• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Of what use are Sword Dancers?

• Thread starter DeletedUser7686
  • Start date

DeletedUser7686

I have not found any fight where I'd rather have a Sword Dancer than a Cerberus. Am I missing something? Neither the difference in Initiative (so I can better control over the activation order), nor faster replacement, are worth giving up the Cerberus movement.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
I agree, I don't think I've even trained a sword dancer since I got the Cerberus. Mine are level 2, and maybe when I get the promotion to 3 (Sword Acrobat) and they have the 'decrease attack by 30%' special ability I may try them again. But for now, I see them as cannon fodder and not very long lived cannon fodder at that! The level 3 Cerberus special ability is 'decrease defense by 20%' and I believe it comes well after the sword dancer 3, so they may fill a need in the future. If so, I'll probably be unhappy I stopped training them, lol

DeletedUser10587

I'm pretty new to the game. I just got to Level II today. Sword Dancers are one of only two units I can train right now. I'd be nowhere without them.
So maybe once you are higher level they are not needed, but they are an absolute must have in Level I.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
@ Ben Ghazi: Absolutely. You don't even get the Training Grounds and Cerberus until in the 2nd Chapter. And the battle system is hardest for players in the first 3 chapters anyway and you don't even have all the unit types until the beginning of Chapter 3. Once you get the Cerberus (a Light Melee unit like the Sword Dancer), their range is far superior to the Sword Dancer and their attack and defense are at least as good if not better. The Sword Dancer is absolutely necessary in the early part of the game.

Laochra

Since I received the Sword Dancer promotion, they have been vital for my army's survival. Most of the time my Cerberuses just end up being the decoys, because they don't always survive (I only do the auto-fight option, though). My level 2 Archers are still only good as decoys as well. The Cerberus last longer than the archers, though. I usually just fight with Treants, Golems & Sword dancers. And in the cities that I have them(event rewards), I like using my Orcs & Mercenaries.

DeletedUser10842

Ok, I'm very new. I didn't get into the guides until after I had practically built my village. I didn't know I had Quests to guide me in what to do first, second and so on. I began fighting in the provinces soon after I scouted them including my first one. I used the manual mode rather than trust a computer to play it. I should have negotiated most of them at first but I thought I should fight in order to save supplies. I began fighting and losing a lot of armies. I didn't understand that the 39 armies they had would clobber my 6 armies. I started developing a strategy where I would use one or two archers (this is beginning level archers) to run around behind obstacles and blast the enemy units until they were gone. Their number were so far over mine it took a while. Now I have 3 armories in level 3, a barracks training area in level 1 and my guys are up to 15 units. But I don't know how to rebuild my armies. I am running out of guys. I have 18.9 sword dancers, 7.3 Archers and 6.7 Treants. I am not even sure what all this means. From what I've read of this guide, I should not even have started fighting yet. I have wiped out all the Easy and all except one of the Medium Provinces around my village. So; where do I go from here?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser10842

Here's another question: Why doesn't each village have a selection of equipment to outfit your soldiers from the Armories? Some availability for armor upgrades, fast boots, heavier more damaging arrows, fire arrows, explosive arrows, massive swords of beating, and other items would be nice.

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
Here's another question: Why doesn't each village have a selection of equipment to outfit your soldiers from the Armories? Some availability for armor upgrades, fast boots, heavier more damaging arrows, fire arrows, explosive arrows, massive swords of beating, and other items would be nice.

Because that would be a different game.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
Ok, I'm very new. I didn't get into the guides until after I had practically built my village. I didn't know I had Quests to guide me in what to do first, second and so on. I began fighting in the provinces soon after I scouted them including my first one. I used the manual mode rather than trust a computer to play it. I should have negotiated most of them at first but I thought I should fight in order to save supplies. I began fighting and losing a lot of armies. I didn't understand that the 39 armies they had would clobber my 6 armies. I started developing a strategy where I would use one or two archers (this is beginning level archers) to run around behind obstacles and blast the enemy units until they were gone. Their number were so far over mine it took a while. Now I have 3 armories in level 3, a barracks training area in level 1 and my guys are up to 15 units. But I don't know how to rebuild my armies. I am running out of guys. I have 18.9 sword dancers, 7.3 Archers and 6.7 Treants. I am not even sure what all this means. From what I've read of this guide, I should not even have started fighting yet. I have wiped out all the Easy and all except one of the Medium Provinces around my village. So; where do I go from here?

We'll probably need a bit more info to help with details, but the first thing I'd do is take a breath and slow down, lol! This game is a marathon, not a sprint.
You get more troops by training them in the barracks. Click on the barracks and your training cue comes up. It will cost supplies to train troops, so you will not save supplies by fighting, but you will save on goods. You probably want to slow down on clearing provinces anyway if you're going for fighting over negotiating in the provinces. Look at the requirements to open the next chapter chest. You can go over that number a bit, but not a whole lot if you want the fights to be winnable with fewer troop losses. So, train troops while you wait on clearing provinces for now. Also, the 'advanced scouts' tech at the beginning of each chapter reduces the costs of negotiating and the difficulty of the battles in any province not yet scouted. So, take a look at how many provinces you need to clear to finish the chapter you are in. You'll have to scout and complete those before you can open a chest to reduce the rest. Hold off on scouting more until you can open the next 'advanced scouts' tech. Also, completing provinces in a circular pattern around your city keeps the battle difficulty balanced. Each successive ring out from your city is a higher difficulty. The other thing I can think of that reduces battle difficulty is squad size upgrades. As you unlock those upgrades, provinces can change their current rating (ex: hard may go to medium; medium to easy) if your size improves enough to trigger the next lower rating. The squad size of the enemy troops was determined when the last 'advanced scout' technology was completed.
You can spend some time here:
https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/mykans-guide-fighting-guide.4205/ learning about the battle system. Each province type (marble, crystal, elixir, etc) has a key unit, you'll want to train up a bunch of those before fighting to clear that province. Learning which units are specialized against which enemy units will enable you to defeat enemies who outnumber you. I think the ratio of 1.5:1 requires a moderate level of tactical skill. You'll learn how to choose key units and support units in the guide, hopefully shortening the learning curve for strategy. You will not have all the unit types until mid-way through chapter 3. Until then, the battle system is stacked against you. It will ease up once you get all the unit types. Once you have a better feel for the cost and time to produce goods/troops, it will be easier to determine whether to negotiate or fight a specific encounter.
The other thing you can do while you build up your military units is build and upgrade military buildings. If you have the treant, you also have the cerberus if you build the training grounds (that tech is opened way before the treant). The guide has a good explanation of the effects of building and upgrading barracks, armories, and training grounds on the number and amount of time it takes to train units.
Hopefully, that's enough to get you started on developing and carrying out a plan to get the most out of your efforts in the game. It's a lot to wrap your brain around, but it's so much fun!

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
Oh, tournaments! If you're not in a fellowship, you should join one. You can then participate in tournaments and that really helps with learning the battle system. Tournament squad sizes are much smaller than regular provinces, so you lose fewer troops as you learn. Also, the first rounds are set up so you outnumber the enemy with enemy sizes growing as you progress through the rounds.

DeletedUser7573

It's all in placement. The Cerebus are excellent against any under-guarded mage units. I use them to knock out the mage units, and my Treants to suck up the heavy melee. Sword Dancers when fully promoted can be used, but all the guides I have seen on battles, do not mention them. Golems stack up nicely against the Cannoneers, Myst walkers and enemy dryads. The sorceress is is good against mobs of light infantry along with Treants to suck the heavy melee guards. Orc Strategists are a good augment to knock out light melee with the sorceress and Treants.