• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Number of factories

Deleted User - 312108

Hi @Matrickz How many factories you have of each tier is dependent on your race and play style. I tend to have more since I do a lot of catering. Also keep in mind your balance of goods - if you are producing a lot of T3 and crosstrading because of that, you may want to reduce the number of T3 factories and add in more T1 or T2.
Elvengems does a nice job of offering the weights.
https://elvengems.com/boosted-goods/
https://elvengems.com/city-balance-buildings/
On the building section - scroll down to manufactories.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
The way I learned to look at factories was in terms of # of squares. A general 'rule of thumb' I read early on said on average 40 squares per tier was recommended. Whether this figure still holds true, I don't know. As the bldgs grow, they become more efficient in amount of goods produced per square. So, as you upgrade, the number of factories necessary to achieve the 40 squares will fluctuate.
That said, my personal play style *cough*hoarder*cough* means I exceed the recommended number of squares; sometimes significantly. My largest city just finished Amuni and as I've come through the chapters, my needs for specific tier goods have changed several times. There was a time where I couldn't keep enough T2 on hand; now T2's are doing well and I'm faced with a glut of T3 and struggle with T1. Part of the reason for that struggle is trying to overproduce to supply smaller cities with unfair trades for goods to complete tourney provinces. While cheaper than for me to get the same points, the most productive trades for that are unfair T3:T1 in favor of the smaller cities, requiring more T1 production than should normally be the case.
Things like how often you collect productions figures into this as well. The player who logs on once/day and does 24hr productions will not collect as many resources from the bldg as a player who runs several 3hr productions and a 9hr overnight production most days.
@Lyleth 's links will go into more details that should help you decide how to develop factories in a way that works for you.

DeletedUser20951

I'm a moderate hoarder of goods, in that I always want more and make sure I am at least increasing my stockpile some weekly, no matter my level of participation in tournaments, upgrading, and whatnot. In regards to how many factories, I also play it quite loose and by eye as to how my accumulation of each tier is, then gradually upgrade and/or build additional of whichever tier is falling behind, provided my supplies aren't in the red or I focus on correcting that first. As I don't post cross-tier and keep my goods balanced, it is fairly easy to track, and I don't believe there is any optimal number, just a personal preference on the amount of space you're willing to devote to the goods production that is suitable for your playing style.

T6583

It really depends on your play style and maybe even a bit on where you're at in the game. I personally found that I needed more manufactories when I was a smaller city than I do as a larger city. I also fight for tourney and provience expansions so I don't need as many goods. I'm doing extremey well with 3 T1, 3 T2, and 2 T3 factories. Some of the larger cities you see might cater more than they fight so they would need more goods and therefore more manufactories.

Matrickz

My problem isn't a lack of factory supply. It is a lack of workshop supply so I need more workshops thus space thus possibly removing factorie . Now I am near the end of dragons so I will have a lot of spac . Halfling doesn't take up all of what I will free up so I can add shops and AW there and maybe a couple houses

T6583

My problem isn't a lack of factory supply. It is a lack of workshop supply so I need more workshops thus space thus possibly removing factorie
Are you using PP spells to help with workshop supplies production? Do you have AW's that help with supplies at all? Do you strategically use Supply Windfalls? This could make a difference as well in if you need to add another workshop.

Deleted User - 312108

My problem isn't a lack of factory supply. It is a lack of workshop supply so I need more workshops thus space thus possibly removing factorie . Now I am near the end of dragons so I will have a lot of spac . Halfling doesn't take up all of what I will free up so I can add shops and AW there and maybe a couple houses
@Matrickz for supplies - try to make sure you have 150% culture

DeletedUser16929

I have 4 of each tier. Some in fs said that is too many but I see that many or more on many high level players. Wondered whether to keep or ad . Always out of supplies so the space to build an 8th shop would be nice
i have 7 factoies maxed out and often run out of supplies
i also have a lot of culture (130 with no neighbourly help), as the more culture the better the supply yeild
i sometimes us PoP enchantments when i can dedicate the time to it, which is not often
that's when i us the windfall instants, they come in handy.... left or right!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

DeletedUser20951

Prosperity Towers and Endless Excavation can replace a workshop each.
The Excavation has been a Godsend for supplies, surpassing several workshops once I bumped it up to a decent level, and I've finally unlocked and constructed the Towers, which starts out producing more than two maxed Fairy chapter shops at the first level. Cannot recommend these Wonders enough for those in a tight spot on keeping their factories and barracks running twenty-four seven. After getting kicked in the teeth by the high supply demands of the Dwarven age when it was added and being forced to scramble (before windfalls or Power of Provisions existed) to make ends meet in this arena, I've remained overly cautious when it comes to supplies and have more workshops that I actually need right now, but it'll even out as I build more factories and accrue greater training costs, so I don't mind.

DeletedUser20951

which starts out producing more than two maxed Fairy chapter shops at the first level
Actually, it's a little under what two of 'em produce (I was apparently looking at the output of my Dwarven style shops because I AM THE SHARPEST CRAYON IN ALL THE LANDS), but still more efficient for the size, and I should probably mention that I operate with no culture bonus whatsoever, which is relevant.

T6583

The Excavation has been a Godsend for supplies, surpassing several workshops once I bumped it up to a decent level, and I've finally unlocked and constructed the Towers, which starts out producing more than two maxed Fairy chapter shops at the first level. Cannot recommend these Wonders enough for those in a tight spot on keeping their factories and barracks running twenty-four seven.
100% in agreement with you. I'm in Chapter 14 and those AW's have allowed me to reduce the number for workshops I need.

DeletedUser20951

those AW's have allowed me to reduce the number for workshops I need
I've always built what many consider to be an overabundance of workshops, but I hate having to jump through hoops for supplies and instead go the direct route, mainly, and the less clicking necessary is welcome with those two. Have seen much support for the Tome, but I don't like relying on scouting or anything with strings attached, nor being encouraged to scout constantly, and it wouldn't be very helpful at the stage of the OP. Other than that, I do have the Stonehenge constructed, which gives some supplies, and there are likely more beneficial event prizes in that regard? I know a lot of previous discussion on this topic has been focused on alternate production to the manufactories to reduce supply cost, but I'm coming up short on what else is a good replacement for shops.