• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

quitting properly vs city abandonment

Aritra

Let me start by saying I'm not quitting. Recent discussions have triggered a question that I have so far been unable to locate the answer, hence, coming to you.
It is well known that cities are [too often] abandoned and are a nuisance on the world map. It seems the the game wardens aren't particularly quick to eliminate them (despite the thirty day thing on the rules list).
My question is how, or if, there is a way to quit properly that would hasten the city being removed, as opposed to simple abandonment?

Henroo

Oh Wise One
I have seen cities on the map where players have changed the city name to something like "Not Playing" or "Abandoned". Sometimes the date the city was abandoned is included. Doing something like this is a simple courtesy which lets everybody who cares to look know the city is inactive.

shimmerfly

@Henroo
Yep! I've also seen cities emptied out except for what you can't remove/sell.
Of course that was when you had to actually visit your neighbors.
I think speeding up the game has hurt it?

@Rp44 I know I've seen it but don't remember where. Maybe in game on the bottom of the start up page?
Whether or not it works is another question.

SoulsSilhouette

Buddy Fan Club member
What is TRULY annoying is that I have a neighbor in Sinya who is an active member in the forums but he has abandoned this particular city. As far as I can tell, he doesn't visit that city at all. He has a lot to say about how this game is run, but yet, he's part of the problem.

DeletedUser25390

I have neighbors, some of which haven't logged in upwards of 3 years.
Some don't even show up on Elvenstats.
If purging forums accts.(as per helya's post)is coming soon, how doing the to same idle player accts.
If they have not logged in in months, chances are they probably going to never login again.
Sad to say maybe they passed on,,maybe from covid. Now days it is a reality.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser25391

Maybe an automated email they are if inactive more than a year. If no reply after 30 days delete the account. Especially those with only 1 city in the game.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
What is TRULY annoying is that I have a neighbor in Sinya who is an active member in the forums but he has abandoned this particular city. As far as I can tell, he doesn't visit that city at all. He has a lot to say about how this game is run, but yet, he's part of the problem.

It also has a bunch to say about new players. They often get bored when one city is taking soooooo looooooong that they start a second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh....you get the point. Then, when they realize the time commitment it takes to run one, two, three, four.....cities what can they do? They have the cities and only so much time. So they abandon some or most.

Now of course, if they are participating in the forums should they be told to be quiet because they abandoned a city? I think I'd rather have them in the forum telling others to NOT start two, three, four, five, or more cities but to wait until they know they can handle so many cities. AND in the mean time we get their experience from having had two, three, four, five....cities. It may not be pretty, but I take it as a win.

AJ

Alram

Flippers just flip
It isn't just boredom for new players. How long should people wait for someone, anyone to take their 25 plank trades before they go seek out a busier neighborhood?

ajqtrz

You ever wonder what would happen if they did delete all the inactive accounts? Look at the map. I've surveyed my 350 or so neighbors and found that over 1/2 of them are inactive. Removing them means a LOT of empty space and since nobody of any size wants to move.....it remains empty until new players start (of whom 1/2 at least will soon quit). The problem is indicative of a flaw in the early design. In my opinion they should have had a system of ranking in which as you got more established and consistent you were automatically moved toward the center and the other active players. As it is now it's more like a very worn piece of cloth that has been poked a bunch of times -- "active" areas are full of "inactive players."

In any case, if they did remove inactives at the rate they become inactive we'd all suffer having few to no neighbors....it would be like the very edge of the current map, only across the entire map for the most part.

AJ

Henroo

Oh Wise One
You ever wonder what would happen if they did delete all the inactive accounts? Look at the map. I've surveyed my 350 or so neighbors and found that over 1/2 of them are inactive. Removing them means a LOT of empty space and since nobody of any size wants to move.....it remains empty until new players start (of whom 1/2 at least will soon quit). The problem is indicative of a flaw in the early design. In my opinion they should have had a system of ranking in which as you got more established and consistent you were automatically moved toward the center and the other active players. As it is now it's more like a very worn piece of cloth that has been poked a bunch of times -- "active" areas are full of "inactive players."

