• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Randomize undiscovered player trades

• Thread starter DeletedUser1161
  • Start date

DeletedUser1161

Trading is still not working well in Elvenar. It wan't as much of a problem when quests rewarded unboosted goods, but now we are purely reliant on trade to run our cities. We need to be presented with a broader variety of trades. I propose the game would randomly select some trades from players at a similar city score to show in the trader. The random selection could refresh on a timed cycle, preventing players from gaming the system by opening the trader repeatedly until they find a preferred trade.

I say trading isn't working well because most of us only have a handful of active neighbors; only a subset of those post useful trades. Playing without a fellowship is impossible past the first couple chapters of the game now. Unboosted goods are too expensive to make and quests don't reward them. The farther a player progresses in the game, the higher the cost of unboosted factories and the less likely neighbors are to offer the bulk trades needed to support a large city. We can try to rely fellowships trades, but it's pretty easy for a fellowship to develop trade imbalances since we can't change boosts. Since fellowships are also the sole social structure in the game, players are also forced into choosing friends or trades.

The current distance algorithm used for undiscovered player trades doesn't work. Active cities are too sparse on the map. Mostly I'm offered pages and pages of wildly unfavorable trades from a player who seems to be giving goods to friends and alts. Other trades are from tiny cities only trading tier 1 goods. On a typical day there are no requests at all for my tier 2 and 3 boosted goods. Making the algorithm smarter, so I'm presented with random trades from similarly ranked cities, would go a long way towards giving players options outside of fellowships, and even allowing solo gameplay for those players who prefer it.

DeletedUser627

Aydenn, if we were to open a "Bank Fellowship" where you could occasionally bring excess goods and exchange them at a discount (say 90 or 95%), would that help alleviate your situation?

I know it doesn't replace the suggestion for developers...but it's an option for the short term.

DeletedUser1161

Aydenn, if we were to open a "Bank Fellowship" where you could occasionally bring excess goods and exchange them at a discount (say 90 or 95%), would that help alleviate your situation?

I know it doesn't replace the suggestion for developers...but it's an option for the short term.
Yes, it definitely would. This is the Arendyll Trading Post? I'll have to see if one of our fellowship members with more goods wants to swing by for dust and crystal.

DeletedUser627

Yes, it definitely would. This is the Arendyll Trading Post? I'll have to see if one of our fellowship members with more goods wants to swing by for dust and crystal.

Right now some of us are discussing a separate "Bank" - geared toward individual players more than fellowships. One of us will remain all the time as "Banker" and make the trades. The likely guidelines are: max 10k goods (but variable on case by case basis), 90% discount, or 95% - depending on our current balance of goods, and par trades only (basic for basic, crafted for crafted, magical for magical).

The Trading Post is different because two different fellowship arrange to go there to trade.

DeletedUser1470

sorry if I am misusing the multi-quote system, still not sure about it. but is there any new news on the Arendyll bank??

DeletedUser627

I'm trying to amass more goods...I'll likely make the determination once the new chapter comes out. Then I'll know if I want to keep playing competitively or settle into being a banker.

DeletedUser1590

Trading is still not working well in Elvenar. It wan't as much of a problem when quests rewarded unboosted goods, but now we are purely reliant on trade to run our cities. We need to be presented with a broader variety of trades. I propose the game would randomly select some trades from players at a similar city score to show in the trader. The random selection could refresh on a timed cycle, preventing players from gaming the system by opening the trader repeatedly until they find a preferred trade.

I say trading isn't working well because most of us only have a handful of active neighbors; only a subset of those post useful trades. Playing without a fellowship is impossible past the first couple chapters of the game now. Unboosted goods are too expensive to make and quests don't reward them. The farther a player progresses in the game, the higher the cost of unboosted factories and the less likely neighbors are to offer the bulk trades needed to support a large city. We can try to rely fellowships trades, but it's pretty easy for a fellowship to develop trade imbalances since we can't change boosts. Since fellowships are also the sole social structure in the game, players are also forced into choosing friends or trades.

The current distance algorithm used for undiscovered player trades doesn't work. Active cities are too sparse on the map. Mostly I'm offered pages and pages of wildly unfavorable trades from a player who seems to be giving goods to friends and alts. Other trades are from tiny cities only trading tier 1 goods. On a typical day there are no requests at all for my tier 2 and 3 boosted goods. Making the algorithm smarter, so I'm presented with random trades from similarly ranked cities, would go a long way towards giving players options outside of fellowships, and even allowing solo gameplay for those players who prefer it.

This would be a great feature. I have *ZERO* useful players surrounding me. Half of them are abandoned never-finished-the-tutorial sites, and the other half are utterly non-communicative and/or play only rarely. So for all intents and purposes, I'm being penalized for being in a totally sucky area. Sucks to have to pay 5x the cost of goods from the trader or have to pay the trading fee because the only people available for a trade are somewhere completely out of my area.

DeletedUser627

This would be a great feature. I have *ZERO* useful players surrounding me. Half of them are abandoned never-finished-the-tutorial sites, and the other half are utterly non-communicative and/or play only rarely. So for all intents and purposes, I'm being penalized for being in a totally sucky area. Sucks to have to pay 5x the cost of goods from the trader or have to pay the trading fee because the only people available for a trade are somewhere completely out of my area.

Thraxus, I looked at your city - it looks nice. You could find a fellowship for trading.