• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

population issue for newbie

pwmarsh

I was upgrading buildings and all of a sudden i went down to 3 in population. I have no room to upgrade my houses any further and am unable to complete any of the quests listed so appear to be stuck. Suggestions on best way to get out of this situation?

Deleted User - 1599294

I took a quick look at your city and looks like you have built all the factory types. This is very inefficient, you only need the factory in which you are boosted (marble). My advice, sell the non-boosted factories, regain the population invested in them. Concentrate on your boosted goods to trade for the other two.

NightshadeCS

It looks to me like you have room to build a few more extra residences, also. You can always sell them later once you get your balance back.

If you let us know what quest you are stuck on, we may be able to help with that also.

I agree with the above post, you really only need your boosted manufactories.

DeletedUser2768

I got bored and did some tinkering in your city on ElvenArchitect. This layout is an idea only. If you like it, great. If not, you're not going to hurt my feelings.

If you don't choose to use this, here are some suggestions I'd strongly encourage you to thing about:

1. Upgrade your culture. Your Luminous Signposts give 21 culture. They're great for just starting out, but not so much in Chapter 3. Spot of Whispering Trees give 400 culture in a 4x3 foot print, or 33.333 culture per square.

2. Upgrade your roads. By upgrading your roads to Simple trails your culture goes from 452 to 1,732.

3. Ditch your non boosted factories, as mentioned above. Doing that will give you 669 more population. (your boosts are marble, silk, gems)

4. Find a new layout that you like. Put the short ends of buildings on the road, and use both sides of the road.

5. Ditch the magical residence and culture. You've outgrown them. If you have the money to upgrade them, you can do so. I really don't think they're worth it though.

I hope this helps.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
5. Ditch the magical residence and culture. You've outgrown them. If you have the money to upgrade them, you can do so. I really don't think they're worth it though.

I hope this helps.

That one will probably be the most painful, but I agree with you. Getting sucked into an early magic building and then not having the money to upgrade makes it worth very little. Still, you hate to throw away things you paid diamonds for ... at least I do. In any case, I agree with everything above ... especially getting rid of the nonboosted factories. Just build up your boosteds and if you give a 5 percent discount when you sell in the trader (for example, selling 100 marble in exchange for 95 planks) you'll always have 3 star trades and you should never be without your nonboosted goods. And if you get 95 planks in exchange for 100 marble, you'll be earning a heck of a lot more planks than if you try to make them yourself. I have given a 5 percent discount since I started and it's always kept me in a good supply of everything (except for tourney push weeks, but that's another story). My neighbors seem to snap up my offers.

KarlD

I got bored and did some tinkering in your city on ElvenArchitect. This layout is an idea only. If you like it, great. If not, you're not going to hurt my feelings.

If you don't choose to use this, here are some suggestions I'd strongly encourage you to thing about:

1. Upgrade your culture. Your Luminous Signposts give 21 culture. They're great for just starting out, but not so much in Chapter 3. Spot of Whispering Trees give 400 culture in a 4x3 foot print, or 33.333 culture per square.

2. Upgrade your roads. By upgrading your roads to Simple trails your culture goes from 452 to 1,732.

3. Ditch your non boosted factories, as mentioned above. Doing that will give you 669 more population. (your boosts are marble, silk, gems)

4. Find a new layout that you like. Put the short ends of buildings on the road, and use both sides of the road.

I hope this helps.
I'm a bit confused why you left the Anchor Point (170 cult or 56,666/sq) and a level 7 house off the layout. Are you recommending selling them?

DeletedUser2768

I'm a bit confused why you left the Anchor Point (170 cult or 56,666/sq) and a level 7 house off the layout. Are you recommending selling them?

Optional whether to keep them or not. The stuff at the top, I'd get rid of, but those two are optional.

pwmarsh

I hope this helps
thanks for the info. i can't believe the difference the layout can make. I broke down and got rid of all the non-boosted goods factorys. Only aggrevation is that certain goods are limited in availability especially planks. Unsure why, I'm looking at fellowships that should help. I will work on the layout next.

KarlD

thanks for the info. i can't believe the difference the layout can make. I broke down and got rid of all the non-boosted goods factorys. Only aggrevation is that certain goods are limited in availability especially planks. Unsure why, I'm looking at fellowships that should help. I will work on the layout next.
No matter how bad the trading is or how scarce some good is, it's always going to be better to only make your boosted goods. You can easily offer a 1.5:1 trade of your boosted for planks and it will likely go quickly as it will be at the top of the trader and a great deal and you will still be ahead compared to making planks with a non-boosted factory.

DeletedUser2768

I don't know HOW many times I've complained about not having enough _____ and a more experienced player comes along, rearranges my city another way, and shows me just how much _____ I really do have. Sometimes I really enjoy playing City Tetris. Sometimes I don't. :) I hope you find the right layout for your city.