• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Psychological vs Actual Statistics

Deleted User - 849777001

I joined the forum because it was encouraged by the devs...I anticipated "up to date" game news regarding changes, strategies, and "coming attractions".

I set up my forum account ... did my first lookie-loo, and exited ... promptly forgetting my forum password.

I struggled for 3 months to remember that stupid password...it became a game within a game... a challenge to prove myself "cognitively sound". When I finally found it (scribbled on a "Post-It" note stuck inside my tablet case)...I bounced in the forum door (feeling like I'd won the lottery). I announced my "Hello from Houston" and shared my joy at finally remembering my password...lol.

I was greeted & welcomed by so many friendly folk..I felt I'd found a home!
The more I visited, the more I learned about the game...and reading the "Rant Logic" and the "Countering Logic" ... really helped me see the game with a 360° view ... To understand that there were deeper ways to experience the game than just following the Tech Tree. It was the "visceral" insights that really enhanced my appreciation for the game.

I was already "addicted" to building my little city...and the feedback in the forum helped me understand why.

THE END

Last edited by a moderator:

elvenbee

We are only a small percentage of the player base and don't have all the information about the game to make fully educated opinions.
The cool thing about opinions is that you don't NEED all the information to form/have one.

That's just my opinion of course :)
To make a fully educated opinion, you do need all the information. Otherwise, it's not a fully educated opinion.

Siorse

I believe a better choice of word would be "supposition" or perhaps "assumption" since unless it's an "expert" or "legal" opinion it requires no information (per its definition) to have one.

I wasn't trying to be pedantic with my first post, merely humorous; but since you opened that door there it is lol

elvenbee

I believe a better choice of word would be "supposition" or perhaps "assumption" since unless it's an "expert" or "legal" opinion it requires no information (per its definition) to have one.

I wasn't trying to be pedantic with my first post, merely humorous; but since you opened that door there it is lol
There's an actual difference between an opinion and educated opinion though.... An educated opinion is an opinion based on actual facts and information. It wouldn't be supposition/assumption, since the individual has education on the topic. Supposition and assumption are synonyms.

I didn't think you were trying to be pedantic, or humorous, I just thought you missed the "fully educated" portion lol. I do think "an educated" opinion instead of "fully educated" opinion would have been a better phrase.

Silly Bubbles

You cant pop them all
I think that the point was made clear and that's what I think is the most important. And yes, please excuse my not perfect wording, English is not my first language.

Siorse

English as a second language is terrible, and I'm speaking as a native speaker lol

We have so many idioms and phrases that don't make any sense if you didn't grow up hearing them.

Kudos to you for not giving up!

Silly Bubbles

You cant pop them all
Don't apologize! I commend anyone who learned English as a second language, since we tend to be difficult lol
English as a second language is terrible, and I'm speaking as a native speaker lol

We have so many idioms and phrases that don't make any sense if you didn't grow up hearing them.

Kudos to you for not giving up!

English is definitely not the most logical language but I have seen harder languages. It all depends on what language we come from. Also, it's more of a brain thing rather than the difficulty of language.

Silly Bubbles

You cant pop them all
English as a second language is terrible,

I don't think it's terrible. I think it's interesting, different, fun... Life is not about perfection, I don't even think that perfection exists. My English skills give me what I want from it and I definitely have more enjoyable things to do than making it better. Most of the world population are from non English speaking backgrounds and they are just fine, there's many many things that are more important.

Siorse

@Silly Bubbles...I should have phrased that differently.

I didn't mean it's terrible that you chose it or that it's a terrible language; I meant that for a non-English speaker it's an extremely difficult language to master because of the way we, (native speakers), use it.

Phrases like "curiosity killed the cat", "don't be a stranger", "I can't put my finger on it", "the cat's out of the bag"...the list is practically endless!

I think I'd go mad trying to learn(to use) English if I hadn't grown up here.

