• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Recruiting Frustrations

Thistleknot

I'm the recruiter for my fellowship. On our page, it currently states that you should be able to produce Tier 2 goods, have a score of 1000 points, and to send an email to me. The first two requirements could easily be misunderstood by a new player. Not everyone knows what a Tier 2 good is. Not everyone knows how to check their score. But I think everyone should be able to understand sending an email. This just let's me know that someone is actually interested in joining. Also it shows that you might have read the information about the fellowship and understand what will be required of you.

As far as the point requirement, I use this as a scale to see if someone has been playing for at least a little bit. The 1000 point scale means that the player has spent some time playing and has probably made it through most of chapter 2. Hopefully this is an indication that the person is interested in playing the game long-term.

I understand the concern about having someone join a fellowship that is significantly less advanced than the rest of the group. But if you're requiring people to have a score of 10K or more, you will have very few applicants if any. Most people that have those scores are either already in a fellowship or do not want to be in a fellowship, assuming that the player is active. And determining if someone is active is the hardest part of actively searching for new members.

Tauriel Dragonwood

I welcome all elves and humans to join our fellowship. Whether they be old or new, turning them away would not be the right thing to do. I'm not interested in ranking points, just having fun. It must be frustrating for someone new to Elvenar to constantly have their application chewed up by a Cerberus or set on fire by a dragon. I've been here since Elvenar was discovered and still accepting new players. How time flies when you're having fun.

DeletedUser3468

I can think of a couple Fellowships that I wouldn't be a part of if they hadn't been willing to take on an apparent "newbie". The archmages of those Fellowships had no way to know that I was an experienced player in other worlds unless they bothered to check my name on all of them... (pre ElvenStats). But they took a chance on me even though I was only in chapter 2 and found that I was a daily player and loved helping with tournements etc. Just sayin'... ;)

Oh and we'd love to take on even newbies in Arendyll! We'll help train 'em up and get them off to a good start, and,hopefully, the best of them will stick with us! :D

edited to add: We'll also take newbies in Sinya Arda if they aren't already hooked on diamonds! (no, we have nothing against diamond players! We wouldn't have a game to play without them, after all!) :p

DeletedUser5521

I must be a terrible archmage because I take members that are ACTIVE.
Not taking your self-deprecating comment seriously, but I believe what makes a good Archmage is knowing your FS, and (hopefully) knowing what will work best for your group. Not all FS's can nor should take brand new cities that proudly sport a res, an outhouse, and a twig. :p There are enough groups that advertise themselves as "learning" or "training" fellowships, and these are great places for beginners to start. Trades are usually consistent, and usually there are many 10-100 size trades, which really help a newer, smaller player, but not so much an established player. I've been in FS's where there is no minimum point requirement, and and AM of 1 on Beta. It works for us there. In my 3 live worlds, I'm in groups with minimum point requirements, and that works for us in those groups. It's not a knock on anyone to put in that requirement, it's there because the AM thinks it will help to bring in a new member who will be able to fit in with everyone else and provide the kinds of trades the group is generally looking for. I know we were all noobs once, and someone gave us a chance. And I don't see that ever changing, just like I don't see those day old players with their cute little baby villages taking the time to read that which we so thoughtfully worded on our cover pages to describe our ideal member. I would so love to be proven wrong there, but...well. I just don't see it changing without a filtering system (and THAT I don't see as much of a priority to The Powers That Be) :rolleyes:

Tauriel Dragonwood

All Fellowships are different. It doesn't make you a terrible ArchMage because you only take members that are active. Our fellowship has had new recruits with us longer than experienced players who have been playing for many years. I post a message to those who are inactive and wait a few weeks for a response before expelling them from our fellowship but always remind them: Have no fear for you will always be welcomed here. It makes me sad to lose them. It’s nice to visit Elvenar but after all, it is a game. The real world is where you make your fortune and fame. Sometimes you just have to put games on the back burner for a while.

What annoys me are the ones that just leave without saying goodbye. It's just a game but you are playing with live people from all over the world. It shows kindness and gratitude for all the help received from your fellow team mates when you say goodbye. And shows you have good moral fiber.

edeba

If you are short on a good, then you want a higher level player, but if things aren't too bad, level doesn't matter, and as Soggy says, a lower level player can be really cheap tournament support as their provinces are way cheaper.

