• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Non removable structures have no warning/indication??

• Thread starter DeletedUser8850
  • Start date

DeletedUser8850

Hi Guys,

So I'm new to the game, and recently got the quest build-out about the Magic Acadamy. After having it up for a while, I thought, well this is a "full tile", I'll replace it with housing until it becomes more of a requirement for me to have any spells only to find out that it can't be removed; Just checked and the barracks is the same (playing non-military).

If you are going to make certain building permanent, especially in a game that is extremely space limiting, at least provide some level of warning that once "X" building is placed it cannot be removed from your map.

DeletedUser8850

I just went through the game interface to have a look if there was some warning, it does look like you guys have the statement :
"Can only be build once" in the build menu.

I took this to mean that the building had a maximum of one building on the map, not that it could never be removed (though, you can only have one on map, so maybe that is the intention of this message). It should also state:
"Unsellable Structure" or similar.

DeletedUser8850

@Calenmir, A user shouldn't have to look in a wiki for base game mechanics. Especially when the game is telling you to do these things (via quests), with no warning that they can't be undone.

Calenmir

The quests can wait until you review what is required of any building (via the Wiki) or even to come here and ask. But Wiki is best in this instance because it tells you something you wouldn't necessarily know to ask.

DeletedUser8850

@Calenmir, There should be no expectation that a new player is going to look at a wiki or go to a forum to ask questions before completing basic questing or building a structure to see if it has unstated consequences.

Calenmir

I do understand what you are saying, but I don't agree that you should be spoon fed information. Some of playing this game is on the gamer and the information is available if you want to use it.

ETA: I will say I disagree that it should be a non-declinable quest. Choosing to put up a building is a personal choice. If you choose not to build it, you stop any progress on the storyline - that is what is wrong to me.

DeletedUser6857

One thing to note, if it is any consolation, there are main quest line tasks that require these buildings that you cannot skip.

Although you could just hold off so to speak, letting the main quest line languish can make it hard to catch up. Later in the game there comes a point that if you are too far behind you will get stuck and may not be able to catch up.

You will also need those buildings if you want to participate in the event quests. And you do want to participate. Some of the best buildings in the game come out of the events.

Calenmir

Agree (see my edited post). It makes no sense to require building any building.

Though most of the Events give an option, so having the building isn't required. It's just much harder to get one doing NH. lol

DeletedUser6857

The events I have participated in thus far have not had any options for the build troops tasks. And relying on NH to acquire the spells for those quests is a BIG gamble. If you aren't lucky you may lose enough time waiting on those spells to not finish the quests and miss out a some very cool stuff.

I know the size of these buildings is a pain point in the early parts of the game but in the end the juggling and balancing is part of the game itself.

Calenmir

Well, I do agree. My beta city started more than mid-way through the valentine event. It took me DAYS (literally - I'm talking like 6 day) to get a PoP spell (when you don't want or need them, they are readily available, but when you do... oh HECK no). So it's not really a good gamble (as you say). And I didn't finish the event because of it. No biggy though as at that point I knew there would be more events with better prizes.

They are a pain on size, but I've found them QUITE useful in making the goods spell (which I can NEVER get doing NH). And yes, it is part of the puzzle. It slows you down and that sucks, but you suffer through it and ultimately it makes you realize how much you need to plan. So again - Wiki (and for space planning use the architect).

DeletedUser8850

@Wood Wanderer, I totally agree that "juggling and balancing" is one of the core mechanics that makes the game fun, but that's in some sense (at least in my opinion), missing here. The fact that you are told to build it, without the information that it's an irreversible change to your map. If one knew ahead of time (as experienced players would), I'm sure it's common enough that they would hold off for a day or two (a week ?) before committing a full tile to it and just farm resources.

SimplyNoble

@Calenmir, There should be no expectation that a new player is going to look at a wiki or go to a forum to ask questions before completing basic questing or building a structure to see if it has unstated consequences.

Why not? I always found that it was a good plan to read the rulebook when starting a new board game. I have also found it useful to read the instructions before starting an unfamiliar project. Why would you not expect to do some reading for your own education to understand how this game works? The Forums and the Wiki are provided to educate players on how the game works.

If you chose not to read the instructions don't blame the game for your lack of knowledge.

DeletedUser8850

You are presented with a rule book with the board game and the base expectation is that you would peruse it prior to first playing. The same isn't true of Elvenar, quests are there to welcome you into the game and familiarize you with new structures; It's a very common base mechanic in this style of game. As such, it's the game that should be passing on said information.