• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Open Markets Dominance

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
The following is in response to a thread where a player said the Evlenar economy is "closed." I beg to differ.

First, a couple definitions. An open market is, in it's final form, a place where transactions are controlled entirely by the parties in the transaction. Such markets cannot fully exist as they would be, by definition, lawless.

A closed market is, in it’s final form, a market in which all transactions are done by the state and the human parties involved have a completely prescribed set of actions they do in performing the transaction. All aspects are governed by the government, including prices and conditions.

Neither open markets or closed markets in their extreme iterations can exist in the world because, on one side it would be anarchy, and on the other, totalitarianism of the type where all citizens are just robots.

That a fully open market is destructive of the foundations of trading altogether, I’ll leave as pretty obvious.

But what of a closed market? For there to be a close market there must fist be a closed economy. Why? Because to control all market conditions you have to control all inputs and outputs (“imports and exports”) of the economy. These inputs and outputs include not only the actual goods and services being traded in the marketplace, but the intangibles which might influence the markets, including political ideas, media popularization of this or that, and so on. For in a closed economy (a planned economy), supply and demand must be kept in proper balance to insure stability in pricing. Any influence exerted outside the control of the planners would disrupt their calculations and thus destabilize the closed economy and markets in that economy.

Is it possible, therefore, to have such an economy? In theory, certainly. All you have to do is have no inputs or outputs – complete isolation based on complete self-sufficiency. This has been, more or less, tried. Japan pre-Admiral Perry, for instance. The results were not good as there were numerous times of starvation and the nation remained “backwards” for a long time. And that was not even a completely closed economy.

In any case, if one could isolate and be self-sufficient there would still be fluctuations in supply/demand if for no other reason then the weather. In a closed market such fluctuations would be handled by adjusting the price of the goods in accordance with the ration of supply and demand. But the changes would always be somewhat reactionary as there are always things happening that weren’t predicted. Somebody burns down one of two factories producing this or that and suddenly there’s a shortage. No one could predict it, but it happens. So the economic planners have to react to changing market conditions or leave things as they are. But that, too, won’t work.

It won’t work because the nature of human transaction is to avoid losing value and any “break even” transaction is a loss. Why? Because it took time and energy to make the transaction happen. If I buy a hundred widgets from you and transport them to my store, I need to add my own hourly labor rate to the cost at least, as well as the transportation costs. So that $100 of widgets I bought from you must be sold for, say $110. You can call the $10 gross profit, but, in essence, if it costs me $10 to make the transaction, pay my labor and shipping costs, there is no net profit in it. If I sell it for what I purchased it, I lose. Lose over and over and pretty soon I’m not making any transactions but sitting on a street, probably starving to death. If you leave the markets alone with prescribed prices and those don't reflect market conditions you will get a "black market" very, very quickly.

Thus the first misconception of a closed market: that the transaction is valued at the price offered compared to the price asked, alone. No transaction that is “break even” is actually “fair” to either party. It may look fair, but only if you forgo the totality of the transaction. That totality includes the items mentioned, but also, often, many, many other intangibles.

A second misconception, I believe, in thinking about markets, is that you can actually measure the value of the item. The value of any thing is what you can exchange it for. What most markets do is set that "value" by what the item has traded for in the past. It's "current value" is what it is trading for, at this point in time. It is no guarantee that it's actually worth that amount since market conditions and individual transactions are governed by those making the trade, not by the predictions of those making predictions. And such predictions can be wrong if they don't anticipate sudden fluctuations in supply/demand. In a game like Elvenar the change in the perceived value of scrolls was pretty fast. A couple weeks after the introduction of the Moon Stone Set, you could see it. But since it takes a time to measure the impact of such a change, to analyze it, to suggest “remedies,” to analyze the impact of those “remedies” and to implement them, the adjustment is still forth-coming (or not).

But broadly seen, the Elvenaar economy is neither isolated nor closed.

It is not isolated exactly because transactions are in the hands of the players whose lives do intersect with the game. The emotional and financial state of the players influence their decisions for good or ill. Trades are not controlled even if they are heavily influenced. And if you don’t control the perceived value of a thing you don’t control it’s trade value.

And it is not closed because not only do the players decide what to trade and when, they also purchase and spend diamonds. Diamonds are “imported” by trading for an “external” value. I use diamonds to purchase expansions and that’s pretty much all I’ve done. Why? Because I think the prices on just about everything else too high for the $ I used to purchase the diamonds. The principle here is that if the value of a thing in a closed market is influenced by the value of things outside the closed market, the market cannot be controlled, and is thus, not closed. To the degree the “outside” things influence the market the less the market is closed.

Having said that, we get to three ways the Elvenar economy and markets are not closed and the question of why they are more open that some people would, apparently, like.

1) You can purchase things in the game with money from outside the game. If the value of that which is outside the game fluctuates so will the value of the things inside the game, either directly or indirectly.

2) The actual value of goods is set by those making the transaction, not the system. Whatever claims the system has about the “fair” value do not take into account the intangibles.

3) System pricing is set by and aggregate cost of production rather than individual cost of production plus intangibles within the individual transaction, and thus may out of line with the what the players actually sense is the value of the good.

Edit: I spoke, at first, about a fourth way Elvenaar is not a closed economy here – the use and apparent toleragion of “push accounts” -- but am not certain of it’s validity. I leave this edit just to suggest a line of inquiry.]

Why do people think Elvenar is a closed economy? Because they think the declaration by the devs of what is a fair transaction is the actual determiner of value. That’s the star system. I’ll not go into it here as it’s a bit off topic.

Why is Elvenar a more open economy than people like to admit? The evidence is in how people act.

1) Cross tier trading is up. If it were still considered “bad” or “only good for the really, really small players” people would do it less. But it’s increasing and that tells me the players are exerting their valuations over that of the system.

3) 3 star offers are way up. People are devaluing their boosted goods as they seek to purchase the goods they need. This means that either the value of these goods is not the 1:1 the devs have declared, or there are other, intangibles, that are influencing the game. How about the Spire? I suspect the demand for goods is because negotiating the Spire has risen, but of course, I don’t really know.

4) Scrolls are being discounted over what the devs have declared their value. This is simple supply/demand ratio reaction but it does show that the “enforcement” of the set values is not in the hands of those controlling the “closed economy” but in the individual players.

In a closed economy these things would not occur unless the planners were wildly incompetent. I don't think they are such here and thus, I conclude the openness of the Elvenaar economy is greater than some would consider it to be.

AJ

StarLoad

It is a closed Economy because I can't switch between MFG as I choose(retaining my boost to be most efficient) and the future needs of the output from the mfg are controlled by the game designers. Look at ch15 and tell me that the need for 1.5Mil of EACH S3 good, is an example, forcing me to build all three S3's (not efficient nor sustainable) or go to the market and try to trade to make up the shortfall.

Since I can't alter my boosts and am at the mercy of the game designers.
Since I can't make all 3 S3 goods I must trade, within a 24 hr period due to decay, and since in ch15 I need many times to have multiple S3 goods over 150K I need to make cross-tier trades to fill both, not a matter of choice.
3star trades get you to the top of the trade list, but do not guarantee that the trade is taken, however, if there are 32 pages of your needed goods you best make your trade look better than everyone else's to get noticed ... and so on and so on it goes.

You can phrase it any way you want AJ, but IMO it is closed as I don't have the ability to change to meet market demands or market forces.

ajqtrz

The idea of being "stuck" with this or that resource may have some bearing on the matter but it's certainly not un-surmountable. Just as a farmer may have soil unable to grow a certain profitable crop but can another, less profitable, one, does that make it patently unfair that the guy 2 miles down the road has better soil and can grow that more profitable crop? But if you come along and tell me I can only sell my crop to 2 buyers (i.e. trade my crop for only two other things), and I know of a place where I can sell it for some other thing and make more, but you insist on enforcing your rule, you think that's fair?

I agree that you start with X and can't change that. But I started boosted in scrolls and seem to have managed well. I don't have an surplus of scrolls because I did three things: 1) lowered my scrolls production, and 2) trade my scrolls at a discount (sometimes as high as 30%), and 3) trade my scrolls for things other than crystal/silk. Is it unfair to me when compared to other players? Maybe. But I'm not competing with other players, I'm mostly competing with myself. I wish everybody to prosper, but my main concern is that I prosper. And I am and I'm arguing others can too.

As for the sentient goods? I have gum, silk, bismuth. You think I have a surplus of these? Sure, but I just trade them for whatever I need at a 10% discount and I'm doing just fine. Again, flexibility in thinking about what things are actually worth rather than having the devs or other players tell you, is key.

AJ

StarLoad

Ahh but AJ you defeat your own argument, in an open economy that resources that are un-profitable will become profitable due to market scarcity, that is what an open market does. But in this economy, it will always be unprofitable because you can change the input cost, nor the mfg cost and you cant raise the output price.

My non-boosted steel will always cost the same, at level, as everyone's, and the MFG time and cost is the same, and the output will be the same.
The only variable is your culture boost that would equally affect the input and output the same, but over the entire player base of non-boosted steel players I would assume that it would average out.

ajqtrz

Ahh but AJ you defeat your own argument, in an open economy that resources that are un-profitable will become profitable due to market scarcity, that is what an open market does. But in this economy, it will always be unprofitable because you can change the input cost, nor the mfg cost and you cant raise the output price.

My non-boosted steel will always cost the same, at level, as everyone's, and the MFG time and cost is the same, and the output will be the same.
The only variable is your culture boost that would equally affect the input and output the same, but over the entire player base of non-boosted steel players I would assume that it would average out.

That some resources in the game can become scarce is obvious to me. We have a hard time getting silk in our part of the world. And that means we have to pay more for it. Open markets are dynamic and thus respond to scarcity and abundance. Profit is taken within a time when the scarcity/abundance are there, not when the markets are balanced. You assume the demand is linked directly the the costs and since you can't "change the input cost, the mfr cost" and the "output price" there is no room for profit. My understanding of your argument is that because the costs are stable and equal for all, the value will remain stable as well. If I'm right and understand your argument, you make the same mistake as the developers in how they use the star system to peg the relative value of goods based upon production costs. Unfortunately, the value is not wholly tied to production costs and that means, fluctuation in values.

As I've said, the "intangibles' mean the perceived value of a thing fluctuates. I need some goods to finish a tournament run. I need some others to do some research. My needs for this or that good, fluctuates so my valuation of those goods fluctuates. Fluctuating values are always an opportunity for profit.

Your analysis is true on the surface of it, so long as you don't include the intangible measures of timing, desire, and even greed. Once you get those involved the market will respond in the same manner as the "real world" in that there will be people taking profit, working the "system" and trying their best to take advantage of things. Inno tried, and I believe has failed, to have a controlled market exactly because it appears bad to have players "gouging" each other. But in the end it's real people playing and they will do what real people do even in an "artificial" market.

In the end it's that people are involved that makes the difference. People aren't a theoretical market, and if they are involved in one they will always do the same thing...by low and sell high for profit.

AJ

StarLoad

AJ you are correct that the intangibles are the "unknown" part of the equation, but I didn't make the same mistake as the developers, I was showing, or Highlighting the fact that the "tangible" aspects were exactly fixed by the game and that the developers "expected" this to rule the game and never imagined the "intangibles" to be in the economy.

Maybe I am assuming too much on the part of the developers, but after seeing the actions of the past, the great nerf of pop and culture of 2018?, the recent tournament changes, and other very poorly executed operations, leads me to give them very low levels of common sense and even lower understanding of the game in the real world.

The best example I can offer is that as you say silk is scarce for you pay a premium for it if you want it now. I get that and agree, but then you add a player that has lots of silk and Poof no more scarcity. Open market forces now say you won't pay a premium for it (as you don't see it as a scarce item now) and you will wait for your player to take the trade, correct? But the old seller still may price his trade at the scarcity levels and is not directly aware of the change in market forces.

Now whoever lost that player may now be short of silk and will become the new customer for the higher-priced silk. This is why I say the fixed attributes are the only thing the developers understand and failed to contain all the intangibles, and allowed the imbalance of goods to continue well after it was obvious.

Last edited:

ajqtrz

The thing is markets are dynamic and one of the advantages of understanding that is to watch carefully and evaluate based upon that fact. The devs want a stable market and the players, in general it seems, don't want to do the work of figuring out what the current market conditions might be. I noticed as soon as I joined that certain goods went up in value as the tournament for those goods progressed. It's a regular fluctuation and I've used it to my good. None of my trades was "unfair," because I recognized the value of the other players "intangibles" and acted accordingly.

Now of course, you say that we can add a player with a lot of silk and our shortages will go away. That is true, but it takes time to find and recruit that player and the cost of doing so may be more to me than the cost of paying a bit more for silk. Finding a big silk player is part of the game and the value of that effort may be an intangible that is more costly to me than using my surplus steel to purchase the silk we need.

So yes, equilibrium can be reached, but it won't be permanent. And players can be uninformed about the current relative value of their goods and sell them for less than they could otherwise. But paying attention to such fluctuations is also an intangible. It might be the effort is more costly to the player than just paying the price for the goods. That too is the players choice.

In the end that's what I'm for. The ability of a player to trade as he or she sees fit without being condemned by others and punished if they break some "rule" a fellowship has made. Open markets mean more fluctuations, perhaps, but those too, are part of the game.

AJ

Gladiola

One of the fundamentals of efficient markets is missing from Elvenar: information. With the exception of the market for sentient goods, information about buying and selling prices of goods is limited to players' trade radiuses, which can be quite limited in the case of new players or players in inactive areas of the map. One could regard the tier and star system employed in the game as an attempt to compensate for that.

However, in the absence of the fundamental assumption of perfect (or even adequate) information, I have a hard time knowing what other assumptions are sufficient to support your apparent hypothesis that the markets are efficient.

Can you describe the mathematical model that you are using?