• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

[Archived 02/2020] News from Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser3507

Rebalancing - Nerfing is when the Developer believes they made it to easy so they screw it up so that is worse than what it should be.....;):):p

Last edited by a moderator:

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
worse than what it should be...
LOL jp! Tell us how you really feel!
Yes, nerfing is rebalancing when the developers reduce the benefits of items they have determined are too 'powerful' in the game. Theoretically, this would happen when live users do things in game the developers failed to account for that cause rewards to be inflated beyond what they consider reasonable. I don't know if there's a word for rebalancing when they decide to increase the benefits of items that are not as 'powerful' as they intended, like the recent upgrade to the Wishing Wells.
I have yet to see the promised reason for it.
The last I heard, they had a major problem with the Restoration Spell when they tested it. It essentially broke the mobile app. Have not seen any updates on progress once they hit that roadblock, but have seen other threads asking about the same thing.

Still giggling over here, jp :p

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
I don't know if there's a word for rebalancing when they decide to increase the benefits of items that are not as 'powerful' as they intended, like the recent upgrade to the Wishing Wells.
In most gamer talk Nerf is the opposite of a Buff.

In general, it is more likely to keep players happy if you buff everything else instead of nerfing things, but more work too.

DeletedUser3507

LOL jp! Tell us how you really feel!
Yes, nerfing is rebalancing when the developers reduce the benefits of items they have determined are too 'powerful' in the game. Theoretically, this would happen when live users do things in game the developers failed to account for that cause rewards to be inflated beyond what they consider reasonable. I don't know if there's a word for rebalancing when they decide to increase the benefits of items that are not as 'powerful' as they intended, like the recent upgrade to the Wishing Wells.

The last I heard, they had a major problem with the Restoration Spell when they tested it. It essentially broke the mobile app. Have not seen any updates on progress once they hit that roadblock, but have seen other threads asking about the same thing.

Still giggling over here, jp :p
I dare not.. I would be shot by the Forum Manager...;):):D

DeletedUser9601

Exactly the same as the last Phoenix cult event

Moon splinter calculationsSmallMediumLarge

[TR1][TD]Splinters per chest[/TD][TD]25.4[/TD][TD]57.7[/TD][TD]103[/TD][/TR1]
[TR2][TD]Splinters per sun flare[/TD][TD]5.08[/TD][TD]5.77[/TD][TD]5.15[/TD][/TR2]
[TR2][TD]Splinters per 1% coin[/TD][TD]11.289[/TD][TD]7.693[/TD][TD]12.005[/TD][/TR2]
[TR1][TD]Splinters per 1% supply[/TD][TD]11.289[/TD][TD]7.693[/TD][TD]12.005[/TD][/TR1]
[TR2][TD]Splinters per 1 hour boost[/TD][TD]26.737[/TD][TD]37.961[/TD][TD]24.524[/TD][/TR2]
[TR1][TD]Splinters per daily building[/TD][TD]362.857[/TD][TD]443.856[/TD][TD]412[/TD][/TR1]
[TR2][TD]Splinters per knowledge point[/TD][TD]46.182[/TD][TD]52.455[/TD][TD]37.455[/TD][/TR2]
Question for people. Assuming 5,000 total splinters (slight over-estimate, but a nice round number). You would get 133KP going all large (vs 108KP for small) and about 13 more hours of boost. But otherwise small is getting you better results across the board for daily buildings (a little more than 1.5 extra daily buildings), instants and sun flares.

The one wrinkle seems to be that medium is substantially better for coin/supply boosts, but no one wants that.

So consensus is go small?

DeletedUser9247

Yep. All small. Of course, you must be prepared for the inevitable posts of "Well I have better luck with big boxes, therefore big boxes are better, Also it helps when my pants are on backward and I click 'fast-slow-slow-fast'".
All I can say is, when I tried your way the 1st winter event it gave me 7 stars, all other events I went big boxes and got at least 10 dailies. May be a fluke that lasts for 2 years or those pants may be more effective when worn on head....;)

SoggyShorts

All I can say is, when I tried your way the 1st winter event it gave me 7 stars, all other events I went big boxes and got at least 10 dailies. Maybe a fluke that lasts for 2 years or those pants may be more effective when worn on head....;)
That's just how odds work.
Let's say when rolling a die that is numbered 1,2,3,4,5,6 and you are allowed one of two bets, either
1. It will be 1,2, or 3
or
2. it will be 5 or 6

I can tell you that when rolling a die that you will win more if you guess that it will be 1,2, or 3 and then you can lose 4 times in a row.
Or you guess that it will be 5 or 6 and be right 3 times in a row- that's just luck.
But if a thousand players roll a thousand dice, the clear pattern of 123 winning more will emerge.

If you had continued with all smalls for every event the last 2 years you would have gotten about 1 more daily each event on average. You got really unlucky in the first event and since then have been fairly lucky betting on 5&6. I can only tell you the outcome based on "average lucky";)

Pheryll

Set Designer
All I can say is, when I tried your way the 1st winter event it gave me 7 stars, all other events I went big boxes and got at least 10 dailies. May be a fluke that lasts for 2 years or those pants may be more effective when worn on head....;)

Different strategy with different reward system. There are three reward systems if I recall correctly. The first one ran from the beginning to the three trolls winter event. There small was best for dailies, but large for grand prize. The second one ran for Phoenix Cult and this Harvest one. There small was best for dailies and grand prize. The third one had many different boxes and was used for Woodelvenstock.

