• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

News from Beta - May Contain Spoilers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeledo

Well, I really loved last year's zodiac event and loved the bears (except panda) and the time boost dailies. I made good use of time boosts to finish quests quickly to earn more artifacts and time boosts, but there's a practical limit to that. For me, it came down to scouting, completing provinces and CCs to get vision vapor. Once it started to cost more time boosts than I would likely get back, that's when I knew it was time to stop. I was also content with my progress and didn't feel the need to kill myself to get more than 2 leveled brown bears.

The problem for me is adjusting from last year's really good events to this year's lackluster ones. The troop instants were a nice addition, but overall it's hard to get used to something good and then have it taken away. Same deal with tournaments. I spent years building up my ability to go deep into the tournaments and looked forward to continuing that. Hitting a wall of difficulty that may be too difficult to overcome will kill the joy of it.
The problem I had with the Zodiac event is that bears are not part of the zodiac.

T6583

How is the new tournament format going in Beta? I am very curious how the testing and modifications to it are going there. Also, has there been any indication of when the live worlds will get it?
As a Ch. 2 city in Beta the fighting portion isn’t terrible at all but I think the negotiation costs are too high. Especially since they said it would be reduced prior to even being released. Negotiation costs seem to be high for most players there. Advanced players and even some mid level players aren’t giving the new format much love. Yeah the less clicks is nice but the post release thread on Beta is over 50 pages long. It seems that only a few causal players have chimed in so far that they like the changes. I personally think that Inno has a lot of issues they need to figure out and look at before even considering bringing the new format to Live worlds.

Jackluyt

Platinum Leaf -FB
How is the new tournament format going in Beta? I am very curious how the testing and modifications to it are going there. Also, has there been any indication of when the live worlds will get it?

I have not seen any official modifications announced. Generally it is going well - I enjoy the quick tournament round which is saving me a lot of time. Catering is cheaper, and one has to cater all fights after a certain level - one just can't make enough troops to match the huge enemy armies. I would like them to ease the restrictions on fighting a bit though - my strong city now can only do 20 provinces to day five, while my smaller cities do a lot more. It seems they have over-corrected in favour of the newcomers - yet again.

I doubt if it will go live for a while yet - but one never knows.

hvariidh gwendrot

deep thoughts at 420 :cool: ... with the troops for map, tournaments, or spire as a player gets bigger and more advanced they should enjoy the interaction of harder to beat opponents, a new to game player should also have hard to beat opponents for tournaments, the map, and spire and learn and grow .. speaking for myself who has not cheated in any way and used credit card power on Ceravyn (premium expansions) i got in to the game with the goal of having every ancient wonder maxed, now i see a potential release to live where that having paid to have the area to place my wonders, then hoofed it up to constructs chapter to be told ...what? the spire will be the hardest for you over anyone else other than the ones who have gone further on map and have been around long enough to have placed all the wonders and maxed them out for full potential play ? the tournaments are now what? the wonders were built to enhance my cities abilities for production to negotiate, and enhance troop training speed, que size, troop strength and health for combat but not really? it's now the more wonders and the more upgrades you have done the harder tournaments will be and again as a kicker those expansions you have well boom zing screw you ? Oh the map i am at 485 its 73hr and change to scout 6mil coin (pocket change) and 25 provinces per expansion, and that's fine the farther out i get the longer it should take and the required number of provinces needed to expand should also go up, but now what ? having gotten here i am penalized for going faster than some arbitrary ratio of provinces to chapter speed or even just the number of expansions i have stayed and played in the game to get that's now a whammy? i understand have a sliding scale, grading on a curve, keeping the largest % of income players active and engaged, etc etc seriously i get it ... so i would like to know, how any of those 3 scenarios .. by themselves alone, combined in any fashion, or sent out all 3 at once to live is a good idea ?

Last edited:

Agvar

I quite like the new Tournament, certainly much quicker with a 75% reduction in clicks, and I think it's more balanced. I will miss the changing helmet styles shown on the World map, and I'm not a fan of the big green 'Open' signs.

Last edited:

SoulsSilhouette

Buddy Fan Club member
I have not had the time to be here lately. I've read all the posts with great interest, and I must confess, some amusement.

I am fine with each troop build having separate training slots. I've wanted that for yonks. In fact since I started playing this game. I'm not able to be on 24/7 constantly cycling through so that I have a ton of each kind. I need more troops ... so any movement in that direction is a huge plus as far as I can see....

Jackluyt

Platinum Leaf -FB
Balancing Changes to Spire and Tournaments were made in today's upgrade in Beta World:
  • We reduced the impact of regular and premium Expansions in the difficulty calculations for Tournaments and the Spire of Eternity. Premium Expansions have had their impact reduced even more than regular expansions.
  • We reduced chances to require Orcs and Mana while catering tournament provinces.
  • We slightly reduced chances to require Coins and Supplies while catering tournament provinces.

117341794_10217411056408984_7160420616454674318_n.jpg

Risen Malchiah

We reduced the impact of regular and premium Expansions in the difficulty calculations for Tournaments and the Spire of Eternity. Premium Expansions have had their impact reduced even more than regular expansions.
Better, but still flawed. Expansions (and AWs) should not be used to determine tournament difficulty.

