• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Reduce the time needed to do the tournament

Alistaire

I remember another thread discussing this idea. Were you the person who started that thread? At the time I thought it was a bad idea. If you did start it, I freely admit I was wrong. If not, I still freely admit I was wrong. A check box like in the workshop dialog would work. If you have already chosen some troops, perhaps checking it could fill in the remaining troops with your last choice. That was also someone's suggestion in the other thread. Wish I knew the names to give credit where credit is due.
I was involved in that idea being discussed before but I don't remember if it was someone else's thread or one of the ones I posted. And yes, exactly, something as small as that checkmark thing would be great; a lot of people only ever use 1 troop type.

Deleted User - 1178646

This is one of the better ideas that I like,

Maybe we can also have somekind of mode to lock a certain producing unit like for example the barrcks, mercenary camp or training grounds so we do not have to switch trough them all the time.

By far the best thing I would like is to be able to set up a custom 5 squad selection menu.
somthing like this, each time each tournament you can setup the mist ideal setup of troops you like to uise that tournament.

You never use more than 5 types of units during any tournament.

This would save you a ton of clicks navigating trough the various troop sources.
1584177070715.png

Finally we are getting to QoL points that do not significantly alter how the tournament works but improves it's presentation.
I like any QoL change as long as it doesn't alter the tournaments itself (like removing fights)

Yogi Dave

Maybe we can also have somekind of mode to lock a certain producing unit like for example the barrcks, mercenary camp or training grounds so we do not have to switch trough them all the time.

By far the best thing I would like is to be able to set up a custom 5 squad selection menu.
somthing like this, each time each tournament you can setup the mist ideal setup of troops you like to uise that tournament.
I like these two ideas a lot. I tend to use more troops from the merc. camp more than the others, so not having to switch to that building would be great. There also seems to be a favorite troop setup I use time and again, like 3 orc strats in the middle and 2 frogs on the outside. It'd be nice to have that selection set, especially since they come from two different buildings.

In the hopes of not being too greedy, having the checkbox to let you choose 5 of the same is still useful at reducing clicks. 5 of the same troops is always preferred since it confuses the computer less in how to coordinate them. Maybe a quarter of the battles are done that way, but which troop it is changes. As an example there are the battles where the enemy is just one stack which may be any of their three types. I'll always use a single troop type in that case, but probably a different selection against each one. For example in elixir, Frogs against just LM, Orc strategists against LR, and blossom mages against HM.

Finally we are getting to QoL points that do not significantly alter how the tournament works but improves it's presentation.
I like any QoL change as long as it doesn't alter the tournaments itself (like removing fights)
This is a very important point. The tourney is a very delicate balance. It certainly isn't optimal, but I think optimal is just a myth. If you improve it one way, it weakens it another. Reducing from 8 to 4 battles in tourneys was just before my time, but wow that must have been a pain. The game has evolved so more people are doing more provs so reducing the number of battles sounds good on the surface, but the problem comes in with less control over what a loss cost in troops.

DeletedUser19458

I like the tournies how they are ... even when I run 30+ provinces - yeah it takes time but I can also just play less if I don't have time! If anything, would love to see @CrazyWizard idea of a customer tab. I was thinking .. just show me all 15 troops at once so I don't have to scroll using the tiniest little scroll button. A custom tab would work well too.

I do them on mobile as it's so much faster. I wouldn't oppose a 'select 5' button because I can just not use it, but I bet I can do 5 taps faster then you can find and click that button and then click your troop type. 5 taps doesn't really bother me .. as long as I'm playing mobile :)

Yogi Dave

I beginning to see the birth of a new foundation. The Save the Clicks and Taps Foundation
We need to keep in mind that mobile and browser developers are different groups. Brainstorming like this doesn't matter a whole lot which we are talking about, but when the ideas coalesce into something, that does become important for presentation.

Deleted User - 1178646

In the hopes of not being too greedy, having the checkbox to let you choose 5 of the same is still useful at reducing clicks. 5 of the same troops is always preferred since it confuses the computer less in how to coordinate them.
I second that!

yeah when telling a player how to play this is my basic advise, stop using different troops use 5x the same and your performance will improve.
But a custom tab would be good not only for auto battlers but also for manual ones.

The steel tournament is my "cheat" tournament where I build up bonus troops by doing many battles (semi) manually, this way I get a week of troop production for free for other tournaments. the biggest pain is switching between production units.
having a custom tab where you can weekly modify it's contents would be awesome.

btw nothing prevents both options to be introduced at once.
As for 15 units on 1 page, that would work for the browser, but not for mobile where the screen size is premium real estate.

There are also some caviats tot the 5x the same rule. some troops within the same league work very well.
For example a combination of golems and frog princes or a combination of golems and ork strategist. as long as you stick with 5x the same type of unit you can get some great results without the drawback. especially golem/strategist works well.

Yogi Dave

my basic advice, top using different troops use 5x the same and your performance will improve
Same here, especially with auto-fight.
especially golem/strategist works well
Human, so frog/strats for me, but yes. The computer doesn't do as bad a job when the troops are the same type, just from different buildings. So very much to fighting well in manual. There is a learning curve to climb. Practice (which means lose over and over) in the lower provs if you want to learn. Too many start fighting when catering gets high. Therefore they quickly lose troops and heart.

NightshadeCS

I like the ideas to reduce clicks on the tournament.

This is very side notey, but they did reduce the tournament encounters from 8 to 4 a couple of years ago. Some of you have probably joined since then and didn't know that it used to be TWICE as time-consuming. ;)

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One

This is very side notey, but they did reduce the tournament encounters from 8 to 4 a couple of years ago. Some of you have probably joined since then and didn't know that it used to be TWICE as time-consuming.

