• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

No Residence Life - What Does It Look Like

DeletedUser9601

My current city:
https://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/8b6eeae8ea81427596275dc32a7e8888/

281K (with 11K excess) population, and I'm consistently hitting 4K per week in tourneys. Right now I'm focused on tourney success and KP, as being at end-game. I've got 189 empty tiles/7 expansions when so desired (currently filled with level 1s for event quests).

First, deleted all residences and re-organized buildings. I didn't spend much time "min-maxing" the buildings, but tried to be reasonable keeping things on the long side as much as possible. As you can see, a LOT of extra space.

https://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/54ac3f0c2efb463fb3695f6701a6ac83/

Let's say we replace all residences with "solid" or better pop/culture buildings. That means buildings like Orc Float, Elven Float, Venars 3, etc. These are buildings that are "more pop than culture," so to speak, and we're not wasting space on pop/culture buildings that spend too much. Mothers Dragon is pretty and all that, but no one is choosing it for its population.

If I replaced all residences with moderately efficient pop, like Orc Float:

https://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/3e21a15c03614e9f9fcec94d446ec9db/

Not a perfect layout (being lazy with my structure layout) and slightly less excess pop (5K vs 11K). But I jump to 333 empty tiles/13 expansions.

Let's pretend I replace the residences with Venars 3, which I think is the hands-down best combo of high pop-per-sq, and a large footprint (20 squares).

https://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/45098383788f48419d50b43dccb74606/

Better effort in a layout (thanks to a timeout during Raptors-Warriors). More excess pop (6K). A whopping 433 empty tiles/17 expansions.

Considerations / Pros and Cons
-Consideration/Con - This is really a discussion for people in end-game (meaning in the last chapter, or near to it). Amuni were mid-August; Constructs were mid-Feb. Still no announcement for Ch 15. But given the new development of the Spire, I doubt Ch 15 shows up before August. So this assumes a world where you're only looking to get through a chapter every 6 months. In earlier chapters, you'd need to do significantly more math to see if this makes sense. Pop/sq, gold needs, expansion space, etc. are all too varied.
-Pro - Residence upgrades aren't free. 2 Construct residence upgrades are 40 builder hours, 2.3M gold, 120K supplies, and say 30K tier goods. Not huge numbers over 6 months, but definitely something that offsets the lost gold discussed below.
-Con - You're trading off either RRs or event currency. Right now, assuming I never spent an RR to upgrade military buildings (VVs, etc.) or basic culture buildings, I'd need about 900 RRs. Assuming 15RRs (1 BP and 5 RRs) each week, over 6 months I can expect 360 RRs to upgrade each chapter. So then I'm looking at 540 "squares" of pop/culture to upgrade. Best case scenario is a 20 square building (like Venars or Phoenix Cult), so I'd need 27 event buildings. With "mediocre" buildings taking up 15 or 16 squares, it might be 36 buildings. Assuming 2 events per chapter AND the random FSA/mini-event buildings, its not a HUGE requirement. But it does limit one's ability to focus on a "Trading Outpost farm" or a "Wishing Well farm." You really need to commit a lot of your event resources to keeping up your pop/culture buildings.
-Pro - More culture. A level 33 residence costs 1,600 culture. We all know that this actually reduces the population per square, but you're basically getting a net culture boost by a LOT. Swapping a level 33 residence for an Orc Float is net -200 population, but net + 6,500 culture. I'm at 150% culture with 221K required culture. 40K gets me to 160%, so even replacing 10 or so residences gets me 10% more gold and supplies. The obvious downside here is that if you replace ALL residences, then that gold boost goes for naught. But from a supplies standpoint, I could probably easily hit 170% bonus, and thus be able to delete a workshop.
-Con - Gold. A level 33 residence can produce around 250K gold per day, give or take culture boosts. I have 36 residences, so that's 9M of gold each day to produce. Its possible to produce this gold easily with daily visits, but that does mean you have to actually do the visits.
-Pro - Ease of layout. No roads is great. You're also likely to be stacking lots of the same building size. Nothing makes me happier than just a 12-expansion line of the same building in a row. No wasted space, no second thought given to how your buildings look.

I think the ultimate question is "do you need the extra space"? Obvious answer is yes dummy!
An extra 4-5 expansions can mean an extra armory and T3, or an extra few AWs. It can also be dead space that you save for events and FSAs, which is also great.
The downside is the risk. You are relying on good pop-per-sq event buildings compared to the max level residence. I think this is a relatively safe assumption: Inno wants event buildings to be desirable. But it is also a reliance/requirement that you clear each event.

Conclusion is that I'm going to prioritize this event for Venars 3, and if I get a good haul AND there's no new chapter announcement, I might push to delete a good bulk of my residences.

Deleted User - 3932582

Not at the end game yet, so take it with a grain of salt.

