• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Questions on Deleting Messages from the Elvenar Message Board

• Thread starter Deleted User - 849411552
  • Start date

Deleted User - 849411552

I find myself guessing about how the message board handles deletions, and the official Wiki is no help.

When you delete a message thread from the message board, is it just deleting your copy of the message?

Is there a way to delete the message thread that would remove the thread from everybody's message board?

If someone adds a new message to a message thread you have deleted, does it reappear?

Are messages eventually deleted automatically if no one is using them?

Lady Dastardly

When you delete a message thread from the message board, is it just deleting your copy of the message?
Yes
Is there a way to delete the message thread that would remove the thread from everybody's message board?
No
If someone adds a new message to a message thread you have deleted, does it reappear?
No. once you have deleted a thread you will not be able to see it again, regardless of what else gets posted to it.
Are messages eventually deleted automatically if no one is using them?
Yes, although I'm not 100% certain of the time frame. It's at least 2 months before deletion, but I try to bump anything I don't want to lose after about a month of inactivity.

And 2 questions you didn't ask, but which get asked frequently:
Can I add someone back to a thread after they have (accidentally) deleted it?
No, you need to restart the thread when this happens.

Can new FS members see threads that are addressed to the entire FS?
Yes. As soon as the next post is made in the thread, it will then be visible to the new members.

Elyseflame

I wanted to follow up and ask if there is a way to have my post deleted from the forum? I moved feedback to another thread and wanted to get rid of my original post. I didn't see a delete button. I changed the message to alert the forum I moved it to another thread. If the message can't be deleted so be it. Thanks.

Zoof

EDIT: Contents removed pending more testing.

EDIT2: Might want to message a forum mod about that. Posts that are moved to an archival subforum doesn't appear to allow edits or deletions. but maybe a mod can do it. I personally checked on a post I made somewhere else where it was moved from suggestions to general, and I managed to retain edit/delete permissions, but not for posts that were, for example, moved into suggestions to archived suggestions.

Last edited:

Elyseflame

EDIT: Contents removed pending more testing.

EDIT2: Might want to message a forum mod about that. Posts that are moved to an archival subforum doesn't appear to allow edits or deletions. but maybe a mod can do it. I personally checked on a post I made somewhere else where it was moved from suggestions to general, and I managed to retain edit/delete permissions, but not for posts that were, for example, moved into suggestions to archived suggestions.
I did contact support. I will message a forum mod (if I can figure out the best way to contact one) if support is not able to assist with the situation. It really was my goof due to confusion. I thought there would be a simple thread for event feedback, but I was pretty surprised to see a thread that started back in March with the hope people would submit feedback to it. It's a great place to vent about events, but I was hoping for something more formal as far as event suggestions. Thanks for your reply. :)

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
I did contact support. I will message a forum mod (if I can figure out the best way to contact one) if support is not able to assist with the situation. It really was my goof due to confusion. I thought there would be a simple thread for event feedback, but I was pretty surprised to see a thread that started back in March with the hope people would submit feedback to it. It's a great place to vent about events, but I was hoping for something more formal as far as event suggestions. Thanks for your reply. :)
This is just a guess, but I would think that if you pushed the "edit" button, erased the whole text, and then pressed "save" that the message would be deleted since it had no content. But don't quote me. Still, I'd try it just in case.

Elyseflame

This is just a guess, but I would think that if you pushed the "edit" button, erased the whole text, and then pressed "save" that the message would be deleted since it had no content. But don't quote me. Still, I'd try it just in case.
I tried that earlier and it said error! I wrote one of the moderators. Hopefully they can delete it. Thanks :)

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
I tried that earlier and it said error! I wrote one of the moderators. Hopefully they can delete it. Thanks :)
Well, it was worth a shot. Thanks for letting me know. I guess I'll have to be careful if I want to throw a tomato at anyone (figuratively) in a message, lol. No delete button is not a good thing. :)

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
@Elyseflame
While I don't know the answer to who can help you in support, I'll tag @Astram here and see if that's more help to you for forum issues.
a thread that started back in March with the hope people would submit feedback to it.
From what I see, your post was moved to the special FA thread for the July 2022 FA that is stickied (?how do you spell that? I know, I know, it's not a verb but it should be, lol!) pinned to the top of the Discussion sub-forum. There were significant changes between the version released in beta and the one released live and that thread was specifically created by the forum moderator to keep as much specific player response to those changes in one place. The community manager has even posted in that thread that she is watching that thread specifically and forwarding everything she sees there to the devs.
So, I think your post ended up where it will get the most eyes on it from folks with the power to do anything about any of this.

Edit to add: This is a huge forum and it's common to have issues navigating everything here until you get used to the layouts and what to look for. Always ask questions and someone will be around to at least try and help!

Elyseflame

@Elyseflame
While I don't know the answer to who can help you in support, I'll tag @Astram here and see if that's more help to you for forum issues.

From what I see, your post was moved to the special FA thread for the July 2022 FA that is stickied (?how do you spell that? I know, I know, it's not a verb but it should be, lol!) pinned to the top of the Discussion sub-forum. There were significant changes between the version released in beta and the one released live and that thread was specifically created by the forum moderator to keep as much specific player response to those changes in one place. The community manager has even posted in that thread that she is watching that thread specifically and forwarding everything she sees there to the devs.
So, I think your post ended up where it will get the most eyes on it from folks with the power to do anything about any of this.

Edit to add: This is a huge forum and it's common to have issues navigating everything here until you get used to the layouts and what to look for. Always ask questions and someone will be around to at least try and help!
I know I moved my message, but if it was moved to a suggestion sub forum that's great. I messaged Astram directly right before you posted, but thanks for tagging the moderator. Yes I will ask next time. I agree this is a very large forum, but I use the "Search" feature to narrow things down. Where is this subforum by the way you are describing for the July 2022 feedback?

Deleted User - 849411552

Yes

No

No. once you have deleted a thread you will not be able to see it again, regardless of what else gets posted to it.

Yes, although I'm not 100% certain of the time frame. It's at least 2 months before deletion, but I try to bump anything I don't want to lose after about a month of inactivity.

And 2 questions you didn't ask, but which get asked frequently:
Can I add someone back to a thread after they have (accidentally) deleted it?
No, you need to restart the thread when this happens.

Can new FS members see threads that are addressed to the entire FS?
Yes. As soon as the next post is made in the thread, it will then be visible to the new members.
Thank you Lady Dastardly, that was most helpful.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
Where is this subforum by the way you are describing for the July 2022 feedback?
It's not really part of the ideas/suggestions sub-forum. That particular sub-forum has a specific set of criteria for ideas/suggestions and a whole process of discussion, going into a moderator generated poll here, being voted on by us players, then going to the Community Manager group for voting and eventual submission to the devs. The devs laid out very specific rules about what ideas they will not entertain as well as the required components for any idea the CM's are allowed to submit via that official path to the devs. If you're interested, the requirements are pinned in the 'read before posting' sticky there.
The sub-forum where I found your feedback on the July 2022 FA is *General Discussion* and the thread pinned to the top where I found it is this one.

Edit to add: In all of this @Elyseflame I forgot the most important thing I wanted to say to you:
Welcome to the forums! We're a pretty decent bunch once you get to know us!

Elyseflame

Thanks for clarifying. Yes I read the "read before posting" note which is why I moved my comment to the correct thread. I just wish I read it before posting my first feedback since it was under a couple of other threads. ;) Live and learn. I was wondering if you were talking about the post I moved and you were however it's good to know there are specific rules about the ideas. I am just glad feedback can be submitted. I am use to feedback either being reviewed or rejected, but it is great I got to share my thoughts. Thanks for the welcome. I did sign up over a year ago to the forum and have posted a question or response before, but this is the first time for submitting feedback with this forum. Grateful for all the information I received. This is my 7th year with Elvenar (I believe) and I probably will retire this app at some point.