• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Premium Expansion Cost

DeletedUser

I apologize if this has already been asked. I am doing my best not to spend any money on Elvenar. I have come to a point in the game where I need more room to grow. I want to buy the Premium Expansion for 450 diamonds. Is that a "one time" cost or is it 450 diamonds for each expansion? I have a hard time justifying the cost if it is 450 diamonds for each expansion. Thank you for your help.

DeletedUser1201

each expansion cost will increase, the higher the level your main hall is, the more expansions you can purchase. can you say ka-ching. there is a limit on the amount of premium expansions you can purchase tho.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser2212

I found that out. The premium expansion jumped from 800 to 1000 when I went to level 12 Main House. Had I known that the cost increased so dramatically I would have got the expansions. But, now have 4 premiums expanse available and are taking making a double look at continuing. It's getting expense to expand the realm. Now, I have to count on the City Expansions that research gives me. It's less cost.

DeletedUser2424

Once you get to the point where you can buy the "Fountain of Youth" cultural building... it's 700 or 800 diamonds for a 3x3 culture building but also adds 700 population. So, when you consider the fact that 4x3 humans lvl 15 residence is only 560... it saves you squares and gives you culture.

Considering most space is used on residences... it's a cheaper option than buying a space expansion... gives you the population immediately and bonus you get culture.

DeletedUser61

Considering most space is used on residences... it's a cheaper option than buying a space expansion... gives you the population immediately and bonus you get culture.
That works fine until you need the coins for scouting more sectors.

Jackluyt

Platinum Leaf -FB
Once you get to the point where you can buy the "Fountain of Youth" cultural building... it's 700 or 800 diamonds for a 3x3 culture building but also adds 700 population. So, when you consider the fact that 4x3 humans lvl 15 residence is only 560... it saves you squares and gives you culture.

There is an analysis I did in my Facebook group (Elvenar Platinum Leaf) comparing 'Hybrid' buildings (that give pop + culture combined) with using the same number of squares to buy some pop buildings and some culture buildings, separately.
It is Tip # 66.
Most 'hybrid' buildings are poor buys.
There ARE exceptions, particularly high up the Tech tree - like Snail Palaces which, at $25 a pop, give 2.5 times more pop/culture per block.
But if your Daddy doesn't own a credit card company - particularly for lower level players - don't buy buildings for diamonds!
Why?
Because as you progress in the game, bigger and better buildings are unlocked - and in a month or two you will be left holding a lot of worthless expensive tiddlywink buildings that you will have to discard.

So what I tell my 'noobs' is, if you want to use Diamonds to advance your game:
1. Buy extra builders. They do not lose their value as time goes by. They are the best diamond buy; they speed up your game and make it more exciting!
2. Buy city expansions - for the same reason. You get 25 extra blocks in your city that never lose value - if the buildings you place on them get old and tacky and obsolete, you can sell them - but you do not lose the expansion...

:)

DeletedUser2424

Guys,

I agree with Jackluyt's point at the bottom... Builders and City expansions are great uses of diamonds. But, I think the merits of the Fountain of Youth is better than you're giving it credit for. It's a good buy no matter how you slice it.

If we think of it as purely a cultural building, the 700 for a 4x3 is not bad even until later in the game (more on this below). As a residence producing building, it NEVER becomes obsolete.

Population / Square:
In terms of population density... it's roughly equivalent to a level 17 (Dwarven Human) Residence.
LVL 17 Residence = 580 population (5x2 = 10 squares) == 58 pop/square
Fountain of Youth = 700 / 12 = 58.33 per square.

But, lets not forget that a LVL 17 Residence also costs culture of 196 culture.
(Technically higher... since a lvl 17 doesn't even produce 700 population...)

This brings the total effective culture of the building to about 700+196 = 996 / 12 = 83/square.
That beats out even the Central Place at 70/square and that this in massive!

But, This is a HYBRID Building

Since it's a hybrid building we should really be thinking of half the squares of this 4x3 are for population generation and 50% are for culture generation....

Applying this... it produces at least 996 / 6 = 166 culture/square.
And 700/6 = 116 population/square.

And those numbers are never obsolete! (I think)

Other Benefits

Additionally, this type of efficiency early in the game allows you to build more manufactories which produces more goods longer which allows you to do well... anything sooner and faster... and those results compound over time. This is incredibly valuable given that this is one of the biggest reasons people quit. Not to mention the fact that in order to build a level 17 residence you have to dedicate a builder for 1 full week!

It becomes obsolete logic

And finally, the logic of things eventually becoming obsolete... I feel this logic is somewhat flawed. You could say the same thing in theory for city expansions... As you climb the tech tree or open up more provinces... they will at some point become obsolete (since there is a max city size).

Cons:
- The point about it not generating coins is valid... but coins are easy to come by.. Visit a couple people instead... space is something you can't spend an extra 5 minutes on and improve.

DeletedUser627

Fountain of Youth / Fertility Goddess purchases may not be smart for the long term player. I would know...having bought too many for sanity.

Take a look at LordBrian on the Arendyll server for the best example of a paying player who avoided the Goddess/ Fountain trap and substituted a better solution (Gatekeeper culture - a premium- combined with Residences). The thing to remember about residences is that they'll always be available for upgrades! Also, they add to score.

There are other example to check out for alternate playing styles. On Arendyll: Monomachus at #30 purchased expansions but no premium buildings. BobbyKitty at #63 hasn't purchased anything.

As a new player, the game it set up so that it's pretty well impossible to catch up with the leaders - so I'd suggest that the only real enticement for spending $ is to make yourself happy. There's a pretty small advantage to premium buildings, since they always become less and less valuable. Expansions increase in value, since the items you build on them have increasing value in your city.

EDIT

I'd particularly recommend that you check out Edmund5719 at #13 on Arendyll for the best no-premium example. He's currently scoring 124k - and still has 100 grid spaces to fill once the Fairy Research is finished. It's a brilliant use of space.

DeletedUser1122

There are other example to check out for alternate playing styles. On Arendyll:
I haven't been able to find a human example for a non paying city layout. The paying ones do not appear to have an efficient layout.

DeletedUser627

I haven't been able to find a human example for a non paying city layout. The paying ones do not appear to have an efficient layout.

...I should probably clarify my comments - I don't know human cities well enough to evaluate. My impression? is that there's less room for manipulation, though.