I think risks of going zero residences are greatly overstated. I can understand someone contemplating going from all events back to pure res - that's a decision you can't easily undo, as you can't easily get the same or better event buildings, certainly in volume. But going from event buildings to regular residences? You can do it at any time. All you need to is some time (OK, quite a bit of time). But at the end game with 6+ months in-between chapters guest what you have in spades? Time. So I wouldn't be overly concerned - this decision is totally reversible.

And just because next chapter comes in doesn't mean that your setup is suddenly worse without hundreds of RRs for upgrades. Best hybrids like VR3 are usually at least comparable with a regular res for 2-3 chapters after. With the current pace you could be in a better setup for a couple of years even without upgrading anything with RRs (and within that timeframe it is quite possible that you can get newer hybrids from the events without paying for upgrades).

DeletedUser9601

Good point Soggy. Add another "con" that you won't finish the chapter quests. But as someone who leans heavily on Portal Profits to breeze through each chapter, I'm not finishing quests either way.

But you're right that some people do want to complete these quests.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
I personally would never go zero residences because I am in the group that believes in completing all chapter quests as they come up. But with the final couple of chapters reducing the leveling needs to just 10 residences, I am seriously considering cutting down to 9 plus my one magic residence for whenever we get chapter 15. Then I may take some of that extra space and intentionally rebuild a couple of residences up to around level 10-12 and save them for the next event that requires leveling buildings, as residences and armories are the cheapest and quickest for that, then sell them off again and repeat for the next event.

Of course, if I have terrible luck getting the high pop buildings in this event, I will not be able to do this yet.

DeletedUser

Because there's a gland in my head that makes me do these things:

Created yesterday with about 15 hours left in the event.

2019-06-11.jpg

:p

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
If you are willing to spend diamonds go for Research culture/pop building. It is 11,500 pop & 12,400 culture. I have 3 of those. I can't remember for sure whether I spent bought diamonds on the first one but I know the 2nd & 3rd were from wishing well and maybe other won diamonds :cool:

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
https://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/a34f2f1b14ce4ef2b0dffdf8de00457a/

The above represents the rearrangement of your second attempt before replacing rr with other buildings. Your arrangement left many buildings unconnected to streets that required streets. This one has everything connected properly AND 708 empty squares -- 28+ expansions, all contiguous.

https://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/f0c63ccc798b4039b1bec06e1cdc78ee/

This represents your non-rr building arrangement, again, arranged so the streets are connected properly. There are only about 7 expansions in this one. So, as far as space goes, stick with what you have.

Over all though, the question of no-rr buildings (or just one or two) is a good one to raise.

AJ

DeletedUser23031

Residence Free since the Carnival event.
Just as Tedious mentioned Orc Float-->Phoenix Cult-->VR3. I haven't spent any RR on the culture since the events give me new buildings to use. I have had 2 gold issues- Both after a series of large payments for expansions and research- but I have so many gold instants it's ridiculous. I'm just about to begin Amuni.

I ignore the quest line and am fortunate that I can run through them at the end of a chapter.

Here's the con, oddly- Culture is a waste of time in this model. I have it in spades but don't have residences that can benefit. and I only have 3 under-leveled workshops.

Here's a question. for the Amuni some settlement buildings must be next to residences. Do the residences need to be connected to streets to keep the gold mines active?
before I switched to the no-residence model I did residences with out street connections for 3 months just to test my reliance on gold collection.

DeletedUser17455

This is good to know. I won ten VR3s, placed half of them, and removed about half of my residences. So far so good! I might drop down a few residences as I am still finding that I hit max gold way too often.

Donnyd

Residence Free since the Carnival event.
Just as Tedious mentioned Orc Float-->Phoenix Cult-->VR3. I haven't spent any RR on the culture since the events give me new buildings to use. I have had 2 gold issues- Both after a series of large payments for expansions and research- but I have so many gold instants it's ridiculous. I'm just about to begin Amuni.

I ignore the quest line and am fortunate that I can run through them at the end of a chapter.

Here's the con, oddly- Culture is a waste of time in this model. I have it in spades but don't have residences that can benefit. and I only have 3 under-leveled workshops.

Here's a question. for the Amuni some settlement buildings must be next to residences. Do the residences need to be connected to streets to keep the gold mines active?
before I switched to the no-residence model I did residences with out street connections for 3 months just to test my reliance on gold collection.
Yes the goldsmith needs to be attached to the residence and the residence connected to a road connected to the main hall so that the goldsmith will work. Same goes for the trap makers being connected to the workshops

Alistaire

How've you been doing on mermaids paradise for this event? Adding t1 production to the list of things you can have while adding pop instead of taking away like normal factories should help you in this.

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
Yes the goldsmith needs to be attached to the residence and the residence connected to a road connected to the main hall so that the goldsmith will work. Same goes for the trap makers being connected to the workshops
Someone forgot to tell my goldsmiths about that then, they seem quite happy parked next to a level 2 house in the middle of nowhere.