• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

RE:Change on Trader Fee and Trading Partners Limitation

DeletedUser

I want to expand on an idea that was submitted on the beta forum:

Praetor said:
We all know that the trader is a big issue, the deleted inactives did not solve the problem neither.

Although I didn't see any official statement about the "maximum 200 trading partners", I read that at several posts, so i believe there is that limit.

What I propose is, change the trader fee system, which currently applies a constant fee for all undiscovered cities. Instead, make the fee dependent on the distance.

First of all, remove that limit of 200. We will limit the number of trading partners some other way.

Think my discovered area as my borders, and in order to determine the fee, look at the distance between the trading partner's city and my closest border to them. The fee might be (distance * 10%).
Since we have eliminated the 200 limit, we don't want the trade list to be infinite (well, maybe we do :D), so we still need some limitation. That might not be a certain number, but let's say 10 units of distance which means 100% fee.

This might be still improved by the ability to upgrade the trader building, or some research on trading, both of which are suggested in other threads as well. The coefficient of 10% per distance might be decreased and/or the maximum allowed distance might be increased based on the level of the trader building and/or research.

Any ideas, improvements, changes, additions on this?

I love the idea of scaling the fee with distance from your frontier! The only change I would add is that it ought to work both ways. In consideration of this, I would be happy with FEE=DISTANCE*0.20.

Example: PlayerA wants to make a trade with PlayerB 12 hexes away on the map. PlayerA has explored 4 hexes in PlayerB's direction. PlayerB has explored 5 hexes in PlayerA's direction, leaving a 3 hex frontier in the middle that neither has uncovered. The trader would display a markup of 60%, or 1.60*COST vs. the offered trade.
An astute player sitting in that 3-hex margin could take advantage of the situation by accepting complimentary trades from both PlayerA and PlayerB (at no mark-up) and re-offering them for PlayerB and PlayerA to accept (at no mark-up), keeping some of the trade volume the Trader Fee would have consumed.​

I would also remove the limit on # of trade partners and replace it with a limit on total number of trades displayed in the Trader interface, filtered by value ratios. There are 9 goods to be traded for in 72 different pairings, and each player is allowed up to 60 trade offers. With the current limits theoretically maxed out, some lucky (or unlucky) player might open up the trader to find 200*60=12,000 trade offers sprawling over 1500 pages. Even 40 or 50 pages would be more than most of us ever see. Limit the trade listings to 800 total offers, with the least advantageous (for the buyer) being the first to be omitted. Any trade that would display at worse than the wholesale ratio would automatically be omitted.

DeletedUser

I agree with this type of modification but you would need greater modification if you also charged the seller.

If I sold 100 of A for 100 of B, I would want to be able to put in a maximum cut that I was willing to let the trader take. It would suck if I only received 60 of B cause someone far away really wanted the item.

A time limit on trades should be considered. Maybe even a button for players to either ignore a seller cause he is either greedy or has no concept of trading.

DeletedUser511

NO time limit I have trades in there for days and people do come and buy them. One for ones always trade but someitmes it takes time. I dont want to have to put them back in to the tarde. I want a filter to get these dumb one and no star trades off my screen and stay off.

DeletedUser

NO time limit I have trades in there for days and people do come and buy them. One for ones always trade but someitmes it takes time. I dont want to have to put them back in to the tarde. I want a filter to get these dumb one and no star trades off my screen and stay off.

Agreed. The problem is the zero star trades.

DeletedUser

@zoggie I think you misunderstand. If you put in 100 Marble for 100 Steel, you would get your 100 Steel no matter what. The BUYER would see a marked-up price, dependent on how far their territory is from yours. If your territories overlap, there would be no fee; otherwise it would cost (in my suggested model) an additional 20 Steel from the buyer for every unit of distance between you that neither the seller nor the buyer has discovered on the map. I currently have to source most of my Gems from someone at d=12 from me, but we have explored toward each other to at least both see the cities between us at d=6 or 7. In my proposed plan, the fee between us would be 0% because we have both strategically invested in that exploration on the map.

If it's too difficult to code something to calculate the frontier-to-frontier distance, it would make more sense to charge 5% per unit of distance between the cities. Since I've found most of the cities at a d=7 from me, I would see 140% prices for trades from d=8 and +5% for every unit distance past that.

[edited for typo]

Last edited by a moderator: