• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

NH Streak Display

able99

When you click on your FS Banner to give NH, you currently see a list of the members in your FS.
You also see either gold helping hands or a green house, depending on whether the members did, or did not do their NH in past 23 hour.

I propose the the display be enhanced to also show a number after the hands or house that represent the number of consecutive days that member, either did or didn't do NH. The highest number need only be 99+. There is plenty of room to shorten the title display to accommodate the number.
The same display should be used in the notification display.

There are several advantages and benefits in displaying the streak number.
1. It can be a tool for INNO is use to determine if a player is active. I understand a player can be active and not do NH, but it is only a tool.
2. It encourages members to do their NH in their fellowship and to return NH from members in our neighborhood.
3. For fellowships that require NH, it gives a tool to AM to know who they should remind to do their NH, or boot if necessary.

This is not meant to embarrass anyone but just a tool in my continuing effort to provide additional information reminders to FS and members.

Last edited:

OIM20

This is not meant to embarrass anyone but just a tool in my continuing effort to provide additional information reminders to FS and members.
Can I just say how sad I find it that you have to put a caveat in there?

I already see the con arguments, and I'm sure you do too.

So I will say that I think it is another good way to determine activity beyond score change. I think that it could change how ElvenStats views activity in placing that black triangle on profiles/fellowships. The other day someone posted up a thread recruiting for their FS, and there are only two members. The AM, if you look at ES, appears to be inactive because of a lack of score change. But if you check the breakdown on the tournaments over the past month, the AM did participate in one alongside the new member.

I have a question though, about
a number after the hands or house that represent the number of consecutive days that member, either did or didn't do NH.
Is that only within the gold hands time allotment, or is that at all? Because sometimes I won't be able to do my NH at the same time and have to reset my time for whatever reason. Say I got stuck in traffic (as I don't truly have this on mobile, I just use an emulator on my PC), so I'm not near my laptop at my usual time. Or I had a doctor's appointment, etc. etc. Is your counter going to reset me to -0- even though I do give NH later that day because it wasn't within the time allotted to get the supplies bonus? It would be over 24 hours, so I'm just trying to clarify.

able99

Can I just say how sad I find it that you have to put a caveat in there?
OIM20, We agree, and you are absolutely correct, I put the caveat in because of the experience with my suggestion on Tournament Point Display.

Here again, I see the number as an information tool to help fs manage activity. I see it as a positive in that if I forget to do NH for a few day, it will remind me to do visits. If I had a positive streak, I'd try to keep it going. It is up to each fs to decide what to do with the number.
The number itself is not either good or bad. Most fs will simply look at the number, and ignore it. Some may see the positive streak and offer congrats to the member. Other may use it Remind players of fs rules for visits, or boot them.
It would be blank for a streak of 1 as the switch from gold hands or the house would indicate that. The number will only appear at 2 and greater.
The number itself is not evil, it is just information.
You speak of the triangle in ES, beside the fact that it is not Elvenar, if you hover over the triangle is says Player appears to be in active, Score hasn't change since "some date". You can get a pretty good idea on the number of days not played streak, by simply doing the math.

I expect you to respond to this, and disagree with me which is fine, you may have the last word. After that I will not engage with a back and forth argument. I do appreciate your input, but we simply disagree on this point.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Is your counter going to reset me to -0- even though I do give NH later that day because it wasn't within the time allotted to get the supplies bonus? It would be over 24 hours, so I'm just trying to clarify.
Could it be based on acalendar days? So that anytime between midnight and midnight counts to keep your streak going?

OIM20

I expect you to respond to this, and disagree with me which is fine, you may have the last word.
People asking questions are not automatic disagreements. It was a question. I tend to ask them. Like I said,
I'm just trying to clarify.
What movie was it where the character-author was asked to define what a symbol in his book meant and he said, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."? Not everyone is being combative because they ask you something. Please don't let one negatively charged thread define every interaction going forward.

Also, questions are how discussion happens.

(And one of the reasons I ask them, as I've said numerous times, is that my English isn't always the best. It really isn't. Sometimes I think I do really well. Sometimes I think I'm really not comprehending. And I've found that the inverse has been true in both instances upon occasion.)
____________________________________________________​
Could it be based on acalendar days? So that anytime between midnight and midnight counts to keep your streak going?
Admittedly, I would like that better, but the reason Inno put it at 23 hours, as I understand it from reading around the forum, is for people to be able to do it at exactly the same time every day rather than the - as I saw one thread state - "forward crawl" that happens if it's at exactly 24 hours like the pick ups from Carting Libraries.

able99

The NH Streak Number I proposed is simply meant as a management tool to help fs recognize who is diligent in doing NH and who may be slacking.

