• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Please Rate

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
There's another thing being overlooked, I think: totally different play goals. For some players, the spire simply isn't relevant to the game as they play it. If you're not in a hurry, not trying to achieve in the tournament, and aren't worried about efficiency... what do you get from the spire? Maybe you enjoy the puzzle, but if not, why bother?

If you're only here to make a pretty city (or whatever you're doing that isn't performance-based) then you might simply not care about the spire. In that case, no amount of rewards, or education, or group pressure is likely to draw you to the top.

You hit the nail on the head :) I have not enjoyed the Spire from the beginning. I can battle to the top or I can negotiate to the top. If I battle to the top it is not in any way fun or worth the time & effort. I don't enjoy battling. If I negotiate to the top I don't see all that much net gain in diamonds after buying extra tries. Whatever small difference IMO is well worth spending a small amount of $ on diamonds attributable to the Spire to not do something I do not enjoy. I don't have any problem doing first 2 levels so that those in my FS who go for silver achieve those FS benefits.

Adding: Relevant to what I think was the original subject, I was also underwhelmed or disappointed in the individual prizes given the effort to climb to the top.

Last edited:

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
This discussion seems to be about motivation. Some players are motivated to get to the top, some not. Some of those who are, band together and start/create Gold Spire fellowships and those who do, sometimes want to be 10 chest, Top 10 FA and so on. The sorting out seems to be a bit random as the criteria for who gets in and who does not spills over to other "styles," and thus, it's all very convoluted.

The question we are discussing though, is not the number of Gold Spire fellowships, and who gets in and who does not. The question is if the proposed substitutions should be requested. One aspect of that question is if it will produce more Gold Spire fellowships, but that is only a small part of the overall question and can be answered easily enough. If more people do the third tier, it is likely that more Gold Spire fellowship will emerge. I don't believe there will be a lot more, but perhaps 2-3 since if the number of people doing the third tier increases the pool from which those desiring to be Gold Spire fellowships can draw capable and willing members, will grow. Having said that, does the proposal encourage players to complete the third tier? If better rewards are offered, it will. Will it be a significant increase? Probably not. But it will give more back to individual players who find the new rewards enough to encourage them to do the third tier when before they were "on the fence" about it, and thus, I believe it would be a good thing.

So even if you don't think the proposed changes will have a great effect, you should probably support it as it won't hurt and there is a chance it will help.

AJ

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Thats what I thought, you haven't been in a FS with me.... hehehe
Nice try Soggy , I give ya a B- for effort ....
I never claimed to have been in a FS with you. :oops:
Is the below what you are referring to?
I know that the first time I accidentally took one of your rip-off trades thinking that I was helping you out of a tight spot would irritate me very much. After that, it'd be back to tip-toeing and not being sure who needs help from us and who is just trying to take advantage of their neighbors.
If that's what you meant then I give you an F for reading comprehension on this one. The "would" and "it'd" - (short for "it would") are pretty clearly a prediction of what would happen if you were to join my gold spire FS without trade restrictions.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
If that's what you meant then I give you an F for reading comprehension on this one. The "would" and "it'd" - (short for "it would") are pretty clearly a prediction of what would happen if you were to join my gold spire FS without trade restrictions.

You assume that the trades he'd offer would be "rip off." To you, they might be, but you don't to take them, do you? So nobody gets "ripped off," do they? On the other hand, if I look at the trade and feel that, for my immediate or long term needs, the trade is not a "rip off" but something I want to take, why insult my intelligence by implying my taking the trade was foolish? I'm not against you labeling a trade a "rip off," but if you do so and give no reason for me to believe it, you are expecting me to agree with you based upon your emotional state. "SoggyShorts is irritated so he must be right and the trade was a "rip off?" So how about this, if you think a trade is a "rip off," give us your reasoning. Tell us why the particular trade was a bad one. Tell us why I, as the purchaser, miscalculated my needs and thus spent more than I needed? Was there a better deal at the time? What were my particular circumstances and how could I have done better? Then if you do that, I might actually not have to rely upon you emotions to decide if the trade was a "rip off" or not.

In the end your emotional state is reaction to my posted trades and nothing more. Your desire to keep the value of goods from fluctuating makes you comfortable, but it's just not realistic. In my opinion, not allowing the value of goods to fluctuate by insisting we all agree to the rigid star system, is, as far as I can tell, only driven by your irritation at trades with which you disagree and would never take. In other words, basing your evaluation of other's trading habits upon your emotinal state and insisting that everybody else follow your lead is a bit.....hmmmm..... well, I'll let you finish what it is. And it doesn't matter if you have 1,000 other who feel the same way. It's just emotion, not reasoned and evidence measured argument.

Finally, I'll tell you what. How about you and I agree to drop this subject. You stop calling people's trades various forms of "rip offs" and I'll stop having to step in and reveal the weakness of an argument based, apparently, only on your likes and dislikes. If you don't like my rebuttals, try not making the point I'm rebutting.

AJ

SoggyShorts

You're was correct .... contraction for you are , not your... as in a possesion....
Lets face it, spelling errors.... sry, Im a math person, not an english dude.
The second "you're"
" yea Soggy, you're right..... You're grammer/punctuation was so atrocious"
=
You are right <--- this is good
You are grammar <--- this is wrong

Normally I'd never correct someone's English, but you blaming your lack of reading comprehension on my grammar whilst making several mistakes of your own in the process was too good to pass up.

Aside from your misinterpretation of that portion of my post, do you at least now understand why players don't want your trades in their trader?

SoggyShorts

but they do, unles you sent each 1 of my neighbors a msg not to trade with me....
My fault for the lack of clarity this time:
"Do you understand why players like those in my fellowships don't want your undesirable trades cluttering up our FS trader?"
The trades on the world map have a super simple filter: 1-click and they all disappear, so even if you were right next to me I'd never see your bad trades.

Quick follow-up question: Have you considered everything that you have gained from your 1-star trades vs everything you have lost by not getting top-tier FS rewards in the spire/tournament? Has it turned out better for you?

Last edited:

SoggyShorts

@SoggyShorts and @BrinDarby you both wandered off the current discussion path and got lost in the forest somewhere, can you take the shortcut off to the left to get back with the rest of us?
I'll be honest, I've just been going through notifications and replying- I had forgotten the topic completely.
If I link all of the off topic posts could you move them?

helya

Beloved Ex-Team Member
I'll be honest, I've just been going through notifications and replying- I had forgotten the topic completely.
If I link all of the off topic posts could you move them?
I can, but start a thread for me to move them to. Although I also don't think it much matters if we return to the initial subject, which is the Spire prizes.

I suspect @OIM20 left a trail of sweets. You should run into the Gingerbread house soon.