• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Please tell me this gets easier.

DeletedUser61

your describing a cookie cutter game
Chess only has TWELVE different moves, and even the best of computers have to use heuristics to bound the decision tree.

If you don't have any constraints, you might as well just draw stick figures on a blank sheet of paper.

It's a mystery to me. Why would ANYBODY want to play a sandbox game, where you can do anything that you please??

DeletedUser4778

Complaining is not a strategy
instead of the few I see on these threads complaining about every little change.

I am always disappointed when I read blanket statements like these. Of course, it's entirely possible that someone has read ALL the comments that a certain someone else has written. Sorry, I really didn't want to point this out but statements like these are a trigger for me and I didn't want to report it either because I don't think it warrants such harsh action. I usually prefer to stay quiet instead of arguing because I think it's pointless.

To get back on topic, I would have to disagree that the battles are easier (in terms of both fighting and understanding the system) and I am exactly where I'm supposed to be (in Chapter V with 91 out of the 100 provinces required for the next chapter). Yes, I am winning most fights and even win a few without any losses but that's with a lot of study and I mostly pick the easier fights because of lack of troops. Even then, the losses are such that I cannot fight every fight -- again due to lack of troops (the faster barracks cannot compensate for all the deaths and the armories cannot power it for long so those are two more unbalanced things for me) -- and need to negotiate.

You do get more options when you advance, of course, and that does make it easier. However, since the current battle "system" has made each unit vulnerable to others, what you often see happening is lower-level unit types slaughtering the troops you worked so hard to gain because they have sheer numbers and the "higher-level" unit's damage and hp is actually much less than theirs because of their fewer numbers caused by their unit weight. It's particularly hard on younger players who have a very limited selection and have to face a wide variety of enemy types (even though the current steinling deals more damage than the older one, I still hate those nasty far-reaching cannoneers). Due to the new "system", I believe the devs should give starting players the choice to research all unit types early in the game, like Chapter I early.

I used to see a few two-squad fights before and they were a welcome relief. Now I see only 4-squad to 8-squad fights where the numbers jump from the hundreds to thousands within one province alone. Many of the encounters that I'm facing within a province have 6 to 8 squads. It looks like we'll never be given the ability to have more squads. Some have even said that it's okay if the troop numbers stay the same as long as we are given the ability to arrange our troops better but the response was a negative.

I could go on but, in short, I've just resigned myself to the fact that the fights will mostly be stacked against me. Hopefully things will get better but I won't hold my breath.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser2963

I really like the updates, most people on the forum know that by now. I think the battle pentagon is wonderful!!!!!!! So easy to understand. I am enjoying the progressive battle system and having a blast in all my open rings (even when I get my head handed to me).

Allot of players are complaining non stop about the new update, they cant win, its unbalanced, it needs to be fixed. Most of the players who are making this complaint are not able to even try the new update out. They are stuck out in the back forty facing enemy squad sizes that are 5 to 10 times larger than they are. THEY CANT FIGHT! But instead of attacking the line inno drew they are attacking the entire battle update. And they are attacking everyone in this forum who is enjoying the new update and says so.

The game as designed now has become much more challenging than before. For new players, it is especially important to give advice on how to play the game

She is correct. the OP came in for info and he should be able to get it without getting buried by people complaining about the line. He wants info about the game, as it is now. Not as it was a year ago or a month ago.

DeletedUser4778

I'm glad the battle pentagon works for you, @Iyapo, as I've seen it work for others. Too bad I'm not one of them. Actually, I do agree it's easier to understand for some, it's the heavier losses that I'm suffering that are biasing me against it so it's not the pentagon itself that is my issue. However, I have seen quite a number of players who are where they are supposed to be and can't win fights but that's the challenge -- getting the know-how and improving their strategy skills so they can progress. I just don't like it that I'm not progressing as quickly as before but I understand this is the way Inno wants it so I just have to (not grin) and bear it (or play something else). Hehe.

DeletedUser2963

@Draconomicon
I have seen quite a number of players who are where they are supposed to be and can't win fights but that's the challenge
Yes, exactly! Me too, most of them seem to be hitting a massive wall in chapter 2/3 ring 4. I started a new city just so I could get into that ring and see what was going on in it, currently in ch2/ring3. Several other players are also doing this to try and figure out the issue so Inno can fix it. The OP in this thread is at that wall, he is right where he should be, but something was wrong with the update, the balance is off there, too many players are hitting a wall.

My point, the OP is not having the same issue as a player in the back 40. I am not saying that players in the back 40 are wrong to be unhappy and boycotting, just saying his issue is a balancing issue that inno needs to fix. Their issue is a result of a choice inno made that they want inno to change.

