• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Players across multiple worlds

Myne

Oh Wise One
If you have players in your FS playing other worlds but they are not really contributing to the FS by trading and meeting the very reasonable tourney minimums you have asked for, what do you do? What is your process?

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Are they in a fellowship with you in the other worlds also or just in the one where they are slacking? If just the one, follow the fellowship rules and kick them out if they do not improve. If you share other fellowships with them, that is more sensitive and good luck figuring it out without getting them upset enough to quit all your fellowships.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
I've run into this problem before. I have one or two players in my fs who have 4 worlds they play in. And it shows. They aren't "bad" players and contribute a good deal, but you can't help wondering, especially during an FA, if the other worlds aren't a bit of a distraction. So what I've been doing now for a long time, is replacing them with players with no more than 2 cities AND, the one joining my fs must be the largest, preferably, by a lot. Over time I've gotten to the point where 23 out of 25 are in that situation and it shows in the steady and strong play I get from them.

AJ

Myne

Oh Wise One
Sorry, but I don't understand your question. Players who fail to fulfill clear requirements should be warned, right? What difference does it make whether or not they also play in other worlds?

I have a few who play across all the worlds. The don't interact with the rest of us really and they also do not really contribute to the FS tourney. Come to think about it, they only very rarely trade too. I am asking what your process is for dealing with folks like this.

To add another question....have you found that the number of cities they play interferes with how they contribute to your fellowship?

Myne

Oh Wise One
Are they in a fellowship with you in the other worlds also or just in the one where they are slacking? If just the one, follow the fellowship rules and kick them out if they do not improve. If you share other fellowships with them, that is more sensitive and good luck figuring it out without getting them upset enough to quit all your fellowships.

I am only playing Harandar

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
We should tag @Lelanya to see how she handles all her cities, since I think she has 10 or 11, and if she has been treated poorly by a fellowship because of it.

@Myne then the question is, is this player in your fellowship also in other fellowships with some of the other players in yours? If they have friendships with other players to the point they share multiple fellowships together, then if you are the AM, you have to be delicate with how you handle things or you may lose more than that one slacker.

Myne

Oh Wise One
The last time I had to deal with something like this, there were acrimonious words. I would prefer to avoid that if at all possible. I just would like to know how others handle this. I don't care how many worlds they play in, as long as they contribute and interact.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
What is the rank of the slacker in your fellowship? If they are not a Mage, you could always have a private talk between AM and Mages and see how everyone else feels.

Myne

Oh Wise One
@Myne then the question is, is this player in your fellowship also in other fellowships with some of the other players in yours? If they have friendships with other players to the point they share multiple fellowships together, then if you are the AM, you have to be delicate with how you handle things or you may lose more than that one slacker.

They are not.

Moho

Chef
have you found that the number of cities they play interferes with how they contribute to your fellowship?
It depends on the person. I think you should find the right people, who are available and/or willing to contribute.

I don't think I can run a fellowship successfully but as a commoner I try to contribute as much as the others in every of the three worlds I play in.

Myne

Oh Wise One
It depends on the person. I think you should find the right people, who are available and/or willing to contribute.

I don't think I can run a fellowship successfully but as a commoner I try to contribute as much as the others in every of the three worlds I play in.

@Moho Somehow the term commoner doesn't fit you.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Simple. Don’t have rules if you don’t plan to enforce them. There is no point to have minimums and then not do anything about people who don’t meet them. If you pick and choose who you enforce on, you are playing favorites. If you don’t enforce at all, you send a msg to your players they are free to flaunt them. This will affect overall group culture in a degrading manner if you are trying to run a competitive group. You won’t be able to attract A-level talent when you have C-level talent skating by below bare minimum. They will simply chose to leave and play elsewhere. Players doing their mins will prob also build resentment towards the slackers so now you add an underlayer of disgruntled teammates bubbling under the surface. Either way, you create more problems for yourself. Of course, RL emergencies arise to allow for exceptions. I give my team transparency reports to let them know who in the group has stuff going on so the rest of the team knows why they may be under-performing certain weeks. I keep that as general or specific as appropriate to maintain sense of privacy to the party affected.

In the end, it all goes back to finding a fellowship that fits the playing style. If you are a casual FS, slackers will not be an issue. If you are a competitive FS, why are you clinging onto slackers? They are not the right fit. I play competitively so I recruit people with right attitude and don’t care about their chapter or rank. I’d rather have 15 players than a full squad of 25 if it means I need to carry 10 players that doesn’t fit our culture. I will privately send msgs to under-performers but I am not hesitant at all to drop kick. I played in FS where AM won’t do anything and everyone complained to me about it. Not repeating that experience on my own ship!

Myne

Oh Wise One
Simple. Don’t have rules if you don’t plan to enforce them. There is no point to have minimums and then not do anything about people who don’t meet them. If you pick and choose who you enforce on, you are playing favorites. If you don’t enforce at all, you send a msg to your players they are free to flaunt them. This will affect overall group culture in a degrading manner if you are trying to run a competitive group. You won’t be able to attract A-level talent when you have C-level talent skating by below bare minimum. They will simply chose to leave and play elsewhere. Players doing their mins will prob also build resentment towards the slackers so now you add an underlayer of disgruntled teammates bubbling under the surface. Either way, you create more problems for yourself. Of course, RL emergencies arise to allow for exceptions. I give my team transparency reports to let them know who in the group has stuff going on so the rest of the team knows why they may be under-performing certain weeks. I keep that as general or specific as appropriate to maintain sense of privacy to the party affected.

In the end, it all goes back to finding a fellowship that fits the playing style. If you are a casual FS, slackers will not be an issue. If you are a competitive FS, why are you clinging onto slackers? They are not the right fit. I play competitively so I recruit people with right attitude and don’t care about their chapter or rank. I’d rather have 15 players than a full squad of 25 if it means I need to carry 10 players that doesn’t fit our culture. I will privately send msgs to under-performers but I am not hesitant at all to drop kick. I played in FS where AM won’t do anything and everyone complained to me about it. Not repeating that experience on my own ship!

Oh I plan on taking action. Just was looking for some options as to how. I dislike drama in the fellowship. I agree that if nothing is done, there will be resentment from the ones who have stepped up.
Edit: It's a lousy 500 pts in tourney. I am about to believe that they don't believe I will can them.

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
Am I treated poorly because of multiple cities? Hmmm.
My main account has 6 cities over 3 servers. I AM two and mage in two. My alternate account has 4 cities, I mage in one. Yes I have been treated badly here and there, and I have been judged for failing to do more with the older cities, as well. If the leaders of a fellowship have only one city, they are going to be more strict with their rules. I guess that the important point is, to be clear about an activity level, and to find the right fellowship.

Dreamyn2

Buddy Fan Club member
I have several cities and have members in the fellowship where I am archmage that have several cities. No one has ever asked me to participate more or recommended I find a different fellowship

Where I’m the archmage we are not a competitive fellowship and members participate where they will. The only rules are to remain active and respect fellow members. No one has complained about others not pulling their weight. On the other hand, if one of the members goes inactive, but shows active in their other cities, I message them to see what’s going on. If no response and/or they remain inactive, they’re removed from the fellowship. I’ve been giving more than the 4 weeks stated in our overview due to a lot being sick with Covid.

In one of my more competitive fellowships the tournament is required. No play, no stay.

I also agree with crackie. If there are rules, enforce them. Message the members to see what’s up. If they don’t have a good reason or there is no change in their participation then remove them.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Oh I plan on taking action. Just was looking for some options as to how. I dislike drama in the fellowship. I agree that if nothing is done, there will be resentment from the ones who have stepped up.
Edit: It's a lousy 500 pts in tourney. I am about to believe that they don't believe I will can them.

Option 1: Find a fs better suited for them and have that fs AM invite them. Then, have the talk. They have a place to go AND the talk goes a bit easier. AND you and the other AM don't have to tell them you spoke.

Option 2: Keep raising the minimums a little every month or two. Encourage them to meet the minimum and if they struggle to do so, suggest that other fellowship. You may lose a few this way, but they will go in peace. I lost about 4 when I made the decision to start moving our minimums up. It was over six months so it wasn't a big drama thing for us.

Option 3: Kick them now and everybody who sympathizes with them! Oh, wait, that might lead to drama. Never-mind.

AJ