• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

News from Beta - May Contain Spoilers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
I don't want to continue derailing this thread any more, but if you wanted to start a 2nd amendment education thread in "the lounge", I would happily read it. I see knowledge and education in general a plus, especially on viewpoints that I don't share. Although assuming that we have opposing viewpoints on the 2nd amendment is probably wrong.

Thank you VERY much for the reminder that there is The Lounge for subjects that are not Elvenar :) That is my whole point! And, I don’t want to debate the 2nd amendment or anything political or religious on a game forum. I am so sick of the constant deluge of self righteous attacks from both sides of almost any subject that I spend a lot of time in my game as a refuge from so much anxt!

Tehya1

I do not come to the forum in a game to be "educated" in political correctness! This has absolutely nothing to do with the game. Grandfathered in probably did not mean what you want to attribute to it in yours or my lifetime.
I didn't start this conversation, but since someone did, I am glad we talked about it briefly, and the convo turned back to the game pretty quickly. Sometimes things come up spontaneously when people communicate. Its human nature and not something to get this upset about.

DeletedUser30612

What! the convo is back to the game, I must be blind because I don’t see any game talk.

@helya is the update tomorrow going to include the changes for chapters 1-5?

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
The tournament unlocks in chapter 4 and spire in chapter 5.
Oh for crying out loud. We asked them to HELP newbies, not penalize them. The tourney and spire are fun ... Inno, do you really want new players to get bored with little to do in the early chapters before they're hooked????? Who comes up with these stupid ideas anyway? Next time, THINK!!!!

Tehya1

Oh for crying out loud. We asked them to HELP newbies, not penalize them. The tourney and spire are fun ... Inno, do you really want new players to get bored with little to do in the early chapters before they're hooked????? Who comes up with these stupid ideas anyway? Next time, THINK!!!!
I agree, though they are supposed to be making it take less time to get through chs 1-5. Still, new players are bound to get frustrated if they have to wait that long to get into the spire and tourney since you have to have relics for ma and production boosts, and stuff from the spire greatly enhances the game and progress. New players will get doubly frustrated during events when they can't fulfill relic, cc, or sf quests.

Darielle

We've been told existing cities will be exempt from the changes.
That term, "grandfathering in", is racially loaded... exempt works.
So now "grandfather" is racial? I could understand ... somewhat ... if they said it was anti-senior. But racial? I'm just stunned.

If I ever have grandkids, I'm going to have them say to me, "Oh, mother of my father, may I have a cookie?"

Edited to add:

I just read the link. I never knew that. I stand corrected.

Another edit:
From Wikipedia:
"There is also a rather different, older type of grandfather clause, perhaps more properly a grandfather principle in which a government blots out transactions of the recent past, usually those of a predecessor government. "

I think I was thinking more of this. But in America, it seems that the later reference is the one that holds, so I won't use it.

Last edited:

Fiona Selah

Hmmm.... Perhaps a link to the lounge regarding educating people on history and racially charged/political issues is an excellent idea when issues first come up. Thanks to @Linnea Shadowwalker for the suggestion. I am interested in knowing these things.

Just a quick post stating your point of view you wish to discuss + link = problem solved regarding derailing a thread. :))

Darielle

There is a time & place for everything. This is a game forum. It is not a political forum to be schooled in political correctness. How about we start educating on the 2nd amendment? There is a whole lot of history there too. Would you be OK with that or only pet subjects? Obviously this is not the time or place to be schooled in anything with political overtones.

After all these years I think it is obvious that I really enjoy this game. There is more than enough of group A trying to shove their opinions down that group B's throats in the real world. This is not supposed to be yet another out of a zillion other places to hash out political correctness or any other politically charged crap.
I do see your point. This is my happy place where I can escape politics, cultural and social issues, etc. I did learn something that I didn't know before, so that may be a good thing in the long run, but I truly wish I could have learned it someplace else, and not in my only escape from the constant
in-your-face divisiveness of real life. Bringing real life into our happy places makes them a little less happy. And heaven knows (may I even say heaven, or is it politically incorrect?) we all need a happy place away from real life, especially in the past decade of insanity.