Base the difficulty on *mandatory* squad size upgrades alone. Let optional squad upgrades improve the ratio of player vs enemy troops. It's simple. It keeps difficulty in line with progression. And doesn't unfairly punish people for expanding (especially those who paid diamonds for expansions).

AtaguS

Better, but still flawed. Expansions (and AWs) should not be used to determine tournament difficulty.

Base the difficulty on *mandatory* squad size upgrades alone. Let optional squad upgrades improve the ratio of player vs enemy troops. It's simple. It keeps difficulty in line with progression. And doesn't unfairly punish people for expanding (especially those who paid diamonds for expansions).
Yes please.

DeletedUser9601

Then what is the point of skipping the optional squad size techs?

Risen Malchiah

For those who don't fight I suppose. What's the point of skipping optional city expansions? Up til now I thought there wouldn't a reason for that, but if expansions play a role in difficulty for spire & tourney, then it makes skipping them more reasonable.

Pheryll

Set Designer
For those who don't fight I suppose. What's the point of skipping optional city expansions? Up til now I thought there wouldn't a reason for that, but if expansions play a role in difficulty for spire & tourney, then it makes skipping them more reasonable.
If the impact of expansions scaled properly with the chapter advancement to remain proportional to troop production, I would have no problem.
Previously I referenced this as a possible formula: Quadractic function(research) + Linear function(city size)*Linear function(wonder levels). In this formula the effect of research scales roughly with the production speed, and the city size and wonder levels can both increase each chapter and retain the percentage influence they have, giving a reason to move through the chapters as it makes more room for city size and wonder levels. There have also been many other suggestions on the Beta forums including subtracting your chapter from each wonder (minimum of zero) when counting wonder levels.

The Unbeliever

...of course, if Inno *really wanted to better "balance" the disparity between the best vs. worst tournament scores, they could do something really novel, such as, STOP NERFING THE CRAP OUT OF EVENTS!!!

Yes, Brown Bear & Red Chocobo are 'uber powerful. And yes, those who missed out the first time 'round, will naturally be at a disadvantage vs. those who have them. (and especially multiples...)
BUT!
Taking an artillery shell to nuke events into the ground, thereby creating a 'forever gap' between old vs. newer players is the most fething, pants on head stupid thing one could possibly think of...
Inno let the cat out of the bag last year & cranked that dial to 11. You can't ever rebalance that unless you literally remove those offending buildings from the game entirely. (not an option obviously) Instead, just keep cranking that dial to 11 and keep it going!

If EVERYTHING is 'overpowered', then NOTHING really is
(note: this is how FoE is run, and we have 0 issues with new/low age players being able to 'compete' with the biggest kids in the various guild activities - it just takes hard work and effort to build yourself up.;))

Give new players equal, if not slightly better buildings 2-3x a year, between the various what, 6 or 7 main events? As long as there's at least a couple epic, savagely powerful buildings every year, then no one is at such a massive disadvantage... later/end game players will always have an advantage, simply by virtue of being nearly done/done the entire tech tree. (oh, and hopefully the lesson has been learned that infinite quests + infinite rewards was the single stupidest idea Inno ever crapped out.:p)

If newer players have their panties in a twist that, "whaaaaaaaaaa! I can't beat someone who's 14 chapters ahead of MEEEEEEEEEEeeeeee!", then that's on them.
This whole nerfing of events and the clusterfeth of "rebalancing" the tournaments reeks of nothing more than Inno pandering to the perpetual whiners who want to be no.1 just for showing up.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
And yes, those who missed out the first time 'round, will naturally be at a disadvantage vs. those who have them. (and especially multiples...)
They really don't have to. They just have to issue similar, or even more powerful, buildings that don't stack with other buildings. A new type of bear with identical or superior effects, but where you don't get the older bears adding to them would allow everyone to have them without any balance issues. You can get 50% from the brown bear, or you can get 50% from the rainbow bear, but if you have both, you still only get 50%.....

Deleted User - 3932582

For those who haven't heard, new tournament format is coming to live EN servers next week - with no material changes so far. I expect them to roll this out everywhere in a couple of weeks after that...

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
For those who haven't heard, new tournament format is coming to live EN servers next week - with no material changes so far. I expect them to roll this out everywhere in a couple of weeks after that...

The announcement specifically says the EN server will have the new format for at least three weeks before it could go to the rest of the Live servers. So that would make Silk be the soonest we might get it.

Deleted User - 3932582

Sure, it could be 3 weeks. But if they genuinely wanted/expected to make any material changes during that timespan, why would they even specify 3 weeks (and not say "we'll see how it goes")? Not to mention that they've had beta for several weeks now, and literally no material changes have been made there (except maybe orcs/mana catering, but the jury is still out on that). Instead, they dropped in on EN live. This looks rather final, and EN deployment is to make sure that mechanically it all works (as this is probably a bigger change than usual, implementation-wise).

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Sure, it could be 3 weeks. But if they genuinely wanted/expected to make any material changes during that timespan, why would they even specify 3 weeks (and not say "we'll see how it goes")?
Because they didn't specify three weeks, they specified "at least" three weeks after the start of the first new tournament on EN. Which is what we want: clarity that it won't happen for a minimum of four weeks, possibly longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.