DeletedUser9247

That's just how odds work.

But if a thousand players roll a thousand dice, the clear pattern of 123 winning more will emerge.

If you had continued with all smalls for every event the last 2 years you would have gotten about 1 more daily each event on average. You got really unlucky in the first event and since then have been fairly lucky betting on 5&6. I can only tell you the outcome based on "average lucky";)
The thing is I don't have 1000 tries. Predictions based on statistics work with large numbers and tend to fail miserably with small ones. I usually go for more than 1 daily and that decreases my points pool even further, but gives me additional buildings I want aside from the one I'm focusing on.
Last 3 events:
10 mana huts+1 techno tent+1 mother dragon= 12 dailies- no time boosters offered
1 spring cage+ 1 obtrusive egg+3 burning pools+2 burning eggs=7 buildings + 20/14h time instants ,don't remember how many,but since it was my focus, lets average dailies to 10
10 frozen fountains+1 snow village+1 frozen ship=12 buildings+ 20/14h time instants (don't remember how many)
My point is that I have small amount of tries for each prize and that's why big boxes will work better for me.

SoggyShorts

The thing is I don't have 1000 tries. Predictions based on statistics work with large numbers
But....small boxes give you more tries. The more boxes that you open, the closer to average you will get.
Big boxes = fewer tries = bigger swings from the middle.
Predictions based on statistics work with large numbers and tend to fail miserably with small ones.
While predictions will be wrong more often with a smaller sample size, that does not justify choosing the box that has worse odds, especially if choosing that box further reduces the sample size.

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
While predictions will be wrong more often with a smaller sample size, that does not justify choosing the box that has worse odds, especially if choosing that box further reduces the sample size.

I am not planning on doing this event as I usually do for reasons stated in other thread. On prior events I usually do lean toward the large 140 chests. That is not entirely because of better prize odds. It is because I am not disappointed when I get a nice chunk of KP or a longer time boost. This time I'm thinking I will stick with the small chests to try to get the prizes I want since I am not planning on spending another dime when the 2nd splinter sale rolls around. In the past that is when I try to estimate what I may lack to get all of the grand prizes and spend accordingly.

SoggyShorts

It is because I am not disappointed when I get a nice chunk of KP or a longer time boost.
Absolutely. That is a perfectly logical reason to go for big boxes. Personally, I'm always talking about daily exclusive building odds as I ignore all other prizes.
And really what we are talking about is 1 more daily building on average per event- nothing game breaking.

DeletedUser9247

But....small boxes give you more tries. The more boxes that you open, the closer to average you will get.
Big boxes = fewer tries = bigger swings from the middle.

But those odds are counted on the large sample size. For me, when I give my self 4 tries at a daily, those odds are as relevant as number of stars in the galaxy far far away. If I have 4 tries what is more likely to give me the prize?
Today I've opened 2 large boxes and got 2 lotuses. What are the odds of that happening with a small box?

SoggyShorts

But those odds are counted on the large sample size. For me, when I give my self 4 tries at a daily, those odds are as relevant as number of stars in the galaxy far far away. If I have 4 tries what is more likely to give me the prize?
If you had 4 tries with big boxes, that means you had 560 moon splinters. Why would that equal 4 small boxes? 4 small boxes is only 200 moon splinters-- how is that a fair comparison? Shouldn't you get at least 560 moonsplinters to spend on small boxes too?

Before you started opening boxes did you decide "I'm only going to click 4x"?
What would you have done if you rolled 140 free splinters each time? Quit rolling?
Going by the number of tries doesn't make sense. Going by "I'll only spend XXX splinters" does.
Today I've opened 2 large boxes and got 2 lotuses. What are the odds of that happening with a small box?
As explained: the odds of getting any number of buildings with 560 splinters is slightly higher with small boxes than it is with big boxes.
The odds are small, with the small boxes, the bigger the better chance.
That is incorrect unless you are only opening 1 box which is unfair since a big box costs more.
On average you need to spend 412 moonsplinterrs on big boxes to get a building. Small boxes only need 362.

If you complete all of the quests and collect some splinters around your city you'll get just over 4K of them. Spending all of that on big boxes should get you around 10 building plus a bunch of other stuff. Spending it on small should get you 11 buildings.

It's not a huge difference, but the math on it is proven and settled- anything else is just "feelings"

Last edited:

DeletedUser9247

On average you need to spend 412 moonsplinterrs on big boxes to get a building. Small boxes only need 362.

I don't argue your math. I trust you to be correct with the odds you gave for the boxes...not that I could ever prove it one way or the other. So it doesn't mean much to me that "the math on it is proven and settled". What I can judge is my experience of reality not conforming to the theory.
I KNOW that the numbers and math say I'm better with small box, I can wrap my head around it when you explain it...and I get burned getting nothing in 20 tries...
I've seen people lamenting it happens to them with all kind of boxes, so again I KNOW it is to be expected and eventually it will happen to me if I play long enough...on the other hand big boxes have consistently given me dailies on 1st try through many events. I KNOW it's a fluke and it will work until it doesn't.
I think you are right in what you're saying, but my way of doing things has been more rewarding to me. You can dismiss it as "feelings" as much as you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.