Gkyr

Chef
Sometimes a culture's expression can be neutral or even positive without carrying the stigma of its unjust origins.
Think of how adored the Volkswagen Beetle had become in our films and in our driveways despite the fact that it was one of Hitler's pet projects and was started with forced labor, and worse, for which the wealthy German families that own this company and several other auto companies with similar unwholesome provenance have still not acknowledged in any real sense, nor apologized for. Yet we either drive or admire BMWs, Audis and Rolls Royces (not founded by but acquired by said families).

May I suggest that we allow our constantly changing language to evolve, as it will. Thank you to @Tehya1 for raising the consciousness of how 'grandfathering' entered our language. We should be aware of our culture's past, the good parts and the bad. There are wrongs to be acknowledged and to be righted. It is one thing to be unaware of the distasteful origins of a word or phrase and it is another to ignore or cover up such beginnings.

The word 'grandfathering' seems to have shed its illegitimate birth and is making its way in the world unaccompanied by its shameful origins. Its etymology has as strong teaching value as @Tehya1 has pointed out to us but to enforce a revision of its commonly accepted current usage may be like butting one's head against the English-speaking world.

I apologize for my role in hijacking this thread. Moderator, moderate as you will.

Tehya1

I am enjoying the event, Naturally Amazing. I find this style of daily prize fun.
I am dreading it because I seem to be the only one to fail miserably in the winter event lol! I need to watch a vid or two.

Is the evolving bldg good?

DeletedUser31604

Good news everyone out of 8 cities with the new update 1.151 zero had the new tech tree currently on beta I can't even get the new tech tree with hours of trying in beta. Someone in my beta fellowship mentioned that they had their non boosted goods researched grouped together. I wanted to see if that I was true with the human tech tree.

The bad, I now have cities that need deleted because they are the same mix of goods. I wish we could delete cities as much as possible as long as nothing beyond the first residence and workshop are built. The rng for cities goods is terrible, 5 cities the same and another 3 cities the same. We should be able to have a variety of goods to choose from if we open all 8 cities. @helya are you around today to help? I really love this name and it takes a week for the name to free up again once I delete the account.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
I am dreading it because I seem to be the only one to fail miserably in the winter event lol! I need to watch a vid or two.
Here is how I play the postal box style event format. Keep in mind that I am mainly concerned with getting as far as possible with regard to grand prizes and don't really care about daily prizes. 1. Take note of how many squares on a board offer extra presents before hitting shuffle. And then as soon as I have found them, I stop playing that board and wait till the next day. Furthermore, if a board has low numbers of extra presents I often skip that day entirely. For example, if there are 2 squares that offer 2 presents I tend to skip. I'm looking for 3 or 4 bonus presents whenever possible. 2. Whenever possible use your reveal 2 feature to ensure you can use your 2x multiplier on a square with bonus presents. There is some luck involved in this. 3. Use the 2x as soon as if fills up. It's wasteful to keep opening boxes while it is filled. 4. I never use reshuffle. This takes event currency which I could be using to open more boxes with.

Tehya1

Here is how I play the postal box style event format. Keep in mind that I am mainly concerned with getting as far as possible with regard to grand prizes and don't really care about daily prizes. 1. Take note of how many squares on a board offer extra presents before hitting shuffle. And then as soon as I have found them, I stop playing that board and wait till the next day. Furthermore, if a board has low numbers of extra presents I often skip that day entirely. For example, if there are 2 squares that offer 2 presents I tend to skip. I'm looking for 3 or 4 bonus presents whenever possible. 2. Whenever possible use your reveal 2 feature to ensure you can use your 2x multiplier on a square with bonus presents. There is some luck involved in this. 3. Use the 2x as soon as if fills up. It's wasteful to keep opening boxes while it is filled. 4. I never use reshuffle. This takes event currency which I could be using to open more boxes with.
I will tuck this advice away, and prrrrrobably bug yuo in fs chat lol . :)

Status
Not open for further replies.