BrinDarby

I think I'd go mad trying to learn(to use) English if I hadn't grown up here.
Even within the US, "slang" or "catch phrases" can be very
different depending on the region.... or...... "You're only as
smart as where ya live".... meaning a regional phrase, makes
no sence to someone in another reason, **initially...

Try saying one of these phrases, correctly translated into
another language..... they know what the words are, yet they
have no clue what they mean, per how the speaker means it.

Silly Bubbles

You cant pop them all
Even within the US, "slang" or "catch phrases" can be very
different depending on the region.... or...... "You're only as
smart as where ya live".... meaning a regional phrase, makes
no sence to someone in another reason, **initially...

Try saying one of these phrases, correctly translated into
another language..... they know what the words are, yet they
have no clue what they mean, per how the speaker means it.

It's all about reading between the lines! :D
Also, you'd be surprised how many phrases are universal.

Katwick

Cartographer
Basic Spanish is pretty straight forward, and there's acutally a language institute that tries to keep it that way.

In English the Modern Language Institute can't even get folks to put the comma BEFORE the closed quote.

BUT .......

For advanced Spanish you practically need a degree in Spanish Literature, because allusion is used the way English uses idioms.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Basic Spanish is pretty straight forward, and there's acutally a language institute that tries to keep it that way.

In English the Modern Language Institute can't even get folks to put the comma BEFORE the closed quote.

BUT .......

For advanced Spanish you practically need a degree in Spanish Literature, because allusion is used the way English uses idioms.
It was Queen Isabella who figured out the need for a single form of Spanish. She also figured one religion would be good for all too. So she set up a group to revise, simplify and standardize Spanish. It worked for quite a while and is why Spanish is so easy to learn compared to other languages. Korea did a similar thing, inventing a whole new way to write their language, and, by doing so, revising, simplifying, and standardizing it so that it's taught in school. Unfortunately, though, Korean society, for years and even today, continues to use the old system as well, meaning every kid now has two systems to learn. Lucky them!

AJ

BrinDarby

or it seems any "english broadcast" correctly stop ommiting "the" ......
( the ones that come from non english speaking countries )

"Last week president XXXXXX, spent 2 days in hospital" , seriously o_O
its "spent 2 days in the hospital" ..... right ?

Pheryll

Set Designer
How about trying to explain why it's
"in THE hospital, in bed."

It would probably be corrected by the same person to "in the hospital, in a bed." Still there are phrases used like "in real life" where adding the article, i.e. "in a real life", is not done. And of course there are expressions from other languages (e.g. in vivo, in vitro) that would never have an article added in.

Katwick

Cartographer
Veni, Vidi, Visa
CreditCard-Trap480.png

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
or it seems any "english broadcast" correctly stop ommiting "the" ......
( the ones that come from non english speaking countries )

"Last week president XXXXXX, spent 2 days in hospital" , seriously o_O
its "spent 2 days in the hospital" ..... right ?
How about trying to explain why it's
"in THE hospital, in bed."

(More grammar than anyone probably wanted to know this morning)

That's a more complex grammar issue than it seems at first glance, and none of them is wrong, depending what the person intended to convey. "In the hospital" is a location. As in, "he is in the hospital, she is in her office" (or "in the office")

"In hospital" properly refers to the state of being. As in "he is in hospital, she is in office" (state of being). for variation, she is "out of office" (state of being) or she is "out of her/the office" (location)

Many people misuse state of being vs location (mostly by accident, sometimes becuase it conveys more information with fewer words^1) but the phrase itself is not necessarily incorrect without knowing what they intend to say (Alternate example: "He is sick in hospital, she is sick at home"

^1 Saying "he is in the hospital" tells you where he is, but says nothing about why. Saying "He is in hospital" provides the information that he needs to be there. He is not just there as location, but becasue that is his state of being. He is probably sick/injured and has to be in the hospital as opposed to just visting. So "he is in hospital" is a shortcut (weak, but embraced in common speech) for "he is in the hospital because he needs to be there." While Katwick's example conveys location and state in one longer but more accurate phrase: location=hospital, state=in bed.