• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Questions about joining a FS

helya

Beloved Ex-Team Member
Have you thought about putting the Fellowships research directly after Trader and/or just combining it into one Trader/Fellowships research?
This research was added deliberately into chapter 2, so I don't think it will be moved to an earlier spot unless the trader was also moved to chapter 2.

Usually, when new players join a Fellowship, they join one with other chapter 1 players, of which many stop playing right away, and then they end up in a dead Fellowship not realizing they can leave and find a more active one, or not being aware that a totally inactive Fellowship is not the norm.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
Similar to the way the daily gift is happening (slow roll out to test functionality blah, blah, blah) There is an updated research tree that includes research requirements for different things such an visits and Fellowships. Players with these researches also have different quests, some designed to make them more successful and less frustrated in the early chapters.
But why is this even being introduced in the first place? I am honestly confused why the Devs think this is a good idea. Being in a fellowship is one of the most important parts of the game. In fact, I dare say that finding a good fellowship is one of the most important things to do early in the game. What is the point of changing the way the early game works so that it is MORE difficult for new players to join a FS? I mean, I was introduced to the game by a real life friend. And by pure coincidence, the first city I founded was in the same world she played in. I was able to immediately join her FS on the first day I played. I was happy because I was immediately able to join up with my friend. Once I started playing, I was hooked. But if I had to jump through hoops on day 1 in order to join my friend's FS, I think there is a chance I would have bailed on the game right away. And I am certain I am not the only person who was referred to the game by a real life friend. What is the point of making it harder for such people to join their friends and family right away once they found their city?

Guurt The Destroyer

The number one issue I had when I started playing Elvenar was that I couldn't figure out where the global chat was. It made no sense at all. You are just all alone. I kept looking for the chat button.

Moving the Fellowship to chapter 2 just makes that worse.

Without chat the game seems pretty lifeless. The Fellowships are too small to really replace global chat, but at least it is something.

What the game needs is global chat. A place to connect with other players.

What you should really do is create a 26th spot in every Fellowship that essentially just gets filled with a new player so that new players can ask questions in real time. Something to create community.

I am sure Elvenar loses a lot of new players due to the lack of any sort of community.

Gladiola

@helya Have you considered as an alternative creating a cost to create a fellowship? A cost in coins, supplies, and t1 goods? That would have the effect of having at least one senior player in any fellowship (at least potentially). If the cost were 300k gold plus other things, you'd know someone had a main hall at that level and had accumulated that many coins. (This is why the cost should include coins and/or supplies, since they cannot be given directly but must be generated or received through limited neighborhood help.)

This would prevent the formation of those all-newbie fellowships while still allowing newbies to join fellowships and receive help quickly. It would be a barrier for people who migrated here en masse from other games and want to play together, but they could join other fellowships temporarily. I'm not saying that I am sure that is the right answer, just wondering if other alternatives have been considered.

helya

Beloved Ex-Team Member
Have you considered as an alternative creating a cost to create a fellowship?
I think players already struggle with coins and supply balances early in the game, I don't know that charging them to join a Fellowship is the best solution. Also, generally when a change starts rolling out like this, there is very little chance of it having changes made to it.

But why is this even being introduced in the first place?
Player retention. The entire entry into Elvenar has been revamped with this change, including adding time boosts early and some other things. Chapter 1 is fast for 99% of the players. Very fast. And it's working, so it's likely to stick around.

Dreamyn2

Buddy Fan Club member
If an established player wished to create a city in a new world, would they also have this research to unlock? Would those with new cities be able to join by invite instead of waiting to complete the research?

I’m curious since I recently started a new city and didn’t have to wait at all to join a fellowship. However, I did join by invitation before even finishing ch 1. I realize not everyone is getting the new research items but still curious.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
@Dreamyn2 it sounds like arbitrary right now and will become the norm soon. We had different people signed up within days of each other and one had FS access from Chap 1 and the other is still working to get to Chap 2 to unlock the tech. Her fellowship shield is faded out and unclickable. Make sure you make sacrificial offerings to the RNG gods before starting a new city.

Dreamyn2

Buddy Fan Club member
@Dreamyn2 it sounds like arbitrary right now and will become the norm soon. We had different people signed up within days of each other and one had FS access from Chap 1 and the other is still working to get to Chap 2 to unlock the tech. Her fellowship shield is faded out and unclickable. Make sure you make sacrificial offerings to the RNG gods before starting a new city.
Thank you. Have you tried sending her an invite to see if she can join that way?

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Yes. She sees a red number bubble in the corner of the FS shield but can’t click on it bc it’s faded out.

