should log on using a browser.

And they should set graphic settings as high as possible on that browser. Wonder about and take in how truely beautiful the artwork is.

Deleted User - 1178646

I am not questioning your opinion on this in anyway.... After looking through YEARS of different threads and HUNDREDS of posts I can see that you have been spot on for almost everything you have ever posted about. And I thank you for all of the information you have brought to the Fourms, however a few months ago I left a comment on one of the you-tube videos that inno released, expressing my wish for mobile to have a manual fight feature and I got this response from the official channel..... And it might be entirely lip service, but it did bring me hope.

You may have to scroll up to see all of their post if you are on mobile.
We have seen in the past that they tried to remove manual fight altogether.

You should read that again ;)
The aim is to have both platforms similar as possible

This is neither a comformation nor a denial, I can aim to gather 1 million dollars in the next year, the change for being able to is ehhm... you can guess ;)

I would be very suprised if this would be even on the roadmap somewhere.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
If people on mobile have a problem with that, they should log on using a browser.

And they should set graphic settings as high as possible on that browser. Wonder about and take in how truely beautiful the artwork is.

So people should go out and buy a computer just to play this game? What a joke.

hvariidh gwendrot

somehow i never thought me playing from a pc was screwing over other players but if that's the case to bad for you and huzzah for me
edit add: i am as teamy as it gets with the fellowship, i don't see how the ones that like and get the extra kp and want to keep getting kp are selfish players ? they are doing extra to get it so that technically is helping and taking away the want to do more by taking away the incentive or making to costly to do seems to be backwards thinking

Last edited:

qaccy

So people should go out and buy a computer just to play this game? What a joke.
What did people who exclusively use their phones for internet access do before phones were able to do it? I got my first PC and dial-up connection back when cellphones still had monochrome displays and keypads! And even now that I have a smartphone myself, I still find the PC far more versatile and useful, especially when I'm at home and don't need a portable 'computer' in my pocket.

mikeledo

People quitting and not spending money may not be related to changes but the time we live in. I know folks who quit, but none state the tournament as the reason and as always the changes may be the push folks with real-life issues need to get out of the game. I know it is a little late but if the single fight format is too tough, maybe the devs should try 2 encounters instead and ween us down to a single fight at a much later date, giving them more time to develop a palatable algorithm. BTW I have still have a flip phone and an AOL account.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
What did people who exclusively use their phones for internet access do before phones were able to do it? I got my first PC and dial-up connection back when cellphones still had monochrome displays and keypads! And even now that I have a smartphone myself, I still find the PC far more versatile and useful, especially when I'm at home and don't need a portable 'computer' in my pocket.

Yes, the older generations still have PCs to go with their phone. Or they have updated to a laptop or maybe even just a tablet. And the younger generations are buying PCs of any kind in much smaller numbers. I am sure you can find a good number of people under 30, or maybe 25, who have never had a PC of their own. This is especially true of Apple customers. The mobile app is obviously the way of the future with this game or Inno would not be finally getting it closer to matching the browser. So while this game still skews in favor of the old people who play it, that will change, maybe one day to the point of the game going mobile-only.

BrinDarby

I'm on a tablet, on Wifi ... still using a browser... Even Ipads have browsers....

The concept of manual fighting goes back to checkers & chess.
SSI (Strategic Simulation Inc.) had many board then computer games
that utilized a hex system to connect land, in the early 80s.

Many computer games since the late 70's have had AI components, yet
the meat-bones was always manual fighting. Constantly here on Elvenar
I'm fighting and the AI moves directly into range while attacking another
piece, and subsequently dies. Inno has chosen the path of opponents with
more stats rather than the AI being better @ strategy.... as a bump in difficulty.

Take Valorian Guards with a 2 attack range.... a smart AI would never attack a
HM or LM in the adjacent hex , unless blocked.... and I see that happen all the time.
Or take a HR that doesn't have to move in range of a HM, to attack a LR, does
anyway, and thus dies @ the hands of the HM unit.

Guides say the AI (autofight) works better with all the same unit and rarely do
we use all 1 unit.... Players that just use autofight, to "get it over with" lose more
troops per fight, and miss out on 1 of the funnest aspects of combat here...

The largest segment of online gamers is not the melinials or gen y, Its Gen x'ers
and borderline boomers, who grew up when puters came of age... (psst) They also
by now have disposable income..... Try playing the Battle of Midway, on a hex grid
50x100 or bigger, with over a hundred of your pieces... talk about strategy...

There's no reason the mobile version can't have manual fighting other than
Inno making it so, and to be honest... if they play to the mass's , then they
have to dumb it down, cause lets face it wayyy too many stupid ppl out there.
Hense why there's Auto-fight to begin with.

Now since the system already exsists for 4 fights, just add a option to do 1
superfight.... that makes both camps happy....but then you have to want to
make both camps happy and have dev time to do so....

I have no sympathy for ppl who play from work with ltd time. You're @ work !!!
get back to work, not play online games on thier $$...

Consistently spiltting up your playerbase into groups that all want different
stuff just adds to the game as a whole being mediocre on all levels....

Old players, new players, mobile players, browser players..... It takes effort
and forethought to please all these groups @ the same time.... or you can
take the lazy/cheap way out and play to 1 or none of them ... especially
if you cater to dumb ppl versus smart ppl, there's a lot less smart ppl out there.

Elvenar is a ""Brand"" , and as such should be consistent across all platforms.
is Jiffy peanut butter different just cause its delivered, rather than bought in store ???
NO..... its Jiffy peanut better, same both ways....

sam767

CH16:
I auto-fight the tournament all of R1&2 and the first 9 in the rest. Usually about 5K. Mind-numbingly boring.
50-50 auto-fight/manual fight in the spire
A mix depending on how much time I have for new provinces. Everything is easy now.

Before introducing a tournament format that encourages more manual fighting, I would love to see the forwarded feature that provides some sort of preview of the battlefield. Most of the time I will change my approach after seeing the battlefield in a manual fight. Sadly, the context switching times to get into the battle are VERY slow. It would be great to do this only once for each manual fight. There are frequently interesting battles that I would like to manually fight, but I don't want to take the time. I'll just take the higher losses from the auto-fight.

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
I’m guessing the under 30 folks referred to probably don’t have the disposable income of us older folks. I’m sure Inno has very good stats on who is spending. If it was mobile only players they would be only doing mobile development.

hvariidh gwendrot

why the name calling for pc users .. i have an airport monitor for a screen it's 4 feet by 5 feet for 20 square feet of elvenar fun, or movies or news, sometimes i stream that stuff it's all better all wall sized trust me, then if i want to go somewhere oh look a phone in my pocket that is a camera too ? wow that is so 21st century .. i had 3 laptops but i lent them to 2 20 somethings and 1 30 something and don't expect them back ha .. no need to angst over what anyone else is doing .. stress is bad