• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Orcs and Armories

neeronie

I am in chapter 14 in one world and I have two armories making orcs. I have noticed a lack of armories in the other cities that I visit. Do I need the armories and if not how do I get the Orcs I need?

qaccy

Armories are firstly a military building, so players who don't have military as a focus will generally have fewer armories. Orcs can alternatively be obtained from Orc Nests, a building you can craft in the Magic Academy. It's not too hard to acquire several of these (though it can take a while) and use them to supply the orcs you need without having to devote space and other resources to build armories, along with supplies needed to produce the orcs.

neeronie

Armories are firstly a military building, so players who don't have military as a focus will generally have fewer armories. Orcs can alternatively be obtained from Orc Nests, a building you can craft in the Magic Academy. It's not too hard to acquire several of these (though it can take a while) and use them to supply the orcs you need without having to devote space and other resources to build armories, along with supplies needed to produce the orcs.
Thank you I think I will keep mine and look for the Nests

Socrates28

Considering the number of Orcs needed for upgrades in chapter 14, and more in 15, I have 3 armories working full time making them along with 2 Orc Nests. Also if you train troops at all they add a great boost to the number of troops you can train at the same time.
To build on what @qaccy said, to go that route consider the space needed to replace an armory as well as the additional time you will have to wait if you don't have enough of them to fullly replace the output of an Armory. My next WS upgrade needs 15,750 Orcs per WS. At chapter 14 my Orc Nest puts out 17/hr or 410 a day. One Armory (L33) puts out 2400 a day, and at L34 2600/day. So you would need 7 Nests to replace one Armory.
IMO the Nests are a nice addition to, but not a replacement for, and Armory.

Deleted User - 3932582

At chapter 14 my Orc Nest puts out 17/hr or 410 a day. One Armory (L33) puts out 2400 a day, and at L34 2600/day. So you would need 7 Nests to replace one Armory.
IMO the Nests are a nice addition to, but not a replacement for, and Armory.
Chapter 15 Orc Nests do significantly better. They do 880 per day in 8 squares, and generate 2800 culture each. L35 Armory produces 2800 orcs a day (actually less with slippage), so you only need 24 tiles worth of ONs (3x). L35 Armory needs 28 tiles by itself, and it also needs 5154 in pop and 12217 culture. So yeah, for orcs production Orc Nests absolutely can be a replacement for Armory.

Even for chapter 14 it is probably not bad after all the pop and culture requirements for Armories are factored in.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Unless you are a fighter who wants the additional Heavy melee damage, the Hero's Forge is a pretty inefficient way to produce Orcs. And if you are, having two upgraded armouries isn't likely to be an issue.

Socrates28

Chapter 15 Orc Nests do significantly better. They do 880 per day in 8 squares, and generate 2800 culture each. L35 Armory produces 2800 orcs a day (actually less with slippage), so you only need 24 tiles worth of ONs (3x). L35 Armory needs 28 tiles by itself, and it also needs 5154 in pop and 12217 culture. So yeah, for orcs production Orc Nests absolutely can be a replacement for Armory.
Even for chapter 14 it is probably not bad after all the pop and culture requirements for Armories are factored in.
Dear @MinMax Gamer, you are quite right and your points are on target. However I did not say it could not be done. I only gave my opinion on what the question was asking, not that they could not do it. Your point on slippage is well taken, and at the same time it applies to all segments of the game. So to me it is not a factor in the decision making process. It is just a part of the game itself.
I would think in the end the decision on the way to go would depend on how much @neeronie wants to fight. The Armories incease the number of troops in your training squads and effects all troops training sizes, which the Orc Nests do not. Lots of fighting means more troops needed of all classes, not only Orcs. Little or no fighting would tip the balance against Armories. Again, IMO Orc Nests are a supplement to and not a replacement for Armories. And of course that is the individual players decision to make.
Additionally I really appreciate your insight and analysis. I thank you for it all.

NightshadeCS

I am in chapter 14 in one world and I have two armories making orcs. I have noticed a lack of armories in the other cities that I visit. Do I need the armories and if not how do I get the Orcs I need?
nee, who are you visiting that doesn't have armories? I just went through and checked our FS, and everyone has at least two, a fair number 3, and a couple have 4. Must be some neighbors? If they are at the end of the game, they may have demolished them for something that they can do to help their fellows, like building more factories. Or teleported them.

Deleted User - 3932582

Your point on slippage is well taken, and at the same time it applies to all segments of the game. So to me it is not a factor in the decision making process. It is just a part of the game itself.
Slippage is definitely a part of my decision-making process. It is indeed everywhere in the game, but it is not distributed equally. In particular, I value producers with early collection higher than even somewhat higher nominal efficiency fixed time producers. With early collection it is quite possible to run 100% efficiency for months - effectively zero slippage. This is not possible with fixed time productions. The difference is especially noticeable if you don't track your fixed productions closely - accumulated slippage can be quite significant.

IIRC Orc Nests have 12h early collection on 24 hours production; Armories are on a fixed 12/24/etc schedule.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Maybe if Orc Nests could be bought in the store, the way you can armories, they would be more useful, but with the randomness of crafting choices, they are not. Depending on your luck, it could take you two weeks or a year to get 10 Orc Nests from crafting. Adding to that the need to use Royal Restorations to upgrade them, so they keep up with demand, if you are having the bad luck of getting new ones to show up, and they become even worse, especially for someone starting from zero and wanting to go this route.

qaccy

nee, who are you visiting that doesn't have armories? I just went through and checked our FS, and everyone has at least two, a fair number 3, and a couple have 4. Must be some neighbors? If they are at the end of the game, they may have demolished them for something that they can do to help their fellows, like building more factories. Or teleported them.

I can't even imagine having that few. I'm going to be adding a 7th armory soon because my training queue's getting some idle time overnight and it's starting to eat at me. Side note, with this many armories I've never needed any orc nests but the orc production's always been a secondary consideration for me lol

neeronie

Now that you have helped me to identify them and I upgraded mine I do see them. I have sold a culture building to gain more space and after the FA will upgrade a third armory. Thanks to all who have taken the time to respond to my question.