Gladiola

@helya I was not suggesting that new players be charged to join a fellowship. Rather, there should be a cost to FOUND a fellowship. That would discourage new players from doing so and avoid the problem of fellowships made up largely of new players that you describe as motivating this change. Each fellowship would have at least one more established player who had the resources to pay the price for founding the fellowship.

Aritra

The number one issue I had when I started playing Elvenar was that I couldn't figure out where the global chat was. It made no sense at all. You are just all alone. I kept looking for the chat button.

Moving the Fellowship to chapter 2 just makes that worse.

Without chat the game seems pretty lifeless. The Fellowships are too small to really replace global chat, but at least it is something.

What the game needs is global chat. A place to connect with other players.

What you should really do is create a 26th spot in every Fellowship that essentially just gets filled with a new player so that new players can ask questions in real time. Something to create community.

I am sure Elvenar loses a lot of new players due to the lack of any sort of community.
First of all, I support fostering community. I support widening chat interfaces to interact with more than just fellowship, but especially across worlds.
Second, your post made me laugh because I spent my first six months not talking to anyone. Then I checked out the Forum, met a few people, made a few friends, and joined a fellowship a couple months later. I'm a bit of a recluse... unless I get triggered, then I don't shut up, lol

Henroo

Oh Wise One
@helya I was not suggesting that new players be charged to join a fellowship. Rather, there should be a cost to FOUND a fellowship. That would discourage new players from doing so and avoid the problem of fellowships made up largely of new players that you describe as motivating this change. Each fellowship would have at least one more established player who had the resources to pay the price for founding the fellowship.
I am going to have to disagree with this. In Arendyll I founded my city and then founded a brand new fellowship as Archmage on the same day. And I then grew the fellowship from absolutely nothing to 10 chest/silver spire status. It took 13 months to do so. Was it easy? Oh Hell no! Was it incredibly rewarding and totally worth the effort the 1st time the FS I created from scratch got 10 chests? Oh yes!

Gladiola

@Henroo With the proposed research change (now being tested) you wouldn't have been able to found your fellowship on the first day (in all likelihood). My point was that if the developers' goal is to prevent fellowships made up mostly of newbies, there is a better way to accomplish this than preventing new players from joining fellowships. The concern about having all-new players in a fellowship and then quitting the game seems to have come from the developers, as expressed by @helya , unless I misunderstood her.

Muttmommy

My FS is having precisely that problem. We all started out new and 6 players have left, including our Archmage who has be mia for several weeks. I've been trying to keep it going by recruiting new members. Though I'm not having much luck with that. Is there another way to recruit other than to post here on the forum? There are about 11 of us that are progressing fairly quickly and some that are slower.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
My FS is having precisely that problem. We all started out new and 6 players have left, including our Archmage who has be mia for several weeks. I've been trying to keep it going by recruiting new members. Though I'm not having much luck with that. Is there another way to recruit other than to post here on the forum? There are about 11 of us that are progressing fairly quickly and some that are slower.
If your archmage is MIA it is possible to contact support and get a new AM appointed. Normally support wants to see a prolonged period of inactivity from the current AM, so I would get this process started ASAP. I would also go ahead and start having chats within the active members to see who wants to take the job on. Or as an alternative you and the other 10 or 11 active members of the current FS could consider merging with an existing FS. This has its own challenges. I am sure there are plenty of fellowships with 2 or 3 openings. But finding a *GOOD* one with that many openings might be a challenge. However these are the 2 options as I see them: either 1. replace your current AM and then recruit or 2. try to find a new FS with leadership that you and the other active members can join.

Grid Gypsy

What @Henroo said, but there's also a third option and the one my fellowship members and I tried first. (We got stuck in exactly this position when I was in chapter two but with a much smaller group and no mage promotions.) Have whoever wants to be the Arch Mage make a list of everyone in the group who wants to stay together and then everyone leaves the fellowship. The new Arch Mage creates another fellowship, sends out invites and hopefully promotes some mages; it's quicker and less painless than waiting on Inno while Inno waits on the old AM. We did eventually go with the merge route, but there were only 3 of us left by that time and I'm on one of the newer servers where it's harder to recruit.

And as for other avenues of recruiting, you can add some form of *Recruiting* to your FS name and to your city name. There's also a Facebook page specifically for fellowships looking for members (and one for players looking for fellowships) if you have an account. I believe you can also advertise on the Elvenar sub-Reddit if you're registered there but check the rules first.

iamthouth

Tetris Master
There is no penalty to leave a fellowship, so just have all the active members leave on their own accord and start a new one, or find another to join.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
Make sure you have an overview that states exactly what your goals are and what you're trying to attract. Make it fun and catchy. A good overview will go a long way to attract members. I'm not saying that's the main thing, but it's important.