• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Pro tip for you mid chapter cities

DeletedUser20616

Don't bother advancing your chapter unless you're about to hit 16 or grabbing manadatory Squad Size upgrades.

The difficulty in the Spire becomes out of whack after a single SSU. The more you research, the harder it becomes. Forgot to mention I had to place some expansions to start Halflings.

inno's trying to make everyone quit i guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser20616

NONE of this is a "Pro tip for you mid chapter cities this is a rant and nothing more
Either heed the advice or don't and remember this all before the new tournament format... just going to get worse

Iyapo1

@Ed1960 How about:

Pro tip for players be very careful with your expansions. I just visited minmax gamers new calculator and found out that placing 1 expansion will increase the difficulty the exact same amount as gaining 16 AW levels!

There are to many factors involved for my numbers to be applied to anyone elses city, so here is a link: Go, clone, enter your data and take a look at the results so you can plan ahead.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Sometimes a rant is just a rant, and sometimes it has something important to say. The wording may have been improved, but the idea that placing expansions or squad size upgrades and how they negatively affect your ability to do the spire and/or tournament, is an important thing to bring up. And while I'm not sure if this discussion is about the effect of SSU's or expansions on Spire fighting or tournament fighting, or all of the above, still, buried in the words is an ideas that could be helpful to discuss.

AJ

StarLoad

AJ, you are correct but in the case of the OP I looked and found his most advanced city (for the registered name) was in chapter 11, and with his halfling comment and the inno and quitting comment in his first unedited post it read like a rant. Only after he cleaned and changed it does it even make sense

GlamDoll

I saw this thread and got prematurely excited.
:(
However, I agree that any advancement at all seems to have a 'serious' impact on game play in my experience.

If I were ever to give 'advice', it would be to:

A: Make sure you have a plan
B: Make sure your in game decisions facilitate that plan more than not.

WolfSinger

Right now, it seems that having a plan and making sure YOUR in game decisions facilitate that plan fails before the monkey wrenches INNO decides to throw at the carefully laid plans of elves and men.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Right now, it seems that having a plan and making sure YOUR in game decisions facilitate that plan fails before the monkey wrenches INNO decides to throw at the carefully laid plans of elves and men.

It is a little known fact that monkey wrenches were invented by one Mr. Murphy. Yep, that Mr. Murphy. He has a catalog of monkey wrenches available for all occasions, but of course, getting your hands on the catalog is difficult as it can't be legally shipped to a PO box or street address. But his factory is on Moreland Avenue, Waukesha, Wisconsin, so you, theoretically, could go pick one up. I say, "theoretically," because that, too is a problem. Moreland Avenue is a one way street and you aren't allowed to dive the direction the street goes. If you do, the cops will pull you over and issue you a ticket. But of course the ticket tell you to send the payment to the Moreland Avenue police department. Which would be fine if there weren't 1,207 Moreland Avenues in Waukesha, Wisconsin. All of them heading in all directions, all of them twisting and turning like a plate of old spaghetti, and all of them numbered via a random number generator. 123 Moreland Avenue might be next to 76251 Moreland Avenue, next to 255 Moreland Avenue.

Of course, the ticket could be paid over the phone, and since there's a phone number clearly printed on the ticket you could call it. Which would , fine, if the telephone number on the ticket was manned. But after ten rings you get a voice message, "please listen to the entire menu as it has recently changed...." followed by, "press 1274953 if you want the dishwasher's mother-in-law, press 1274952 if you want the dishwasher's dog groomer, press 1274951 if you want to be connected to the dishwasher, and so on until you get, "press 0 if you want to be connected to an operator..." at which point, if you press 0 it says, "your approximate wait time is seventeen years, four months, two weeks, three days, four hours and twenty (pause) seven minutes. Fifteen seconds later the phone hangs up or goes to a busy signal. Still want that monkey wrench catalog?

If you do, don't worry, next week the factory is moving over to Moreland Avenue. Of course it's a different Moreland Avenue than the one it's currently on. You can't say it's the one that goes east and west as it doesn't. Nor does it go north and south. In fact, it's the Moreland Avenue that goes north, east,south, west, north, west, north, east, south..... in it's first four blocks. Not to be confused with the Moreland Avenue that goes north, east, south, west, north, east, north, east, south.... in it's first four blocks. Of course all this insures Waukesha, Wisconsin, grows. Having every street named Moreland Avenue insures everything in town, including the freeway out of town, is simply, "over on Moreland." In the end most visitors find a house on Moreland Avenue and settle down. They then find a job on Moreland Avenue, get married at the First Church of Moreland Avenue and have have kids they send to Moreland Avenue Elementary, Moreland Avenue Middle School, and Moreland Avenue High, until they graduate from Moreland Avenue College at which point they find an apartment on Moreland Avenue. Of course, once they leave home you will not see them again since their new address, being on Moreland Avenue, will be impossible to find. But this is, of course, way, way off topic, though one could say naming every street "Moreland Avenue" might be the mother of all monkey wrenches.

AJ

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
I gather the OP is trying to give advice based on tournament play on Beta or the International server. I play both, and my older cities on EN2, EN1, are in Chapters 15 and 16.
The new format represents a change needed to rebalance the game, one I suspect is born in the manner that later AW stack many factors. Tournament is not 'easier' but it is less time consuming and it does require taking more time and thought to build a balanced city.
It saddens me to think that this server's introduction to the new format comes in such a broken form.
We are still giving feedback on the EN Forum and are being assured by our moderators that the feedback is being forwarded, and that positive suggestions for improvement are being considered at this very time.

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
And actually: "tournament is less time consuming, and now a city needs more thought to build properly", is a primary feedback from players who prefer the building aspect of the game.

InvincibleRailroad

It sure is looking like my plan for a Spire/tournament only city was a good one. Now all I have to do is complete it! With one tech to go in chapter 16 that will be happening soon. Also, from what I have seen the settlement buildings for chapter 17 are HUGE, there is no way I could put them in my city!