• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Optional Squad Size research today ?

Elivarian

Hi

How is it working for and against us today, SS research upgrades ?

It costs on tournament as to every research makes our amount of troops entering a fight bigger, and thereby the losses bigger.

It gives us bigger squads in map provinces which makes the fights easier.

Of course when using the troop instants we get more troops per instant.

Is it worth it doing the optional SS researches ?

I cater most my map provinces.

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
It is my understanding that they fixed the SS research hit on the tournaments. I'm thinking it was when the tournament changed. I know a bunch of players who went back and did the optional researches they had skipped.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
It was removed from aspire/Tourney formulas in the Oct 2020 tourney format changes so it’s long gone. It still affects map provinces and some wonder benefits are tied to squad size. Don’t think one can paint with broad strokes to say to open them or not as everyone’s playing style and needs are different. However, when they rolled out the Oct changes, they did mention it was removed as to not punish players for doing more.

hoopity

Optional SS research also increases the troops rewarded by Troop Instants. I'm not sure if direct troop rewards from events is scaled by Chapter or SS.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
Caveat: Primarily fighting cities here.
After the changes to the tourney structure, I went back and completed all the optional SS research I had skipped. I didn't do them all at once; I filled them with kp and paused there until an event quest for 'activate a tech' appeared, then used them for that. I still do that when I move through the chapters, the techs are usually activated by chapter end or early in the next chapter now. Map encounters are mostly blue (very easy) now, but that was not the reason for taking those techs. I only do map encounters when called for in event quests; I do way more tourney/Spire encounters week in/week out. The biggest impact for me was on AW rewards. There are AW rewards that are based on SS. Some of these I consider incidental like the troop productions (ex: Bulwark produces Barracks light melee as a percentage of SS) since that is not the primary reason I have for building those AW's. Bulwark was built to drive training size higher to be able to produce something 24/7 even when AFK. It was helpful to use along with the Needles that increased training speed, sometimes to the point where queues would run out overnight, producing nothing for a couple hours. I only took Bulwark to lvl 6, then got Shrooms (same thing but based on armory levels) and upgraded it since I was keeping SS low then because of the old tourney structure. Since catching up on the optional SS techs, upgrading Bulwark is now a good use of my kp. It was identified somewhere that increasing SS makes the troop producing culture bldgs less appealing since their production amounts are based on chapter, not SS. I think that's probably true. I do tend to use the crafted Orc Strat and Vallorian Guard buildings way less now anyway, but I use those troops sparingly as well. And things like the Witch Hut and the Dojo's are probably a less efficient use of space, but I'm keeping those, lol! I find that an acceptable trade-off for having 15hr training queues making 3 squads/training slot. Across all three buildings, that's 72 squads/day to replace lost troops. I don't usually lose 72 squads/day. My personal preferences for certain troops (Merc Camp!) cause the culture bldgs that make those troops to be appealing to me anyway. Every little bit helps, lol!
Edit to add: it was @BrinDarby (right above me here, lol!) that mentioned the lessened efficiency of the culture bldgs that produce troops.

Elivarian

Caveat: Primarily fighting cities here.
After the changes to the tourney structure, I went back and completed all the optional SS research I had skipped. I didn't do them all at once; I filled them with kp and paused there until an event quest for 'activate a tech' appeared, then used them for that. I still do that when I move through the chapters, the techs are usually activated by chapter end or early in the next chapter now. Map encounters are mostly blue (very easy) now, but that was not the reason for taking those techs. I only do map encounters when called for in event quests; I do way more tourney/Spire encounters week in/week out. The biggest impact for me was on AW rewards. There are AW rewards that are based on SS. Some of these I consider incidental like the troop productions (ex: Bulwark produces Barracks light melee as a percentage of SS) since that is not the primary reason I have for building those AW's. Bulwark was built to drive training size higher to be able to produce something 24/7 even when AFK. It was helpful to use along with the Needles that increased training speed, sometimes to the point where queues would run out overnight, producing nothing for a couple hours. I only took Bulwark to lvl 6, then got Shrooms (same thing but based on armory levels) and upgraded it since I was keeping SS low then because of the old tourney structure. Since catching up on the optional SS techs, upgrading Bulwark is now a good use of my kp. It was identified somewhere that increasing SS makes the troop producing culture bldgs less appealing since their production amounts are based on chapter, not SS. I think that's probably true. I do tend to use the crafted Orc Strat and Vallorian Guard buildings way less now anyway, but I use those troops sparingly as well. And things like the Witch Hut and the Dojo's are probably a less efficient use of space, but I'm keeping those, lol! I find that an acceptable trade-off for having 15hr training queues making 3 squads/training slot. Across all three buildings, that's 72 squads/day to replace lost troops. I don't usually lose 72 squads/day. My personal preferences for certain troops (Merc Camp!) cause the culture bldgs that make those troops to be appealing to me anyway. Every little bit helps, lol!
Edit to add: it was @BrinDarby (right above me here, lol!) that mentioned the lessened efficiency of the culture bldgs that produce troops.

I'm only nearing the end of Orcs, so i can't produce Rangers and therefor love my 5 Dojo's and have put an insane amount of RR's into upgrading them. Thet're not Orc level. I don't use that many, and need to be able to upgrade my Amuni Ships when i enter Woodelves, for Mana :)

I have Triumph of Tides for some Vallorians, it's only chapter 5, so needs a lot of RR's to upgrade, but i don't use them that often, so for the moment it can wait too.

6 armories total. 3 level 21 and 3 level 23. Bulwark level 6. Maxed out Barracks. Training Ground one level from max. Merc no need to upgrade it more, level 3. total production time is 9 hours. just a nite's sleep ;-)

Had 4 optionals i hadn't done, but just did one, so 3 left. Will be done by end tournament :)

And yes, i otherwise think troop producing event buildings are a laugh.

I do thought have the Witch Summoning Circle, but Banshee's are just a part of what else comes out of that building.

Raccon

I'm only nearing the end of Orcs, so i can't produce Rangers and therefor love my 5 Dojo's and have put an insane amount of RR's into upgrading them. Thet're not Orc level. I don't use that many, and need to be able to upgrade my Amuni Ships when i enter Woodelves, for Mana 
I underestand your desier to upgrade your Dojo culture/troop buildings, however I wish you had saved enough RRs to upgrade your Triumph Of The Tides as well, because you'll need lots of Mana in the next chapter and the Triumph Of The Tides is one of the good buildings for Mana.

Elivarian

I underestand your desier to upgrade your Dojo culture/troop buildings, however I wish you had saved enough RRs to upgrade your Triumph Of The Tides as well, because you'll need lots of Mana in the next chapter and the Triumph Of The Tides is one of the good buildings for Mana.

It's not a problem, i have gotten myself 6 Amuni Ships which i will place and upgrade when i enter Woodelves. Then i can Circle back to Triumph if needed :)

Bellerefon

I follow exactly the same pattern like @samidodamage

Did 2 SS ups last week due to Buried City event. Now my training cycle increased from 9:59 to 10:20.
Rest looks unaffected, although i was wishing to get a lower color on some provinces.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Did 2 SS ups last week due to Buried City event. Now my training cycle increased from 9:59 to 10:20.
Rest looks unaffected, although i was wishing to get a lower color on some provinces.

Squad size research, by itself, has no effect on training times. Upgrading the armories, or the two AWs that increase training sizes, increase training times. Upgrading the Barracks and other two troop buildings, and the three AWs tied to them, reduce training times. One specific thing will increase your training size when you research a squad size and that is if you have the Dwarven Bulwark AW. The Bulwark increases your training size based on a percentage of your base squad size.