But there are tons that I think by the time you get around to checking them, they've already quit the game... They are trying the game out and it directs them to try and join a fellowship.

It would be a nice feature to block applications below a certain chapter, as I would block applications below chapter 3 or 4. At least if they get that far you know they are playing.

If you only consider the tourney possibilities, you are right, but a large fellowship DOES have goods balancing issues and when you are consistently lacking Magic Dust for instance, not because of raw player numbers, but because of relative size and production differences, you'd have to be out of your mind to accept a player who is nowhere near large enuff to provide any help at all anytime in the next year! Bigger fellowships have much bigger appetites, in a tourney that requires lots of Dust we go thru well over 100k in Dust! Those of us who are primarily fighters go thru less, but lots of folks cater more than they fight and that doesn't even take into consideration the research, upgrades and other demands. Someone who can't possibly provide even a smidgen of that need is just not an option...it isn't their fault, it is just how the game works. I am very dedicated to keeping my folks fed! The availability issue is not quite what it seems when you only look at free players: plenty of folks are uncomfortable in their current fellowships for a wide variety of reasons. They may be oversized, bad personality fits, dissatisfaction with tourneys or trading...most of the time I either spot a likely candidate or they come knocking on their own.

edeba

That's a great idea, to be able to get an ingame stats on an applicant, click on their name and get a different pop-up that gives score, chapter, I really like the last 4 tournaments, boosts, expansions... Now you know if you want to put the time into actually visiting them.

When you apply, the application automatically shows your boosts and your chapter?
When you apply, it shows your last 4 tournament scores, and your last FA rank?
Players could put a flag or other icon that says "looking for fellowship"?
Archmage could see "last login" for players not in a fellowship?

Again, lots of stuff Elvenstats is doing, but lots of other games implement these sorts of things pretty easily and readily.

DeletedUser1108

I think what you missed was my saying that many an FS lies on their front page so it is not surprising that people ignore them.

For example look at the last page of members of your own FS on F world

An FS that insist everyone be 200K
That 200k was a guideline for what the current recruiting need was rather than a fellowship minimum - there is nothing in the wording that says it is a fellowship requirement, simply a current recruiting need in order to obtain the level of production currently needed.

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
That 200k was a guideline for what the current recruiting need was rather than a fellowship minimum - there is nothing in the wording that says it is a fellowship requirement, simply a current recruiting need in order to obtain the level of production currently needed.

I see
You need to recruit people who will make up for your slackers

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
I see
You need to recruit people who will make up for your slackers
Or maybe they just don't have the right mix of factories to be balanced, but like all their existing players? We don't have any slacker issue, but don't have enough crystal boosted players. Should we try to find one high-level crystal-boosted player to join us, or randomly kick out a few members so we can recruit a better mix of factories?

DeletedUser8187

I've been trying since March break to get some new members with no luck. We're ranked around 115, which isn't too bad. Its frustrating, but also a bit depressing. Think I'll take a break and try again later. We are in the W world.

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
I find the debate about ranking points pretty funny :rolleyes: Why does the "it is part of the challenge of the game" apply to every other aspect but not ranking? That is something that has been one of the challenges for me and a whole lot of other players always. There is so much stern advice about all the other challenges so why not ranking? If a player decides to basically ignore this aspect/challenge in the game it doesn't mean they are a better player any more than somebody who doesn't use space efficiently. That does not mean the game is broken or wrong. It simply mean some players made a choice to sacrifice ranking for other goals. Personally I prefer to try to balance all of the challenges not just a few, except for maybe battling. I still don't like battling so I have to balance that dislike with goods if I want to do well in tournaments.

The other thing is that in my experience it is better to be in a FS with a similar range of ranking. I and a few players I talk to have tried leaving high ranking FS and joining smaller FS. To play this game with lower ranking players has some definite sacrifices. It is close to impossible to do well for tournaments, FA, & trades, to name a few drawbacks. It does feel good to help newbies but it gets kind of lonely at the top in some respects. Again, that is a choice to be weighed against the challenges in the game.

hvariidh gwendrot

as a newer player working my way up i find it shortsighted for clans to not take in active new players .. in all games i play i would not join a clan or fellowship or whatever the game calls it that will not take and train up players .. elitist can go pound sand