In any case, if they did remove inactives at the rate they become inactive we'd all suffer having few to no neighbors....it would be like the very edge of the current map, only across the entire map for the most part.

AJ
But the inactives are not real neighbors anyway. You never trade with them or receive help visits back from inactive cities. All they are is something you can target once a day to raise some gold. I would prefer every inactive city around me to be replaced by a gold mine. It is quicker and easier to tap a gold mine than to give a help visit to a dead city, but you get the same result. And this change would not affect the active neighbors who I actually trade with or exchange visits with.

ajqtrz

But the inactives are not real neighbors anyway. You never trade with them or receive help visits back from inactive cities. All they are is something you can target once a day to raise some gold. I would prefer every inactive city around me to be replaced by a gold mine. It is quicker and easier to tap a gold mine than to give a help visit to a dead city, but you get the same result. And this change would not affect the active neighbors who I actually trade with or exchange visits with.

Yep, but do you visit every city? I don't. I visit about 155 because they are in fellowships and more likely to be active (I am guessing here). In any case, as you note, if there were a field of gold mines it would be faster than if you had neighbors (active or not) and thus easier to "visit" (one click vs 2). That, I think, would mean a lot more gold in the system and might throw thing out of kilter in some way. AND it would be a bit discouraging to have a field of gold mines and realize that the game had been abandoned by so many. Psychology plays a big part in any game and I'm pretty sure the devs don't want people feeling like Elvenar is a dying game.

I have about 15 active visiting neighbors. I get about 10-12 visits a day from them. That's a pretty low percentage out of 350 or so neighbors. I'm wondering if that's about the norm though. Anybody know?

AJ

hvariidh gwendrot

i have multiple worlds, they deleted a specific one on a world i wasn't playing at the time .. it took about 20 messages but it got deleted.. but if they ghost the city will sit forever it seems
if they did delete all dead cities and compressed the maps in so active cites had active neighbors that would be best .. but doubt they want to take the time to clean things up

Henroo

Oh Wise One
Yep, but do you visit every city? I don't. I visit about 155 because they are in fellowships and more likely to be active (I am guessing here). In any case, as you note, if there were a field of gold mines it would be faster than if you had neighbors (active or not) and thus easier to "visit" (one click vs 2). That, I think, would mean a lot more gold in the system and might throw thing out of kilter in some way. AND it would be a bit discouraging to have a field of gold mines and realize that the game had been abandoned by so many. Psychology plays a big part in any game and I'm pretty sure the devs don't want people feeling like Elvenar is a dying game.

I have about 15 active visiting neighbors. I get about 10-12 visits a day from them. That's a pretty low percentage out of 350 or so neighbors. I'm wondering if that's about the norm though. Anybody know?

AJ
I visit them all when I need gold. For example if I just placed an expansion, unlocked one of the techs which requires a large amount of gold to activate, or if I am doing something that needs lots of gold such as a round of workshop upgrades. When I have to do this, I switch to mobile. I prefer PC for most things in the game, but if you want to go around the world map visiting every city then mobile is faster. And your percentage of active neighbors does indeed seem low. Depending on which city it is, I have between 200 to 240 discovered neighbors. I am getting about 15 visits a day from non-FS members. There are some cities I have found that are active in trader but are relatively new. I am guessing they have not yet discovered me and therefore can't return visits.

Aritra

i have multiple worlds, they deleted a specific one on a world i wasn't playing at the time .. it took about 20 messages but it got deleted.. but if they ghost the city will sit forever it seems
if they did delete all dead cities and compressed the maps in so active cites had active neighbors that would be best .. but doubt they want to take the time to clean things up
I can't explain it well (hopefully someone knowledgable chimes in, or corrects me), but it is my understanding regarding map compression, it isn't simple because the map has specific repeating pattern for boosts and the entering city would need to match (and having exactly what is needed is unrealistic).

Last edited: