• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Phd. Bear to the Rescue

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
The one place you can't use KP instants is in the research. And, generally speaking, that's probably a good thing. But, given that sometimes you want to finish some research thing NOW (or in the next couple days) we ought to have a building we can use to apply KP instants to research.

Specifics: In keeping with the library theme of research:

Phd Bear would be an evolving building from another Bear Event
Phd Bear would be fed and active fo 24 hours.
Phd Bear would evolve from allowing you to use up 100 KP instants to advance your research to using 300 at level 10. (these numbers can be adjusted). Once you apply the set amount or the time runs out, you are done.
Phd Bear would "hibernate" for 5 days between feedings do it isn't abused.
Phd Bear would offer a small daily KP instant (perhaps 3 KP?)
Phd Bear would offer other things at the evolved levels, especially the T6 items needed for chapter 15 and 16.

Pros:
1) It makes finishing research for FA's easier and thus increases the amount of players finishing a chapter so they can contribute more to their FS's FA.
2) It allows a faster completion of research, especially in later, KP intensive, chapters when things take so long they may become discouraging.
3) It gives a place to use excess KP instants and thus drains the extra KP some players have sitting in their inventory
4) It encourages tournament and Spire play since some players will want to gather more KP instants for research.

Cons
1) Finishing research via KP instants may "unbalance" the game and allow players to finish even faster.
2) It may make the "playing field" uneven with larger players who garner more KP instants rushing ahead.
3) It will take some coding as the research interface would have to be adjusted.
4) The whole idea of using instants in research seems counter-productive to keeping the game from going too fast.

Discussion.

The whole point of slowing people down by not allowing the use of KP instants in the research tree is important and thus, any messing with that system should have a minimal impact on the speed of completion. But since Fellowship Adventures are not always predictable, many find it difficult to time their cities to finish a chapter so they can maximize the space they have to use in and FA. If we could adjust our research speed even a small bit -- 1-3 researches finished a bit earlier, more people would be able to finish their chapters and have a more active role in the FA. This, in turn makes the FA's more attractive and probably more profitable.

By limiting the use of it, the impact on the speed of research would be minimized. The amount of KP you can apply and the number of times you can feed the building in a given period of time should reduce the impact to very little.

So, while it's counter-intuitive I do think the addition of the Phd Bear would benefit the game both for the devs and the players by adding some needed flexibility in research timing.

AJ

Iamaita

There have been so many times that I have wished I could use the ancient knowledge instants in the research tree. Would it have to be a new evolving building that takes up space? What if we had a crafting option in the magic academy that allowed an ancient knowledge instant to be converted into a new type of instant for regular kp instead? This could be done at a loss to discourage overuse, so a 10 kp instant would be converted into a new instant that gives 5 regular knowledge points when used. You would have to craft them when they appear and then save them for when you really need them. This could also be done in reverse for situations where you are locked in the research tree - craft the regular kp into an ancient knowledge instant.

I love the idea of a PhD Bear. It would be cute. But the moon bear is already a kp Bear, so it could be seen as a little redundant to have another one that also gives kp. And I think a lot of players may be frustrated by having something else that takes up space. Having crafting options instead of a special building would also make this ability universally available to all players instead of only to those who participate in a specific event.

Palavyn

This is great. I love the 3 Ancient Knowledge and the T6 goods. The special ability will help lower level players advance through the research tree faster. Higher level players probably wouldn't use the special ability because when they are stuck on the research tree, it's usually from lack of resources.

Iamaita

@ajqtrz If it is another bear... should he be an alchemist bear since he’s transmuting the instants into a form that can be used in the research tree? Alchemist might be more in keeping with elvenar themes than PhD.

T6583

I’m not opposed to the idea but when the KP instants were first introduced they could be used in the tech tree for research. Inno eventually change it so that they can only be used on AW’s. They clearly did that for a reason. As I’m. It sure what that reason is I think Soggy makes a very good point about the combination of KP instants and Portal profits. However this kind of evolving bear would help elevate the KP issues that might occur with the tourney changes for players who haven’t yet reached Ch. 15.

Last edited:

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
when the KP instants were first introduced they could be used in the tech tree for research.
No, I do not recall ever being able to use them in the research tree. I do remember the multiple threads of people complaining about not being able to though.

T6583

@SoggyShorts are you sure? I trust and respect your opinion on things so you might be right but I could of sworn I used them in the research tree when they first came out. Then again my memory could be failing me as well.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
@SoggyShorts are you sure? I trust and respect your opinion on things so you might be right but I could of sworn I used them in the research tree when they first came out. Then again my memory could be failing me as well.
Yeah, I was on the front lines in harassing the developers to add KP packs to the game so that we didn't constantly lose KP overnight when a wonder completed or if you were afk when the tournament ended. I recall the push back from other players after implementation rather vividly.

Last edited:

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
As long as it avoids making new chapters too easy.
The potential combination of Portal Profits & using months of saved up KP packs in the research tree is dangerous.

I'm in chapter 15. After getting my portal to lvl 4 and doing all the researches that need anything from the other buildings I removed them and now am doing the whole chapter with portal profits. A lot of people are doing that. I have about 7 researches to do and find the need for sentient goods is slowing me down to the point where I can do one and maybe two researches per week. The shortages of the goods to do the researches is the bottleneck here and will continue to be so due to the sentient goods imbalances noted elsewhere. So for chapter 15 even if I could apply KP I probably would only do so if I had one or two researches to do before an FA and not enough time. That's my case and it's probably the case for a lot of chapter 15 players. However, it's my understanding that chapter 16 requires a lot more KP. So that's where we'll focus this discussion.

There are 41 researches to be done in chapter 16 and somewhere around 10,000 KP needed. If you allowed unlimited use of KP the average player might take a month or two to get that much KP. Let's say 3 months. That would, indeed, be two fast, I think. But if you restricted Phd Bear (I also like the alchemist name, btw and think it might even be better), to being used only 2-3 times a month AND it's KP to 100-300, only one or two of the larger researches could be done a month. In fact a level 10 bear with 300 KP "spells" (yikes, if you really wanted to make it hard you'd have to "fill" it with alchemist spells you make in the MA!), could only do one full research and a small part of another (unless they are one of the 8 really small ones). So 2 per month is probably about all that could be done with portal profits and Alchemist KP. If you ignore the 8 small researches, that leaves 33 "full sized" and thus it would take you 16.5 months at two a month. Given that you would also do others "by other means" during that time the acceleration might be 5-6 months at the most, making you still take about a year to do the chapter. Is a year "too short?" I doubt it and am reasonably certain it's within the parameters of what the devs anticipate. In fact, the length of the chapters and how long they were taking might have been the reason for the portal profits being introduced. If the chapters take 3 years to do -- which at the rate of growth in their length would be at about chapter 22-25.

Finally, on the positive side, as I think about it, there may be a bit of a strain on continuing to play as the chapters reach the 1-2 years to do. I certainly don't like that it's taken me a bunch of time to do chapter 15 -- it seems like I'm approaching a year, but it's probably been only 5-6 months with 2 more months before it where I upgraded everything in anticipation of the new chapter. So by having an ability to speed it up even a small amount it makes the game more attractive to the long term players in the later chapters AND all the others as they can then "adjust" the finishing of their chapters in anticipation of the next FA (thus improving the participation in the FA's).

Hopefully this discussion has brought you to the belief that this idea won't speed thing up too much, but enough to help in the really long chapters and in improving FA participation rates.

Thanks for your response, as always thoughtful and useful.

AJ

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
@SoggyShorts I guess my memory is from wishful thinking then when they first came out.
You might actually be remembering when various prizes (including tournaments, gave actual KP instead of instants. I still recall the frustrating rush to spend them after the tournament paid out, to avoid my bar being filled and locked off. There were a few Saturday lunches where I got annoying looks from my better half for wanting to rush home early.