• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Newbie Province Help Needed!!

Mookz

I just made level 2 and I have completed the Advance Scouts in the research area. ALL of the provinces on my world map are listed as Very Hard. I think I am about 3 provinces away from my city. What do I have to do to lower the difficulty of the provinces? And I am assuming that I need to continue to do research to train my troops - so that I can have access to a better and bigger squad?

Henroo

Oh Wise One
The difficulty of a province is set by how much it costs to scout. If you have already gotten the Advanced Scouts technology there is nothing you can do to lower the cost. At least until you reach chapter 3, when you will get another Advanced Scout tech. You can unlock Squad Size Increase techs in the research tree. This will let you send larger groups of troops into battle. There will still be the same enemy forces in the provinces, but since you have bigger armies it makes it easier to win. The game is taking your squad size into account when it rates how hard a province is. Getting a Squad Size increase will often switch rating from Very Hard to Hard. Sometimes even Medium.

One final note: it is not always a good thing to scout too far away, too soon. Because the difficulty of a province is set at the time you scout it. And the first advance of every new chapter is always Advanced Scouts. For example, if you scout all the provinces you are going to need in chapter 3 while you are still in chapter 2 then they are going to be more difficult to complete than had you waited to scout some of them. Because you have already scouted them without the benefit of the chapter 3 Advanced Scouts.

StarLoad

Let me correct something already mentioned when you complete a Squad Size update Tech you will lower the provinces by ONE level so from VERY HARD to HARD and so on down to Very Easy. You may have already over scouted so you need to wait and let the game catch up to you. In general terms, you should try to stay at Medium and below on provinces and once you get out to chapter 3 or 4 you should see it become normal to only see Very easy and Easy provinces.

BrinDarby

@Mookz ,
What server... heh ..
Yeah sounds like you're overscouted.... there is a sweet spot before
you finish CH3 ( and don't take the last forced SS upgrade, so yes you
will get research stuck...) where you can chill for a few weeks and get
your city better situated, and perhaps do 1-2 of the Adventures to win
better buildings that will help your city alot.... before you move on...

As a CH3 player, I'm just learning fighting better playing tournaments.
I am also learning/playing in the Spire each week, and getting those rewards.
For that you will need to be in a FS, even if you start your own, but better
to leverage your learning in a FS for better rewards for same effort/cost.
@ CH3 Spire is avail, that will help you earn stuff for the MagicAcademy,
and I reccomend a couple CH3 GotOS (orcs) and/or ValVal ( Val guards ).
its bonus troops you can't research at a rate thats doable at that level....
and lets face it... a CH3 GotOS is 370 culture for 2x4, and the better 3x3
basic culture bldg is only 400, so for 30 less culture, you get 7 Orcs in 6hr
or 15 in 12hr. They really add up over time if you use them sparingly.....

So get thru CH2, the game opens up @ CH3, then see if you can do Tournaments
at a respectable ratio where you can learn combat again... Find a way to cater
thru lvl-1 in the spire, even if you stop there.... if you never spend diamonds,
thats where you can make 50-200 a week just doing all of lvl-1 each week...

I'm way more overscouted than you are, and tournaments are doable for me.
BrinD

LutherTheHairy

@Mookz

Scout as much as you need, not as much as you can. Scout when you REALLY need that province expansion and are just one or two completed provinces away, or when your boosted goods tournament comes up and there is an unscouted medium of that good right on your border and you can score a dozen more relics by adding it in, or there is some quest that you want to complete that needs encounters or something and there is a easy scout right on your border...

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Players have been complaining for years that there is a difficult spot in the early-mid chapters. The formula used for province scouting costs is hard on players in chapters 3-5, and the developers either haven;t, or can't come up with a better formula. That stage will be frustrating if you are trying to fight everything. You will pretty much be foreced to negotiate and move a little slower until you blend smoothly back into the formula again later.

And then around ring 12 you will hit the requirement for "orcs" to cater, and will have another impediment, which you have no way of overcoming until you are int he orcs chapter,, but no point borrowing that trouble in chapter 3

Henroo

Oh Wise One
And then around ring 12 you will hit the requirement for "orcs" to cater, and will have another impediment, which you have no way of overcoming until you are int he orcs chapter,, but no point borrowing that trouble in chapter 3

I BADLY overscouted when I was a brand new player. I learned from that and got a lot more conservative with my scouting. Just do enough to advance and then pause scouting till you get the next chapter Advanced Scouts. I am currently in Orcs. I have enough provinces scouted to advance to Woodelves. Have not hit the requirement for Orcs to scout with yet. I know it is coming. But you can get completely out of Orcs before it hits you.