Many fs ask for NH only 4 days per week, and everyone understand real life happens. My proposal is not meant to be a gotcha to catch everyone missing some days, and its expected some may miss more days due to real life issues.

As I envisioned it, when the number appear next to the golden hands, it represents consecutive days of NH. When next to the house it represents consecutive days NH is missed. I thought that would be easiest to understand.

However, I would be fine altering the proposal so that the proposed Streak Number only appear when greater than 4 or even 7. It should then not flag the diligent players that visit 4 times per week., or even the week vacation. It can stay blank for the 4-7 days, then appear if the streak is longer so the fs can judge if there is a problem.

(And one of the reasons I ask them, as I've said numerous times, is that my English isn't always the best. It really isn't. Sometimes I think I do really well. Sometimes I think I'm really not comprehending. And I've found that the inverse has been true in both instances upon occasion.)

OIM20, I was not aware that English is not your primary language, and you do communicate well in it.

able99

Instead of these drib and drab suggestions why dont you just suggest an AM Dashboard that provides all such info on every player in the FS?

I fear suggesting a Dashboard with all types of management reports would be overreach. It would require a major proposal outlining every report, how they will be accessed, and what each report would look like. We cannot get universal acceptance with one simple report, can you imagine how a complete reporting system would be picked apart.

Even if a Dashboard were agreed upon in the Elvenar Community, I can see INNO rejecting the idea as too much work.

Of the 3 information reports I suggested, the Tournament Score Display and this NH Streak Display utilizes most of the reporting already in place.
The Report for Missing Contributors in FA will have to be written as a new report but I did not specify its format.

By the way, in the Tournament Score Report, I would ammend the suggestion to show a blank score instead of zero if given the chance, but all names have to be listed to have any value. I wish I thought of that in the beginning, it might have save a lot of grief and hard feelings.

Kekune

I don't think seeing a streak is terribly helpful information. It would identify the folks who do it consistently, but doesn't do the reverse. A lack of a current streak just means the player didn't give help in the last 24 hours. That could be a fluke, or it could be a pattern. You'd still have to rely on memory or manual tracking to see who isn't active over the longer term.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
I don't think seeing a streak is terribly helpful information. It would identify the folks who do it consistently, but doesn't do the reverse. A lack of a current streak just means the player didn't give help in the last 24 hours. That could be a fluke, or it could be a pattern. You'd still have to rely on memory or manual tracking to see who isn't active over the longer term.

It reminds me of my duolingo streak ... 68 days, then I get a power outage during a winter storm; I'm back down to zero. Then 126 days in a row, and zip, another storm. That could make for a heck of a lot of frustration and it wouldn't be fair, if I've given NH 190 times out of the past 195 days but my "score" is at 1. How useful is that "1" to other players, and how irritating is it to me? What benefit would my added frustration and embarrassment be to anyone else?

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Perhaps another way to accomplish the same thing is to simply track the percentage of visits done in the last X number of days. 30 days seems good to me. You can either present the information as a percent of 7 (so if the person visits 50% of the time the number would be 3.5) or an actual percentage: 50%, 67.5% or whatever. Or, since most fellowships ask for a minimum of 3.5 visits per week you could even color code a dot or circle around their visitation icon, and not even display a number. Perhaps less than 2 visits per week is red, 2-3.4 is yellow, 3.5 to 5 is green and +5 is bright, flashing, green with a smiley face and a free coupon for a chocolate chip cookie from Starbucks! :p

In any case, using the percentage makes the streak less important than the consistent level of play over time. I think that's the goal here. To see who is making the required minimum.

AJ

able99

Wow, Darielle, I certainly understand your frustration in losing a streak due to a storm.
ajqtrz, Although not as dramatic as a streak, you suggestion of a 30 day rolling average accomplishes the same thing.
Your points are well taken.

I still like the idea of the streak as a visual, but concede this idea is probably dead.

DeletedUser29768

I still like the idea of the streak as a visual, but concede this idea is probably dead.
Hey, don't get discouraged. You have a lot of good ideas; they may not all work for this game, but like Thomas Edison, the more ideas we can reject, the better we can focus on the ones that will. Keep them coming. :)

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
a 30 day rolling average accomplishes the same thing.
That sounds great. I agree with @Darielle that a streak can easily be broken and won't necessarily be representative.
Either a rolling average or a running total for each month (week?)

Another issue not addressed yet: What about partial visits? I know for events sometimes I've held off in anticipation of "give 7 visits" quests and missed doing some of my fellows- How would that work in any of the above systems?