• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Population ???

Angelita Moon

What is the best way to increase your population?? I recently made an error and sold a Cultural building which put my population into a negative balance. I sold almost all of my workshops which got me out of the negative population but I am fighting a back and forth battle now. Any suggestions? Still fairly new to the game and not sure of the best strategy for keeping this in balance. Thanks for any help offered.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
@Angelita Moon Whenever possible upgrade your residences. They will provide more population per square with every upgrade and will also give you more gold. In fact, early in the game residence upgrades pay themselves off fairly quickly because of the increased gold production. Once you get around to building ancient wonders, Golden Abyss is really good. It provides large amounts of gold and a significant amount of population. In fact, it is the single most space efficient means of creating population in the game once you upgrade it a little.

Iyapo1

I feel like I am going to get yelled at for this:

Add more houses or fully upgrade your houses. For wonders the Golden Abyss is excellent, but not worth the space it sits on till it is around level 9ish.

Chriger

It has been months since I was in the early chapters, but I remember GA being as good as or better than my best normal residences in terms of population as soon as I built it. With only a few upgrades it was much better.
I think the GA at level 1 isn't that good until around chapter 5-6.

Other than upgrading residences, another option would be getting pop/culture buildings from events. Though if you get event buildings, you'll need to upgrade or replace them every couple chapters.

Iyapo1

Elf in chapter 4, I wont get another house upgrade until chapter 6, At level 9 the population boost of the ga is greater than that of a fully upgraded house.
Prior to that it is unfortunately less valuable than a house. Maybe your working population was a great deal higher than mine. Or perhaps it is a human city thing?

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
Were you unable to find your original thread about this issue? There's some good info in the responses to you there. Here's a link: Fix negative population
I agree with @Iyapo1 and @Chriger regarding the value of the Abyss population in early chapters. It's somewhere around Ch5-6 that a GA will give more pop/square than a residence. That said, I built it in both my cities before it was efficient and didn't regret it since I used the info I learned about building efficiently to make up for the space elsewhere and I wanted a kp sink for tech lock. I could never make the Tome of Secrets work with my playstyle (don't ask, I'm weird, lol!) but it really is a better early chapter AW.
Early chapters, the Tome of Secrets can replace a workshop, doesn't take pop/culture, and never changes size. That would help with your supplies issue @Angelita Moon. Late game, when it takes days to complete scouting a province, it's less useful (you get the supplies when a scout finishes). Upgrading houses and/or placing other event culture/pop buildings is about your only option right now unless you're willing to go with a boosted only factory build (that I would highly recommend, but many early chapter players resist that). I'm not sure how practical it would be for you this early in the game, but there are also some 1x1 and 2x1 buildings available in crafting that give pop and culture. They don't need a road and can be fit in easier than larger bldgs, but getting the CC's and fragments to craft them may be a challenge at your level. I can't remember how far I was when crafting was introduced, but it was not early chapters, so I just don't know, sorry.

BrinDarby

@Angelita Moon ,
If you are CH3 or higher, get fragments/catalysts from Spire, and craft a few Codex's,
Lava (2x2) is best I think, that should equalize your current culture prob.

Event bldgs that give pop & culture, will help alot.... along with crafted bldgs from MA
such as unicorns/cages that give pop/culture also.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
Elf in chapter 4, I wont get another house upgrade until chapter 6, At level 9 the population boost of the ga is greater than that of a fully upgraded house.
Prior to that it is unfortunately less valuable than a house. Maybe your working population was a great deal higher than mine. Or perhaps it is a human city thing?
It is quite possible I had more working population. I was very aggressive going after expansions early in the game. I rather severely overscouted in chapters 3 and 4 to get enough provinces for extra province expansions. And I spent diamonds on 2 premium expansions before using them on anything else like a 3rd builder or upgrading the Magic Academy. So my city at the time was probably fairly large compared to other chapter 3 and 4 cities. And I kept all of my residences, workshops, and manufactories fully upgraded.

Iamaita

I’m in chapter 5 and love the golden abyss. Mine is only level 6, but it is providing 607 people, while my level 15 residences provide 420. Since it is a function of working population, its efficiency really depends on how many people you have employed. It doesn’t look like this is an option for the OP right now though.

Until you get to chapter 3, crafting is impossible unless you spend diamonds to do it or disenchant the event buildings if you have them. I would not recommend this for an early chapter player and will agree with everyone else that these are an excellent source of population and culture.

@Angelita Moon, after looking at your city I would highly recommend trying to get today’s exclusive in the event if you have keys to spend. This will give you an instant population boost. You could put it where you have your whispering trees now if you don’t have a 3x3 space to place it. I would also recommend upgrading the lower level residences first because the upgrades are cheaper and faster if you are looking for population right away. You could also consider slowing down a little on tier two goods production. Maybe just start with building your boosted tier 2 and try to get the others via trading or from your traveling merchants. (If you start to really need space, I would consider letting those traveling merchants go.) I would plan to make some space and save some population to make more tier one good manufactories. In chapter 3 and 4, I noticed that I needed way more tier 1 than I had and never used as much of my tier 2 as I had. I would echo @samidodamage and advise you to stop building/upgrading tier 1 nonboosted as soon as you are comfortable doing so. Once you get your trading community built up and your boost percentage up, it just doesn’t make good use of space/culture/population to try to make all three goods in each tier. I was able to let mine go in chapter 3. When you can comfortably build only boosted will depend on how active your fellowship and map area are. You aren’t doing anything wrong, though. This game is a constant challenge of balancing everything, and there are some spots in the game where it’s especially hard. Just be patient. You will find a formula that works for you and the way you want to play. :)

Angelita Moon

Wow Thanks so much for the help and advice. So kind of you to take the time to look it over. I am trying to get more on track now that I know more about the game. I just sort of jumped in and used trial and error but this game definitely requires more strategy than I first thought. So thanks again. I really do appreciate the help.:)