DeletedUser22816

And then around ring 12 you will hit the requirement for "orcs" to cater, and will have another impediment, which you have no way of overcoming until you are int he orcs chapter
ok so I am 75% done with the advanced scouts for O&G and I am scouting what shows as 8 in the display of provinces. Does that mean I am on the 8th ring?

DeletedUser22816

Yes. The number of ranking points you earn for completing an encounter is equal to the ring number for that province.
So I wont hit the need for Orcs for 3 more rings and I can start making Orcs now .... Sounds like a win-win

Henroo

Oh Wise One
So I wont hit the need for Orcs for 3 more rings and I can start making Orcs now .... Sounds like a win-win
You will need orcs for making your guest race goods in that chapter. Also for some of the orc level upgrades to your other buildings like workshopsl

Henroo

Oh Wise One
@Ashrem The actual upgrades. One of the goods required to upgrade my workshops from level 20 to L21 is 1910 orcs. The residence upgrades do not seem to need them.

DeletedUser22816

You will need orcs for making your guest race goods in that chapter. Also for some of the orc level upgrades to your other buildings like workshopsl
Yes yes, I will need them starting in the O&G chapter but I was speaking to the need for Orcs in scouting.

Aritra

Reading this thread triggered a question that I think is relevant (why I didn't create new thread):
Is there a correlation with the ring level on the world map and the chapters? When you talk about over-scouting, is that one way to tell (just an example: completing ring 7 but still in chapter 6)?

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
When you talk about over-scouting, is that one way to tell (just an example: completing ring 7 but still in chapter 6)?
No, It's not that rigid a correlation. All you really have is how difficult the encounters are, and how many the game says you must finish to open the next chapter. Specific rings are not relevant to chapters (aside from needing orcs to finish ring ring 12)

Last edited:

Aritra

No, It's not that right a correlation. All you really have is how difficult the encounters are, and how many the game says you must finish to open the next chapter. Specific rings are not relevant to chapters (aside from needing orcs to finish ring ring 12)
Ok. Thanks

Mykan

Oh Wise One
I don't think I'm very syre of things, being new to the game...Think I am midway in the 2nd chapter??? in technology. I don't know how much the next encounters are worth. Was hoping there was another way. I'll have to wait a while. Thank for your time in answering. Appreciate it.

Sadly you are in the most difficult place in the game to do combat on the world map. Your best bet is to negotiate province, scout the minimum amount of provinces and potentially research all squad size techs (this is a whole discussion by itself). You will then find around chapter 5 ish you can start to combat on the world map.

This is no fault of your own, its the way they designed the game. Combat gets easier and easier in the world map as you go depending on your choices.

Let me correct something already mentioned when you complete a Squad Size update Tech you will lower the provinces by ONE level so from VERY HARD to HARD and so on down to Very Easy.

This is incorrect, they do not get one level easier each tech, otherwise I would have very very very easy provinces. It can happen that they get easier with that tech but it is not a guarentee as it is not the mechanism that directly changes difficulty. It has an influence on the cost of scouting, which influence enemy troops which influences difficulty representation.

Players have been complaining for years that there is a difficult spot in the early-mid chapters. The formula used for province scouting costs is hard on players in chapters 3-5, and the developers either haven;t, or can't come up with a better formula. That stage will be frustrating if you are trying to fight everything. You will pretty much be foreced to negotiate and move a little slower until you blend smoothly back into the formula again later.

Sadly they don't see this as an issue. I advocated for a change for years, gave up when a CM told me there is no issue so they won't do anything as there is nothing to fix.

StarLoad

This is incorrect, they do not get one level easier each tech, otherwise I would have very very very easy provinces. It can happen that they get easier with that tech but it is not a guarentee as it is not the mechanism that directly changes difficulty. It has an influence on the cost of scouting, which influence enemy troops which influences difficulty representation.
Then please educate me as to what causes all unscouted provinces that are shown as Hard to change to Medium and all that are shown as Medium to change to Easy when I complete a Squad Size Upgrade Tech? I am of course using this as an example
And yes I realize that the provinces can only go to Very Easy and nothing lower.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Then please educate me as to what causes all unscouted provinces that are shown as Hard to change to Medium and all that are shown as Medium to change to Easy when I complete a Squad Size Upgrade Tech? I am of course using this as an example
And yes I realize that the provinces can only go to Very Easy and nothing lower.
They do change from a new Squad tech, but it is a formula which might or might not be enough to change any given encounter. So a tech might shift them all to easier but some might not be enough easier to be a whole category. so they would be easier, but might not look any different. When you get to larger rings, the first and last provinces scouted may have a difference of hundreds of thousands of coins in the scouting cost, so part of your ring could be hard while part isn't. When your rings are relatively small, this is less likely to happen.