It is funny that I do not remember that change, but I do remember when it was changed from having to work with your map neighbors to working with your fellowship members to earn the rewards. Was it dropped from 8 to 4 at the same time?

Deleted User - 1178646

This is very side notey, but they did reduce the tournament encounters from 8 to 4 a couple of years ago. Some of you have probably joined since then and didn't know that it used to be TWICE as time-consuming. ;)

this was also the time you only fought 14 provincies and won the tournament, and the time you did it all manually to reach that 14.
So more like 10-20x as time consuming
You can't compare it with today.

When it started the starting levels were too high. a lot got modified.
You also needed 400.000 points for 10 chests.
1584219065368.png
The points were different and each of the 25 players needed to complete between 10 and 11 provincies 6 rounds, but when you consider that to win a tournament you only needed 14 provinces you can imagine how difficult that was to reach. only some eastern block server(s) (i thought 2) managed to achieve that feat.

I no longer know how the enemy power was decided, but I think it was a lot harder than today, considering we did it all manually and never even considered tot do it on autocombat.

As for @Enevhar Aldarion question, I no longer know that, and am to lazy look around all the announcements and update logs from around that time.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser16929

i second the second thing, unless someone else did already, then i will third the second thing and i am not sure about the first thing
orbiting high above the earth's mantle................................................................................... sputnik9009

Yogi Dave

That is an amazing spoiler glimpse into the past pic. I think I started the game shortly after the big tourney change. The FSs were just beginning to see the value of cooperative tourney play. It seemed strange to me they hadn't seen that until I learned it was a new thing.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
While it is frustrating to see it every time and you have to do the extra click, it at least has a function
It's function could be twofold if beside the "return to province" button was a "Next battle" button
It is funny that I do not remember that change, but I do remember when it was changed from having to work with your map neighbors to working with your fellowship members to earn the rewards. Was it dropped from 8 to 4 at the same time?
Not exactly, but not long after. Change to fellowship was v1.21 in Jan 2017 (A few months after I began playing) the encounters were cut in half quantity-wise, but kept the same overall strength about 2 months later in v1.25

AtaguS

You get to see how many troops you lost and pay diamonds to have them healed. If you can't see your cost in troops how can you determine if your choice was wise or you just barely won? While it is frustrating to see it every time and you have to do the extra click, it at least has a function and I'm not talking about the diamond spending, although I use the diamond cost as my gage in how well I did since it relates to total troop loss, not portion of stack.
Well put, and I did come around to that thought after posting the previous...the click will annoy some more than others. I auto-fight everything and don't spend too much time thinking or re-thinking my combos for each tournament so the info is extra for me. But...have to admit this extra click is likely better left in as a feature for tourney players with far more interest in the fighting aspect.

qaccy

this was also the time you only fought 14 provincies and won the tournament, and the time you did it all manually to reach that 14.
So more like 10-20x as time consuming
You can't compare it with today.

The points were different and each of the 25 players needed to complete between 10 and 11 provincies 6 rounds, but when you consider that to win a tournament you only needed 14 provinces you can imagine how difficult that was to reach. only some eastern block server(s) (i thought 2) managed to achieve that feat.

I no longer know how the enemy power was decided, but I think it was a lot harder than today, considering we did it all manually and never even considered tot do it on autocombat.

As for @Enevhar Aldarion question, I no longer know that, and am to lazy look around all the announcements and update logs from around that time.

To add on to this, we were fighting against mixes of human and elven (barracks) units back then (seeing Barbarians, Golems, and Paladins as enemies instead of Thieves, Steinlings and Knights for example), matches were always 5 squads vs 5 squads, and the balance for units between races was...well, let's just say that elves had it much easier than humans did. We also had far fewer options regarding unit boosts, due to many of them not even existing yet and AW levels being (capped) far lower than they are today. Even with all these conditions making it a lot more favorable to fight manually than it is today (for advanced players, anyway), I've still always relied on auto-battle simply because I never wanted to spend 3 hours clearing a single tournament round across all of my provinces. Elvenar's battle system simply doesn't play out quickly enough, and the battles are too numerous, for it to really be feasible for anyone who has other things to do with their day. For what it's worth, I did cater a lot more back in those days because of the significantly higher losses caused by auto battling, but I definitely preferred that to spending even more time on the tournament than I already was.

Yogi Dave

The oral tradition:
Some of you have probably joined since then ...
It is funny that I do not remember that change, but I do remember when ...
this was also the time you only fought 14 provincies
A few months after I began playing ...
… we were fighting against mixes of human and elven (barracks) units back then ...
I love hearing the stories of back when the world was young from the 'old timers', of back when all you had were stone knives and bearskins.

Xelenia

Ex-Team Member
I see two pages of discussions but no presentation on the initial post. There is always eyes out to make tournament experience better given how the gaming experience has changed a bit lately due to some of the enhanced evolving buildings players have increased.

If there is no further attempt on making something presentable out of this suggestion, I will achieve it in a week.

Xelenia

Palavyn

Here's a first shot at a summary of enhancements to tournaments unless it's too late:

1) CrazyWizard's idea of a custom set of troops for the tournament:

2) After completing a fight, in addition to the "return to province" button, add a "next fight" button, or if all fights in the province are completed, a "return to world map" button and a "next province" button.

3) An option to immediately select 5 of the same troop type or fill all remaining empty slots with that troop type, perhaps by tapping on the upper left of the icon.

4) A warning window if you attempt to enter a fight with less than 5 units selected.

5) An option to cater an entire province, or all remaining encounters in the province, with just one click.