• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

question about strike back

Henroo

Oh Wise One
Does anybody know exactly how much damage a strike back does? It seems to me like it is less than a standard attack. I was wondering exactly how it is calculated.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
I am posting a response to give this thread a bump. Nobody ever answered the original question. Does anyone know exactly how the damage from a Strike Back is calculated?

Deleted User - 849192770

i think it might be the same thechnecly but since you know how the less hearts they have the less damage they deal so i think that since the only way to strike back is after being hit it will always be less then the damage dealt earlier. i test this next time i get in a fight

Deleted User - 1178646

I am posting a response to give this thread a bump. Nobody ever answered the original question. Does anyone know exactly how the damage from a Strike Back is calculated?
As far as I know not really. it's a percentage of the normal damage but no clue what.
it's to much effort to figure it out.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
I looked around and found no indication of what it would be. Hovering over "strike back" gives nothing while hovering over some of the other ones does. Perhaps a glitch? I'd ask support since, it seems to me, it should give your the answer when you hover over it.

AJ

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
Nope, no clue on this one. Figured it was a % but I auto fight so never see it anymore.
Thanks anyhow.
I know I read something, years ago, but it was probably the old battle system. Hmmm I should check my old notebook.

Fayeanne

I've been intending to gather some data on this since I do manual fight, but it's actually hard to test because unit damage is dependant upon how many units are in the stack and is also impacted by debuffs. I need to luck into a situation where a unit gets a retaliation and then immediately gets his turn, while still having a similar target around to hit to compare the numbers to...

I can say that Strike Back never applies debuffs even if the retaliating unit normally would apply them. This is true even of Mage-type units who ordinarily get a debuff even at 1 star.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
One way we could get an answer is to claim it's not working. I think strike back should do 1,000% damage to all the opposing troops, instantly. Oh, it's not doing that? Must be a glitch.....support ticket!

Do that once and I'll bet the devs will be a bit more informative? Of course, I don't think it's 1,000% damage to all the opposing troops, instantly, but wouldn't that be nice? ;)

AJ

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
The blue 'i' used to be informative about strikeback. It was listed as a percentage of regular damage, but .. I don't think it said how much. But it was part of balancing relative strengths and weaknesses prior to the battle redesign in the fall of 2016. I have a distinct memory that treants were listed as better with strikeback.

Fayeanne

So I decided to sacrifice some Cerberuses in the first four battles of the Spire to get some testing data on this. (First four Spire encounters so that the enemies would be weak enough that they wouldn't completely obliterate my poor puppies before I got any usable data.) After a bit of this, I realized debuffs may have been interfering with my results, so I switched over to a low-level city and started twapping 2-star enemies with 1-star Vallorian Guards. (I deliberately walked them within Strike Back range.)

Conclusions:

- In my samples, I am seeing Strike Back damage anywhere from 32%-48% of the regular attack damage dealt by that unit. But that spread may simply be due to the regular random spread of damage, rather than an actual difference in the percentages themselves. Thus, you can think of Strike Back as doing roughly ~40% of the regular attack damage.

- The percent of damage that a Strike Back deals does not appear to be related to the type of unit attacking; I'm not (yet) seeing any signs that different units are better at Strike Back than others. (I've only tested Light Melee and Heavy Melee so far, however. I did test some enemy Treants, but so far not player Treants. Also, the standard random variance in damage may be throwing off my results in this regard.)

- Strike Back happens after the unit takes damage from the original attack, so the Strike Back damage is affected by unit loss from the original attack, and debuffs (if any) that the original attack applies.

- Strike Back never inflicts debuffs.

- Strike Back damage is affected by standard unit type bonuses/penalties (e.g. Light Melee against Heavy Melee or such). For example, if a unit has a -19% penalty when attacking a particular target, he'll have a -19% penalty on his Strike Back damage against that target also.

- Strike Back damage appears to be affected by debuffs, both an attack debuff on the unit using Strike Back, and defensive debuff on the target. In one example, the unit was getting a +33% damage bonus because of a defense debuff on his target; he got the exact same +33% on both his regular attacks and his Strike Back blows.

Trivia: The result of Strike Back damage is displayed on the unit portraits in the initiative bar at the bottom of the screen even before the animations play out. If a unit is going to get eliminated by Strike Back damage (suicide), you will see its HP go to 0 and its icon gray out at the bottom of the screen before the unit on the battle field visually even strikes its target.