• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

New Tournament Format

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
Hi MadMax
We have offered the developers a number of suggestions, on the Beta and International server. Many players are unhappy with how the squad sizes are calculated, some folks have highlighted that the numbers in opponents start out low and scale up too quickly. We ask for updates from the mods (on the International server) and are told that the developers are testing suggestions and running the projections on their Alpha server.

The new format does save time, but it chews up a lot of troops and other resources while limiting the number of provinces that can feasibly be played. We are seeing a lot of player dissatisfaction, and an increasing number of 'retired' high level cities. Diamond sales seem to be falling off sharply as well.

DeletedUser19458

We are seeing a lot of player dissatisfaction, and an increasing number of 'retired' high level cities. Diamond sales seem to be falling off sharply as well.
Shocker. Nobody saw that coming.

CrazyWizard

Oh Wise One
Hi MadMax
We have offered the developers a number of suggestions, on the Beta and International server. Many players are unhappy with how the squad sizes are calculated, some folks have highlighted that the numbers in opponents start out low and scale up too quickly. We ask for updates from the mods (on the International server) and are told that the developers are testing suggestions and running the projections on their Alpha server.

The new format does save time, but it chews up a lot of troops and other resources while limiting the number of provinces that can feasibly be played. We are seeing a lot of player dissatisfaction, and an increasing number of 'retired' high level cities. Diamond sales seem to be falling off sharply as well.
Depends, as we might be forced into manual mode if you want a "high score" instead of an average one.
In that case the new format will take more time, not less

BrinDarby

As a newer player, I like 4 battles per Tournament Sector.... going to 1 cuts playtime and enjoyment.
If it also chews troops more than the current system.... Inno will scare both old and new players away
from this game in 1 fell swoop...... lets hope that does not occur..... the new Training cue doesnt do
anything for smaller players with limited research, and the 2nd cue... is Cerebus only.

I also understand the difficulty formula is being tweak'd, as to expansions, SS ++ , and other factors.
If Inno piss's off the old and the new players, double whammy on future revenue to the servers.

Inno has made it impossible for me to fight in Spire or regular provinces, don't take away Tourns too, plz

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One

Yes, lots of whining from end-game players and those who froze their cities in certain chapters to take advantage (cheat) the system. Basically, if you are not a KP Hunter, these changes will benefit you and your fellowship, as more fellowships will be able to hit 10 chests more easily and often. My Beta city is halfway through chapter 6 and I can easily get 2000-2500 points per week without the easy stars of the old system. And just looking at how it works on Beta and comparing to my end-of-chapter 16 here, I will still have no problem getting 3000-4000 points. I just won't be getting it by going for 2 stars in the first 30 or 40 provinces. I am happy to lose those KP if it helps my fellowship get more chests each week. I am not one of the selfish players who only think of themselves.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
these changes will benefit you and your fellowship, as more fellowships will be able to hit 10 chests more easily and often.
This assumes a lot. The new system promotes doing the same provinces many times instead of a few provinces a few times.
In order for this to benefit fellowships and help more of them get 10 chests there has to be a majority of players who have a schedule allowing them to take advantage of the now easier 5th & 6th star.
I will still have no problem getting 3000-4000 points. I just won't be getting it by going for 2 stars in the first 30 or 40 provinces. I am happy to lose those KP if it helps my fellowship get more chests each week. I am not one of the selfish players who only think of themselves.
Careful now, saying that you are ok with exchanging KP for more tournament chests while implying that others who are disappointed in losing KP while gaining nothing are whiners comes off as a little selfish ;)

Pheryll

Set Designer
The easiest fix that I see is to make the spire/new tourney formula quadratic just like squad size is quadratic. Right now it feels like the devs are trying to force a square peg into a round hole and are trying to cut corners to make it work.

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
Depends, as we might be forced into manual mode if you want a "high score" instead of an average one.
In that case the new format will take more time, not less
Well, seeing as I have said numerous times that I fight for the sheer joy, can you see that perhaps I am not referring to dancing swords on a screen while the computer calculates who brought the best troops? I enjoy the manual fight system, always do fight most encounters, especially with varying levels of difficulty or those that require multiple troop types.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Careful now, saying that you are ok with exchanging KP for more tournament chests while implying that others who are disappointed in losing KP while gaining nothing are whiners comes off as a little selfish ;)

You are on the Beta forum too, so I know you have seen the comments from some of those selfish, entitled, me-first players there. In my opinion, if Inno makes changes that makes that kind of player quit, it will only improve the game, or at least the experience on the forum. lol

When you quit for a while, you a had legit list of a dozen or so things that Inno should change or fix. You did not throw a temper tantrum over one thing that would hurt your personal style of play.

