• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Re-organizing your city?

DeletedUser9131

Title, is there any easy way to go about it, I know a game I played before had something that allowed you to clear your city, and all buildings/roads would be placed in a tab so you could organize everything.

Does this game have something similar, or am I SoL and have to do it when I have a few open expansions?

DeletedUser3696

The only real way to do it is after completing a chapter and you've sold off your race/guest specific buildings. While you dump kp into the first few techs to open up the next chapters guest race buildings you can re-organize your city.

However, you could just sell off a lot of culture buildings to create open space to help you and then spend a few days building them back once re-arranged.

Thistleknot

Two things that will help. Crazy Wizard gave you the first - use the Elven Architect. Great for city planning. Second, if possible, keep an expansion empty. This allows you to move a building or two out of the way while other things are upgrading. Just remember that anything moved to this expansion will not be useful until you put it back in place and connect it to a road (at least for buildings that need roads).

Risen Malchiah

I also recommend looking around your city for any small or outdated culture buildings that you can sell off. Even if you decide to replace them afterwards, sometimes the few extra squares you get back will be enough to move stuff around. Also, many players tend to have a few random isolated squares scattered around. Temporarily moving roads into those squares sometimes will allow you to shift buildings a bit more easily.

qaccy

The thing that really sucks about city layouts in this game is that you have to 'keep' buildings in order to get the higher level ones, which involves said buildings changing dimensions, often flipping 90 degrees in addition to growing as you move up through chapters. To get a level 25 workshop (which is 5 long and 4 tall), you actually need a space that's 6 squares tall because there are levels where the workshop is 6 squares tall. It means that you constantly need an ever-growing open space in your city in order to facilitate adding completely new buildings (starting from level 1, I mean) until they reach the point where you can slot them in to your actual layout. Another thing that this game unfortunately lacks is the ability to swap buildings that are currently attached to your cursor. While manageable and can be argued that it's part of the strategy of the game to be this way, it means that once again you need some open space in your city in order to reorganize because you always need to have room for all of the buildings you're moving around.

qaccy

@qaccy
It's funny, I actually like that part of the game, the puzzle aspect is what keep me online for more than 5 minutes.

True enough! It does mean that we all need to have a 'ghost building' that's the size of our largest normal building dimensions as we grow our cities, though...until the point where we're done building/rearranging and it can be stuffed with actual (probably culture) buildings. :p

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
The only real way to do it is after completing a chapter and you've sold off your race/guest specific buildings. While you dump kp into the first few techs to open up the next chapters guest race buildings you can re-organize your city.

This is exactly what I did when I completed Dwarves.
I wish I had done before and after screen shots.
My city is much better organized now.
Shortly after doing that I did what Soggy said.
Added tech and map expansions at the same time.

The timing also worked out just in time for the Tree Quest.
I was able to use that empty space to spam out a bunch of WS,
which is why I was able to have the quest done the second day.

win / win / win

Also; Someone mentioned eliminating old culture
That is something everyone should do periodically.
This game is all about using space efficiently..

DeletedUser3696

If you time it right, getting an expansion from the world map at the same time you get one from a tech it can really help.
I find I need a lot more than 2 free expansions to easily re-configure my city. Having 4+ or like 10 (after finishing a chapter) makes life soooo much easier. You can even put buildings in a location where their eventual upgrade still allows them to fit nicely by leaving a row/column or two for that upgrading.

Deleted User - 1178646

I can quite often get away with 1 or 2 expansions, but it's more like solving a rubiks cube since you are moving buildings/streets many many times including buildings that are totally unrelated just to get the room to move that 1 building to get it where you want it because of the severely restricted room.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
Trying to time your expansions to arrive just before a tech that gives new buildings or changes their size is also handy People often fill their empty space and then struggle to re-arrange. While if you can get that space just at the time it is needed your less likely to fill it with permanent things until the rearrange happens.

Risen Malchiah

I am guilty of this. I tend to place or upgrade a building to a larger size and *then* realize I need to rearrange stuff. I end up cancelling the building until after everything's moved around.