DeletedUser3696

I did not describe a cookie-cutter game. You can scout as many provinces as you want, but you will only be able to negotiate them. Play the game how you would like to, nobody has taken that away from you. You have to come up with your own strategy on how to play the game. Complaining is not a strategy :)

The game as designed now has become much more challenging than before. For new players, it is especially important to give advice on how to play the game instead of the few I see on these threads complaining about every little change.
That is your opinion and not held by the majority of those who post here and by the number of players quitting the game I'd dare say not the majority of the players overall.
Many players thought the battle system was challenging before and some thought it was about right and some probably thought it was easy. The battle system didn't need re-tooling, but they spent a lot of dev hours doing it anyway. The scouting ahead was the issue.

DeletedUser2870

@kayleegrrl
I have to disagree, your statement just isn't correct.
You CANNOT play the game the way you wish anymore. Yes, you can scout (though if you're not yet in the orc chapter you cannot scout as far as you like because you cannot get past the ring 11 requirement of orcs, so you cannot scout ring 12) but you cannot fight the battles if you are beyond what Inno suddenly decided whre you should be.
Nor can you negotiate them because of the orc-requirement.

Strategy is all great, but even with masterfull strategy there just is no way to win battles where you are outnumbered more than 2:1, except perhaps with a very favorable terrain and a lot of luck, but that will be a very rare exception.

As player you are now bound to stay within a certain reach that Inno approved of, only past the orc chapter is one free to negotiate further.

DeletedUser4355

its dosnt get easier , I am right in the med of chapter three & moving townrds the chapter four but victory is stilll far away from my approach

DeletedUser4778

Strategy is all great, but even with masterfull strategy there just is no way to win battles where you are outnumbered more than 2:1, except perhaps with a very favorable terrain and a lot of luck, but that will be a very rare exception.

I definitely agree. Not all the strategy in the world can save you from being horribly outnumbered with awful terrain.

DeletedUser4576

@kayleegrrl
I have to disagree, your statement just isn't correct.
You CANNOT play the game the way you wish anymore. Yes, you can scout (though if you're not yet in the orc chapter you cannot scout as far as you like because you cannot get past the ring 11 requirement of orcs, so you cannot scout ring 12) but you cannot fight the battles if you are beyond what Inno suddenly decided whre you should be.
Nor can you negotiate them because of the orc-requirement.

As player you are now bound to stay within a certain reach that Inno approved of, only past the orc chapter is one free to negotiate further.
Can you explain the "orc requirement" a little more? I'm in chapter five and have paid no attention at all to what rings I am exploring. I've been exploring toward players I want to make neighbors. It must be that all the battles take on the difficulty of your highest explored ring because overnight with the new system, I no longer can win any at all. Even in ring 4 or 5. So I gave up on fighting and just negotiate my way along. I think you are saying there is a dead end for that plan? If so, there's no reason to waste any more time here, I need to find a new game. So please clarify the orc requirement.

DeletedUser4671

When you go into an encounter for a province, the ranking points you get are also the ring number that province is on. Once you hit ring#11 you will be faced with a new cost to negotiate which is Orcs. To produce Orcs, you need to have at least one level 20 Armory which can be unlocked in chapter 8 of your tech tree.

DeletedUser4576

draugen, there seems to be a serious problem in chapter two/three with the upgrade.Please post specific info to the battle forum. Things they will want to know, what chapter are you in, what is the squad number and size? How many provinces have you beaten? What ring are these fight in?stuff like that.

Just so you know, stop scouting, now! you only need 10 provinces to get out of your chapter, any thing you scout now will have higher numbers of enemies than things you scout after you research the scout tech into chapter 2[

You are saying if this player scouts the 11th province while still in Chap 1 it will have more enemies than if they scout it after getting to chapter 2. Most posts here say the act of opening the Chap 2 Treasure Chest causes the battles to get harder, not easier. Can you explain why you think there will be fewer enemies after getting into chapter two?

When you go into an encounter for a province, the ranking points you get are also the ring number that province is on. Once you hit ring#11 you will be faced with a new cost to negotiate which is Orcs. To produce Orcs, you need to have at least one level 20 Armory which can be unlocked in chapter 8 of your tech tree.

Thanks for that info. Can you assure me there is no reason I cannot play this game to it's end without doing any more battles? The recent changes have made the battles not worth the trouble to me. In addition I am very angry at the way they were implemented under the guise of making them more fun and easier when in fact they are less fun and only available under certain limited conditions. If I am forced to participate in the battle plan to play the entire game, I want to know asap so I don't waste any more time here. On an unrelated topic, I'm a good customer I think. I spend $50 - $100 a month on whatever game I play. Surprising that a company that creates such beautiful games manages their customer relations so badly.

DeletedUser4671

You can negotiate until ring 11. But once you are in chapter 8, you can continue to negotiate past ring 11. You do not have to fight in this game if you do not want to. Just keep in mind that some declinable quests will come up with a task of fighting, but you can decline those quests and it will not affect your gameplay.