• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Optimizing Space Usage in Your City

DeletedUser1122

Scouting - suggest you read LordB posts in Beta forum on scouting. As you advance the goal is to get to the most provinces that you can given the limitations of coin storage.
I will share with our group. Lots of work and thank-you

DeletedUser594

I got a chucke at the layout- mine looks just a bit similar, though not quite as tidy- nice work

2hwcpz9.jpg

Jackluyt

Platinum Leaf -FB
When I first posted this, I did not know how to include photos!
That's why I gave the Facebook link.

Here is the actual post:

TIP OF THE DAY #49: THE TEN GOLDEN RULES OF SPACE OPTIMIZATION

1. Place your main hall in one of the corners of the board, with no more than 2 roads leading from it. This is because they grow so bulky and awkwardly-sized that they start to dictate your plans if you have them in the middle and try to build around them.
Get your other big bulky buildings right out at the corners too! Away from the centre - it is difficult to build around them.
There will come a day when you really need to move them to the corner of your city. Better to do it at an early stage of the game when there are fewer buildings to move!!
Best is to put your Hall in the top corner and build streets downward and sidewards from there.

2. Place all your culture buildings and builder's hut down the outside of the board. They do not need to be touched by a road.

3. Replace obsolete culture buildings with newer models that give more culture per grid block.

4. Convert all your roads to the highest version you have unlocked - that increases your culture by 10 or 20 or 30 for every road block - and gives you the equivalent of an extra culture building or two without wasting space. There's no need to erase/delete the street, you can build the new blocks directly over the old ones.

5. Roads should serve two buildings, not one. Try to juggle your buildings so they are touched by only one road. Try not to waste 'road contact' on Builder's Hut and Culture buildings that do not need it. You want to keep the number of road blocks down to the minimum possible, to save space.

6, For the same reason, try not to have roads at the edge of your game. Roads that touch only one building are wasted space.

7. You can gain extra 'free' culture by placing little Culture ornaments at the end of a road that runs to the edge of the board. The buildings on either side of the road need only be touched by one road block, not 2 or 3; you can use the 'wasted space' for a little extra culture.

8. Keep your board square, not oblong or with offshoots. That is the best use of space.

9. When you are making rectangular buildings, stack them so the shorter side touches the road, so you use fewer road blocks per building. It can make an IMMENSE difference.
When I rearranged my 2x4 residences from long-side-touching to short-side-touching, I saved about 20 road blocks – enough to build an extra building!

10. Try to group all your buildings by type, in lines or blocks. This makes it easier for you to keep tabs on exactly what you have; it also makes it easier to shift stuff around when you are re-modelling your city layout.
And it makes it easier for visitors to see what's what in your pot!
If you ever apply to join a new fellowship, it shows that you have an organized approach to the game, and makes it easier for their Archmage to see exactly which Boosted factories you have.

049.jpg

This is a screenshot of my latest rearrangement (using Tip #48 "Zoom Control" wink emoticon ) with a few explanatory notes. The white arrow shows the road blocks I no longer need = freed-up space.
wink emoticon

1. The 'Golden Rule' says place the Main Hall in the corner. But 9 Temples of Holy Fire fit the top row perfectly - so it was a no-brainer to bend the rule and move it down one block.

2. Similarly, 13 Workshops fill the second row perfectly, so it is a no-brainer to place them there. (See point 5)

3. At my level the Temple of Holy Fire is by far the best Culture building - it gives 2400 from 5x5 blocks (96 Culture per block), whereas the Garden of Harmony only gives 2100 from 5x6 (70 Culture per block),
They are both 5 blocks high, so it is a seamless upgrade with no rearrangement required.

4. I put a row of Wayfarers Taverns down the right border.- they only give 1300 Culture, but also 460 extra population which I figured I would need for the Fairies.
You may figure otherwise!
wink emoticon

5. My Workshops (5x3) and Plankeries (5x2) are 'long' - so I arranged them side-to-side to minimise contact with roads.
My Residences (2x4), Silkeries (3x4) and Gemmeries (4x5) are 'wide' - so I arranged them top-to-bottom for the same reason.
Try arranging them the other way and see how much extra road you waste!
grin emoticon

6. I have grouped all buildings of the same type, for the reasons given in Rule #10.
Also it makes collecting my Goods and their related Quests so much easier because I do not need to move all over the board - they are all in the same place.

7. I placed my Builder's Hut right next to the Main Hall, so visitors do not have to search for it. (When you visit, your friend's Main Hall is always at the center of your screen when his city opens)

NB Please feel free to add comments and make suggestions - this is a work in progress!!

Jackluyt

Platinum Leaf -FB
The Latest!

Pretty much as good as it can get, right now.
I replaced the Taverns with Harvest Festivals when I unlocked the Tech - much more Culture per block.

I have lost all the extra population though - now I am in the red by 860. But that doesn't matter - I am not using any pop now and once I have upgraded the houses I will have plenty.

Then I can start worrying how to upgrade the warehouses from 5x3 to 3x6!

The Level 19 houses are really pretty!
049a.jpg

DeletedUser1053

I placed my culture along the top and right hand sides with my mh just under in the top corner. Though I am considering getting rid of some culture and putting in more residences. I need the pop.

DeletedUser

DeletedUser43

I will be interested to see what you do when you upgrade your silk factories and the workshops and the culture to the Ponds. As an Elf, I find the extra space on the bottom not so useful when all the buildings got wider, not longer.

Jackluyt

Platinum Leaf -FB
I will be interested to see what you do when you upgrade your silk factories and the workshops and the culture to the Ponds. As an Elf, I find the extra space on the bottom not so useful when all the buildings got wider, not longer.

You are not the only one who would be interested!
I'm not going to cross that bridge before I get there.
I doubt if I will upgrade the silk - space to benefit ration and hassle to benefit ration seem too low to bother. I guess the warehouses have to go down the side of the board - they are the same width as the Dwarven barracks

I guess I am hoping subconsciously that they will give us the next set of expansions before I get there!
:)

DeletedUser627

This is a great thread! From this point forward, some options to consider:

Cornering: Use 5x5's for corners. If it's a culture building, it's tucked out of the way in an otherwise wasted space. If it's a Wonder (or similar building requiring a street), let the adjacent buildings be blocked so that only 1 square of the 5x5 is exposed.

upload_2016-4-19_19-27-25.png

Deadending: Streets can deadend into large buildings - this method is a virtual freebie, since the roads already service 2 adjacent buildings.

DeletedUser2479

As a relative newcomer, it's great to see a post that confirms the decisions I've made in my own City. The only thing I disagree with is that the Magic Academy should be in the further upper right position, with the Main Hall just to its left. I'll explain in the 3rd paragraph.

I had to start expanding my residences from 2x2 to 2x3, and around the same time add the 5x5 Magic Academy. I realized my Elvin homes would need to be rotated so that the short side would touch the road (this would reduce space taken up with pathways). Until then, I had the Main Hall in the default location. I also realized that Culture would be a problem, so to keep those buildings from taking up locations with pathways, I decided to move them to the perimeter.

To minimize wasted space, I moved the Magic Academy to the upper right, and placed the Main Hall just to its left. The reason this is better is because there are 3x3 & 3x4 culture buildings that need no path contact. Placing them along the upper edge would mean I could start the buildings directly in front of the Main Hall, and use even less paths. So, the entire upper portion, from the Magic Academy along the entire edge, is culture. I also added a 1x1 culture building at the end of each path.

If anyone sees a way to improve my layout, I'd appreciate the feedback!

Attachments

• city.JPG
    city.JPG
    310.5 KB · Views: 1,604
Last edited by a moderator: