• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Poll: Set Buildings

Pheryll

Set Designer
We have seen many different events offering set buildings, that I would like to know which style people tend to prefer. Do you want no set buildings in events? Do you want to see set buildings appear only once in the dailies? Do you want multiple offerings in the daily prizes? Do you want more than one set? Listed in this poll are all the styles that Elvenar has tried. Which do you prefer?

edeba

They could have been designed better, with a "link" and "unlink." I think with a link idea they could have just counted how many buildings in the set for the bonuses rather than this touching thing. And if they linked them, they could be moved as a set without this over aggressive use of pop-ups.

DeletedUser19542

They could have been designed better, with a "link" and "unlink." I think with a link idea they could have just counted how many buildings in the set for the bonuses rather than this touching thing. And if they linked them, they could be moved as a set without this over aggressive use of pop-ups.
I agree. It's super inconvenient and aggressive to insist that set buildings be physically linked, rather than having a set count calculation for the bonuses. Also, there's only one Main Hall, so the insistence of using this building as an anchor for all sets is highly inefficient and non-sustainable unless they intend not to introduce sets any more.

DeletedUser17455

I like the set buildings. They are like having one big building that you can kind of manipulate to fit in better. In addition, if you have the whole day set it produces quite a lot of goods. In my city I could, if I wanted to, replace my 3 steel manufactories with the day set and end up producing _more_ steel than I already am (bearing in mind that I trade for my non-boosted goods). I would also be up 1500 population and 600 culture, which I could spend on my highest tier manufactories.

From a game design perspective, constraints are interesting. It is also inconvenient and aggressive to insist that some buildings need to be connected to roads, and that roads be connected to the main hall. If we removed that rule then all cities would be inconsistent ugly blobs. Constraints mean we have to think about how to structure our cities to be most efficient (and, optionally, most elegant).

Here's my city: http://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/d8595cb9c43242659f8ef7d9ba1ffb14/

Notice the L shape, with the corners being hubs for sets (the top left is my woodelvenstock set, and the top right is my harvest set). Because the shape of my city is a big line, I only need 1 road. It starts at my main hall in the bottom left, and then wraps all the way around. I hang buildings off of it, and behind those buildings I put culture. I'm currently working on a little spot in the elbow where guest races will live, so that they don't crowd the streets (at the moment a huge number of my street segments are useless because of the dwarves).

Constraints are beautiful! This is my opinion.

@jps54 yeah if culture is what you want, then this set is maybe not the best. Were there any buildings in this event that were good for you?

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
I picked the 2 sets option, as I like the variety & figuring out different ways to use them. I play 2 cities and chose set one as a goal for my small city and part of set 2 for my second city (& hoping I get a bunch of Kiriks!) The last set before this event I was interested in was the Winter set event. I have some of the GP's that were set buildings in events since then still sitting in my inventory. Those events, I went for other types of prizes, and the set buildings just weren't what I needed at the time.
My largest city just entered Halflings. I may change my mind once I reach what sound like huge space hog guest races in Elementals and Amuni, lol!

kctanzen

24 hour timers don't suit my play style well, one of many reasons I dislike sets.
When / if the restoration spell goes active, that may change my outlook on some of these long term.
I am gunning for the night set and hope to get at least 2 karak shrines (whichever one hasn't shown up yet).
With that, I think the linkage works out for 4 a piece on those, making a really nice mana windfall.

HJK84

My vote was; no.

I enjoyed the Winter set. And I do love the design, the goods, kp, shards, etc. they can give. But I don't think they replace Manus at all.
But they take up a tad to much room Imo.

Also, as long as they offer a building that has a chance to give :diamond:, I will void everything else and just aim for hoarding that 1 building ;)

DeletedUser3507

My view of set-buildings
Egypt-Cat-cover-1.png

DeletedUser9601

I'm fine with sets, especially since they're now somewhat useful with the increase in goods.
I prefer 1 set to 2, but I'm fine if the structure is currently: set 1 is for "free" and set 2 "will require paying." I just can't deal with the whiner threads about how unlucky people got on their rolls.
I also prefer no repeats, if only because it makes the game easier on developers (since they don't have to worry about a Mana Fountain repeat of the first set), and then its easier for us in predicting the prizes knowing that no repeats are coming.

DeletedUser3122

Sets are the annoying way to use up crud-tons of land by fooling players into thinking they're separate buildings that are smaller. The footprint for those buildings is ridiculously large, especially for lower ranked players. A waste of land. But I'm sure the intent is to get people to buy land for buildings that really don't do a whole lot for one's city except in appearance possibly.

DeletedUser9601

Sets are the annoying way to use up crud-tons of land by fooling players into thinking they're separate buildings that are smaller. The footprint for those buildings is ridiculously large, especially for lower ranked players. A waste of land. But I'm sure the intent is to get people to buy land for buildings that really don't do a whole lot for one's city except in appearance possibly.
This is why I'm also not sympathetic when people in Chapter 3 complain that they can't complete the questline in events. Even if you could, do you have room for a 6-piece set, plus 4-5 other daily buildings? No...

DeletedUser8946

Winter set was the only one I got. I missed literally every Set building I tried for, and today am straining to even get Fields of Gold. So yeah, not a huge fan of Sets especially in the context of missing them when you bother trying for 'em.

DeletedUser5806

For the first time, I will get all 3 grand prizes. But I have not been able to get any other of the "sets". I have partial sets from the prior events. I would be more interested if: 1 you could obtain the others on more than one day & 2 - if you could upgrade them like the magic residences - (yes, coming soon). They are hard to plan around, Ive had to sell of pieces to make room for guest race buildings.

I just got lucky on the double flares as I was wanting the time instants.

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
@Ajanabe Every building that produces anything must be connected to the Main Hall, whether they are a set building or not.

Nope. For the set buildings only one of the set has to be connected to the road / Main Hall. That is one of the advantages.

I put out my sets from this event today and I like them. I also like having 2 sets. I'm thinking they take up as much room as the prior sets but I'm all for the flexibility to move 1 of the sets without moving the other one if I need to for FA or another event. I'm hoping that works out so I don't have to bulldoze them as quickly as some other recent bigger sets.

DeletedUser17667

Nope. For the set buildings only one of the set has to be connected to the road / Main Hall. That is one of the advantages.

I'm aware of that. ;) The statement to which I was replying is this:

Also, there's only one Main Hall, so the insistence of using this building as an anchor for all sets is highly inefficient and non-sustainable unless they intend not to introduce sets any more.

Do you see what I meant?