• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

News from Beta - May Contain Spoilers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
We are doing version G on Beta. Brew badges are back to 50. We have tried asking for details, but staff are closed mouth.

Perhaps because they are taking some flak for testing in game ads. Yes, you read that right, a movie reel appears along with a city litter notice. Click on it, and your adblocker pops up and advises you to Run!! Run quickly, run NOW! The Forum thread on this, is acting bizarrely, and some see it, some don't, leading us to speculate as to why a Forum thread about Ads, only works when an ad blocker has been disabled. Luckily I read the Forums on my phone, only use PC when building event links.

But the ads persist in annoying short cut ways, some have seen them replacing Vitality Surges in situ, or on the tech tree.

We've suggested that there be an option to disable, or to cluster them with Diamond purchases, but here again, staff are silent. And this is where I started with this topic...

Pheryll

Set Designer
I don't mind ads as long as they are optional. You want an extra something/something watch, else ignore.
I usually watch the ads when they are optional, and quit playing when they are not.
One thing mentioned in Beta, is that the ads apparently do too much. By going through ads, you can "actively play" this idle game making up for whatever deficiencies your city has.

Yogi Dave

This discussion will go on a long while as there are lots of pros can cons to it. However, the one thing that must not be overlooked is some people are finding they have to disable adblocking in their computer. The game should not -- must not -- require that. Adblockers not only make your experience on the computer less frustrating, but they are also part of a security feature to prevent malicious ads from access to your computer. It doesn't matter if Inno's ads don't and never will be a danger to your system. It's being forced to disable the adblocker for access to some feature of the game is horrific. You could disable the adblocker while playing, then enable it again. However, not only would you have to remember to do that every time, but it would mean not opening other websites while you are playing. Just plain unacceptable.

And yes, there is a debate as to whether adblockers should even exist, but that isn't germane to this discussion, so please don't go in that direction.

Theodora

One thing mentioned in Beta, is that the ads apparently do too much. By going through ads, you can "actively play" this idle game making up for whatever deficiencies your city has.
I was wondering where you got the ads do too much from and someone on the beta forum post implied that the ads are unlimited. No game does unlimited ads and the only thing that might sound to good to be true might be the 12 hour production boost.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
It still in early testing, not even all of beta has it yet. So expect changes are very likely still. Generally the boosts are small, so unlimited isn't a game changer anyway. 1kp per add or couple 100 goods for ch 20 players, if someone wants to watch a 1000 adds then good for them.

A number of the adds are in a new tab on builder hut, so pretty tucked out of the way where no one will look unless they want the specific boost.

Edit: I read on beta there are limits per day.

Last edited:

Pheryll

Set Designer
I was wondering where you got the ads do too much from and someone on the beta forum post implied that the ads are unlimited. No game does unlimited ads and the only thing that might sound to good to be true might be the 12 hour production boost.
I was referring to @la lune's post on Beta that has 9 likes at this point.

Moho

Chef
Yeah, I think I won't be panicking just yet.

i04.jpg

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
I have a Beta city and mine is part of the ad-testing group. They are not unlimited at all. I have ad-block on my browser, so I have to load the app to mess with the ads. I am not sure how often that film reel ad shows up, how long after you play it before it reappears. I feel like it should be once a day because it gives the same range of rewards as the daily log-in chest that the app has, but it might be twice a day for testing? And maybe the same with the others, one batch per day, but maybe more often right now for the test cities. I was still playing their game Rise of Cultures when ads were introduced to it and it was similar there. They have their uses, but can be easily ignored.

Huor

they've been doing the optional ads for prizes in the roc app (not available in the browser) for some time now. many people like it. I have to admit I used to use one ad called the "troop heal ad" until they removed it because too many people liked it. lol. it's from that ad I found a new favoriate game I play these days (from another company). I told inno in feedback when they started doing this that giving the option of showing ads for other games may not be the best idea. lol.

I do want to warn the parents though if you let your children play this game on the app, the ads shown may NOT fall under the games rating of "E" for everyone. I expressed this when they first started doing this that any game that displays ads should not keep their "E" rating (if they have one). Some people complained about some of the ads shown. Inno's response is always "we don't select the ads. we show what we were given at the time", which is correct and why I say when this starts, this is no longer an "E" for everyone game.

A review I left from one of the ads. "I'm still surprised that this game, or any other game for that matter can keep an E for everyone rating when running ads. The last ad that popped up for me (can't remember the game right off hand. one of the many build a kingdom games) opened with a full screen of boobies and threw in some gratuitous full screen jiggle butt. Maybe that's why I can't remember the name of the game. lol."

Last edited by a moderator:

mikeledo

Can't they do product placement for ads instead of pop-ups? Instead of having cocoa in Juul's kitchen, make it by adding two cans of Pepsi. They can make "ads" part of the game without being intrusive with a pop-up ad. They can put all kinds of wording in side quests. Simple tools could be DeWalt and advanced tools, Stanley tools etc.

Huor

they still haven't figured out how to do that with tv shows. I have seen it with weather though. the tornado warning in your area brought to you by "insert some local company here"

Sprite1313

Can't they do product placement for ads instead of pop-ups? Instead of having cocoa in Juul's kitchen, make it by adding two cans of Pepsi. They can make "ads" part of the game without being intrusive with a pop-up ad. They can put all kinds of wording in side quests. Simple tools could be DeWalt and advanced tools, Stanley tools etc.
Oh, I can see the heated debates now... "how could you rate Stanley above Dewalt, and where is the love for Craftsman?"
1684679121521.png

Yogi Dave

Too funny. Remember SNL had the repeating skit with "No Coke, Pepsi", but changed to "No Pepsi, Coke" when Coke became a sponsor?
they still haven't figured out how to do that with tv shows.
The TV show "Eureka" had ads for Degree for Men. In fact, one episode needed it to save people in the town from a mini-supernova.
Setting the way back machine to "the golden age of TV" live shows had commercials performed by the actors, "The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show" had people regularly drinking Carnation Milk and commenting about how good it was. There was also an episode on either that or "Pete and Gladys" which had the actors doing an ad for Camel or Luck Strike cigarettes right slap dab in the middle of it. They didn't need to break for a commercial So, they knew how to do it in the then and I don't think that's a forgotten tech, like flying to the moon or building pyramids seems to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.