SoggyShorts

You did not throw a temper tantrum over one thing that would hurt your personal style of play.
I didn't have a temper tantrum that you saw. :mad:

But in all seriousness I've not said a whole lot about the changes on Beta because for the most part I just want my 10 chests, however many KP that is, and I want it fast.
I also was perhaps the biggest pusher for Inno to reduce the encounters from 4 to 1 (the top request on that list of mine you mentioned) so at least some of the unintended consequences could be blamed on me...
TBH if going from 4 encounters down to 1 had increased my losses by 100% per province/week I'd still be happy (but saying that on Beta will get you lynched)

CrazyWizard

Oh Wise One
I didn't have a temper tantrum that you saw. :mad:

But in all seriousness I've not said a whole lot about the changes on Beta because for the most part I just want my 10 chests, however many KP that is, and I want it fast.
I also was perhaps the biggest pusher for Inno to reduce the encounters from 4 to 1 (the top request on that list of mine you mentioned) so at least some of the unintended consequences could be blamed on me...
TBH if going from 4 encounters down to 1 had increased my losses by 100% per province/week I'd still be happy (but saying that on Beta will get you lynched)

Not from me, i am ok with it I only have 2 issues with the new factor
  • No time to learn combat as the first provinces are hilarious easy so nothing to learn there when it's so easy that your swordancers sweep the floor with treants, then a handfull are usefull and then the losses are to big for an inexperienced player wghich will discourage them to even try.
  • Stupid formula breaks the game, differences between 2 players in the same chapter of 400, 1000 or even 15000% are just silly, broken en ridicule.
That it's insane hard / impossible to do 90 provinces a week, well that was expected and so be it.

dikke ikke

if you can do 90 provinces in a tourney, you must have scouted a whole lot of provinces, and your scouting time must be 5 or 6 days. I only fight all my provinces twice and have 'only' 60+ provinces and a scouting time 3,5 days. I am curious about the new tourney system, when they changed it from 8 to 4 fights and made the fighting harder there was a lot of drama too. Inno tries every trick in the book to slow top players down, making the tourney harder so you win less kp is one of the tricks otherwise top players have all their AWs at level 35 in no time

SoggyShorts

Inno tries every trick in the book to slow top players down
It's because they have no hardcore players[on staff] or even any staff who thinks like a hardcore. Then they also fail to listen to those hardcore players and
they have to find a way to reign in those runaway players to keep the game together.
E.G. the firechicken is OP and we told them so. Letting players get 3 brown bears was ridiculous and apparent to Beta players immediately.

Last edited:

Deleted User - 4750465

It's because they have no hardcore players or even any staff who thinks like a hardcore. Then they also fail to listen to those hardcore players and
they have to find a way to reign in those runaway players to keep the game together.
E.G. the firechicken is OP and we told them so. Letting players get 3 brown bears was ridiculous and apparent to Beta players immediately.
I'm fairly new to this game, and I don't understand why they don't make buying diamonds attractive. I have played other Inno games, and the worth of the diamonds and packages is comical. I'm the kind of player that will spend $10-$20 (especially for those progressive style early game purchases). It appears they have plenty of accounts across all their servers.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
The easiest fix that I see is to make the spire/new tourney formula quadratic just like squad size is quadratic. Right now it feels like the devs are trying to force a square peg into a round hole and are trying to cut corners to make it work.

Okay, not being a math genius, can you explain "quadratic?" I know what a quadratic equation is, even if I don't know what it does...LOL. Thanks.

AJ

Pheryll

Set Designer
Okay, not being a math genius, can you explain "quadratic?" I know what a quadratic equation is, even if I don't know what it does...LOL. Thanks.

AJ
Squad size is quadratic as each additional one increases linearly (the first +3 the next +6, the next +9, etc.) so that the total of all squad sizes up to squad size X is 1.5X^2 + 1.5X.

The spire equation (which is being used for the new tournament) is exponential for researching. Thus each new chapter gives roughly the same percentage increase as the previous assuming that they have a similar number of technologies.

With only 4 squad size techs offered in each of the guest race chapters, it is easy to see how exponential functions will eventually outdo a quadratic making it difficult for the exponential equation to yield the same level of difficulty at the beginning as it does at the end.

MadMax99X

Well, seeing as I have said numerous times that I fight for the sheer joy, can you see that perhaps I am not referring to dancing swords on a screen while the computer calculates who brought the best troops? I enjoy the manual fight system, always do fight most encounters, especially with varying levels of difficulty or those that require multiple troop types.
I also enjoy manual fighting for the same reasons you stated, thanks for you reply.