• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Price in the Eye of the Markets

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
@Steelhail I do know how to use Elvenstats & I also know how to look at a city on either world. I was referring to your 1M on Sinya compared to my 1.5M on Elcy and you mentioned ranking 40 so I mentioned ranking 4. Feel free to feel misty eyed if that is your thing. You brought it up for whatever reason. So again, not a good idea joining a forum and instantly going on the offensive. Definitely the wrong place to impress long time members with ranking. If you stick around long enough to know the folks here tend to think the ranking system is obsolete and has little meaning. We would be in the same boat on that subject. ;)

FYI I’m thinking if you continue being rude toward Shimmerfly you will continue to alienate the many members who respect & care about our core people. Please stop going there.

Last edited:

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
I don't want anyone to leave the forums, and I hope my posts were not confrontational. All I want is to learn, to pass on that learning whenever I can, and to see everyone grow to love this game even more. Peace to all posters here.

(But in truth, I am far too liberal not to detest Ayn Rand ... sue me, lol.)

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
(But in truth, I am far too liberal not to detest Ayn Rand ... sue me, lol.)

Not liberal at all here and she does conflict with some of my beliefs but loved her books. My favorite is We The Living. Great Russian story! Seemed odd to me Atlas Shrugged is the only not so good movie. So long and too slow at times. Kind of like this lovely game that they inserted speed bumps to slow us down. I really don’t enjoy trudging through anything.

AtaguS

But my big point is that I've seen several unkind responses (_not_ everyone here) to Desire's 2nd post that does not encourage new Elvenar players to stick with the game or join the community--it is unwelcoming if they are the newcomer posting, or if they are other silent readers seeing this is how a newcomer might be treated if they accidentally step in the hornet's nest.
Stepping into the hornet's nest here..*clears throat* ...@Steelhail makes a valid point with this statement. There are ways to disagree with an OP and then there are ways to run them off. And at times, any forum can see a spike in offensive and/or defensive squabbles, etc. But it does seem like a pile-on followed, intended or not. A silent witness to this may indeed be less likely to venture in with an idea or an opinion or even an introduction post.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Did you even read what you quoted? As I said specifically, that works fine for specific individual trades, but not across your entire stockpile on a day-to-day basis. Most people who have a million of something and make a 5% return on 100,000 of it a few times a week do not consider themselves to have made a 5% profit, and are not going to be able to sustain a living off it.

To repeat (what you even quoted): "A person would have to be both dedicated and lucky to make 5% of their entire stock on a good day, let alone over the long haul. There is zero capacity to support even one city with trading profit."

You're arguing something I never posited. Individual profit is fairly simple. The notion that someone can use the trader to support themselves (as in an open market) is ridiculous.

Sorry if I misunderstood you by not reading your post carefully enough. Sometimes I don't and that is on me. And, as I suspected and tried, unsuccessfully, to say, I don't count on supporting my whole city on trading profit but do argue that I can or exceed the production of one mfr through trading. That's what my post said and I'm pretty sure it was clear enough. In any case, profit is profit and who is to argue with that? If you think it's not worth your time and the profit you get in your trades is "insignificant," that is, as I pointed out, a preference, not an absolute statement of the value of trading for profit. In fact, since value resides not in the object but in the one valuing, we may have quite different values for the ACT of trading at a profit. It might be well to consider such value statements and qualifying them with something like: "from my perspective," or "for a player like me," rather than the implied blanket judgment of "insignificant." Just a thought, and again, I am sorry if I miss-read your post. It's not the first time I've done so, nor will it be, sadly, the last.

AJ

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
If you think it's not worth your time and the profit you get in your trades is "insignificant," that is, as I pointed out, a preference, not an absolute statement of the value of trading for profit.
In a vacuum, I 100% support what you are saying. In the context of a discussion about the Elvenar market being an "open market" the potential for trade profit is insignificant. You can probably equal the output of a factory several times a year by trade profit. Maybe even several times a month. If you are extraordinarily diligent and lucky, a couple of times a week. If Elvenar had an open market, people could support their city's activities entirely by trading, averaged across an entire year. That is not possible in the market we actually have. (setting aside pushing)

DeletedUser22644

Reality is, there are a few truly explosive topics in the game and fair trading and push cities are two of them. So when an new or unknown poster starts off by firing a flaming arrow at a topic like fair trading, I am not surprised that the post gets a quick quenching by other members. Does this mean that some get smothered in error. Maybe, but I have seen most are justified in the response.

This case I feel is justified and feel it is time to put it to bed and let this thread die.

Steelhail

feel it is time to put it to bed and let this thread die.

Agreed. I went in wanting to talk about More’s Utopia and encourage civility. Now people think I'm a a troll, 1-star trader, or make dummy accounts, so that obviously failed miserably. Here can be the thread’s funeral elegy (set to the tune of Frozen’s “Let it Go").

Let it die, let it die
Just put the thing to bed
Let it die, let it die
Let’s let the thread be dead
There are better ways to spend our day
Let the rage be gone
The trolls never bothered me anyway

SoulsSilhouette

Buddy Fan Club member
Desire2c,

This isn't like BDO, you don't really have the ability to 'set a market price'. That is set by the stars and the game itself. We don't have an open trader. The only exploitation you can perpetrate is the zero star trade. I don't accept trades under 2 stars. When I am desperate, I put out three star trades to entice people who are outside of their discovered territories.

If you want to make more on a trade, you can always set up a special arrangement with a player to give you knowledge points along with the accepted trade, but since this isn't part of the game, you have to trust that they will donate those KP's to your ancient wonders.

It's just a part of this particular game. I understand what you are saying, but this isn't that mercenary of a game. There is no attacking neighbors and plundering. FoE (forge of empires) allows that.

Have a glorious Sunday!

Last edited:

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
@SoulsSilhouette Glad to see you playing! You're right by me on the world map and I think it's a welcome back? Also glad you aren't on my bad list :p If you ever get stuck, message me & I'll help with some lopsided trades so you can continue to grow.

SoulsSilhouette

Buddy Fan Club member
@SoulsSilhouette Glad to see you playing! You're right by me on the world map and I think it's a welcome back? Also glad you aren't on my bad list :p If you ever get stuck, message me & I'll help with some lopsided trades so you can continue to grow.

Thanks! I have had periods of inactivity, especially lately, because I have two jobs, both which are considered 'essential'. So, as the situation was absolutely REDREDRED, overtime was mandatory in one job and optional in the other. I managed OT in both. Bank account loved it, but my game play suffered. Now that things are mostly back to normal, meaning YELLOW, I am here on a more consistent basis. Can't wait for green! That's when I can take some much needed vacation!