• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Reduce the time needed to do the tournament

Palavyn

At this point in the game, I'm able to do about 30 provinces in the tournament. Because of so much repetition, it's starting to be less and less fun.

You could cut the number of provinces we can do in half, but double the troop counts, catering costs, points, and rewards. For example, even-numbered provinces are eliminated. But when we finish the first province, we get the rewards that we'd normally receive for both 1 and 2. Completing 3 nets the rewards for 3 and 4, and so on. The general idea is to cut in half the amount of time spent on the tournament while preserving the overall effect.

CrazyWizard

Oh Wise One
The best way to reduce time is to play less provinces, no one exept yourself forces you to play 30-40-50-70+ provinces.

The problem with your idea is that soon enough you will do more provinces and then you hit the same barrier again.

I still remember when we went from 8 to 4 fights, as a result we started to play more provinces instead.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
What about those who are just starting out in tourneys and only have, say, three or four provinces opened in that particular tourney? Perhaps you could explain why your idea would not make it more difficult for them. I just fear that newbies would get turned off by tourneys if they cost double and never bother with them again ... sort of like I've been turned off of the spire because of early losses there. What are the advantages overall?

AtaguS

The general idea is to cut in half the amount of time spent on the tournament while preserving the overall effect
I recall reading in a different discussion somewhere that a good way to improve the tournament would be to cut down on the excessive clicking...clicking to scroll through tabs to choose troops, clicking to fight, fight, then fight, to accept the accolades, to accept the completed province. I think I'd rather see a change like that, which would cut down on overall time spent and maybe bring back some of the fun for you.
I go for the KP in tournies, as well as enjoying the process of my fs trying to get ourselves to the next chest. We are still a growing group of cities so we get very excited as we go all in to win the elusive next chest. Sometimes I hit a target world ranking and go for it. Just saying...there are still a variety of positives to be found in the tournies.

CrazyWizard

Oh Wise One
I would love to see that change as well,

I hate doing tournaments on mobile because with my setup I constantly have to reopen the list. (I tourney with 0 waiting time and thats a bit borked on mobile, each time you finish a fight it returns to the 1st province even it thats totally completed so you constantly have to open and select provincie 40,41, 42 ect 6 times per province.)
With proper waiting time it works marvelous except for round 6, where it contantly returns to province 1.

On the browser it works excellent as I stay with the same province and can do all 6 rounds in a row before I have to open the window to the next province, this saves a tremendous amount of time,
This way I can do about 20 provincies 6 rounds in 1 hour.

So I am all in for this idea to make it similar to mobile, but then without the same issues (round 6 and 0 waiting time return issues)

AtaguS

So I am all in for this idea to make it similar to mobile
Perhaps I should try it on mobile today and see what you mean, it sounds way better. So many clicks could be eliminated simply by bringing the player to the next fight and/or province and giving them the option to opt out (by closing the window and going old school manual), rather than the constant demand to opt in.

Palavyn

What about those who are just starting out in tourneys and only have, say, three or four provinces opened in that particular tourney? Perhaps you could explain why your idea would not make it more difficult for them. I just fear that newbies would get turned off by tourneys if they cost double and never bother with them again ... sort of like I've been turned off of the spire because of early losses there. What are the advantages overall?
If you only have a small number of provinces open, the change would be great for you. You do province 1 (at double cost, NOT double difficulty) and get all the rewards for both province 1 and 2. Since province 1 is easier than 2, you get a bit more reward per expense. If you have 3 provinces open, then you do 1 and 3 and get rewarded as if you had 4 provinces open.

Palavyn

The best way to reduce time is to play less provinces, no one exept yourself forces you to play 30-40-50-70+ provinces.

The problem with your idea is that soon enough you will do more provinces and then you hit the same barrier again.

I still remember when we went from 8 to 4 fights, as a result we started to play more provinces instead.

By your logic, the best solution is for me to quit the game. After all, no one except myself forces me to play!

btw, isn't playing more provinces GOOD?

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
If you only have a small number of provinces open, the change would be great for you. You do province 1 (at double cost, NOT double difficulty) and get all the rewards for both province 1 and 2. Since province 1 is easier than 2, you get a bit more reward per expense. If you have 3 provinces open, then you do 1 and 3 and get rewarded as if you had 4 provinces open.
Now I understand what you mean; thank you for clarifying. I still believe that the devs would never do this unless it benefited most, rather than a few, players. Very few people (at least from my perspective) do 30 or more provinces per tourney. If most did that, then the vast majority of fellowships would be getting 10 chests. I don't know what "average" is, but for the fellowships I've researched (maybe 50 of the better ones on my world; I'm competitive so I've only looked at the better half of the ranks), the average is about 5 chests per tourney, with the average fs member only completing 5 or 6 provinces, or even less. So I don't think this is a task that devs would find particularly compelling, considering the more important issues out there, ie, getting kp wonder donations live on mobile. But I can understand the tedium when you reach that level, so I can sympathize.

CrazyWizard

Oh Wise One
By your logic, the best solution is for me to quit the game. After all, no one except myself forces me to play!

btw, isn't playing more provinces GOOD?

I imply you should enjoy the game,
If there is a part of the game you (no longer) like, you should reevaluate it.
Making it "easier" by cutting it in half won't make it more fun,you soon might find it boring again with another cut in half. and by the end the preffered choice is here are my units just tell me how much you will do with it.

It;s very similar to the "I have no space issue I need more expansions" that we have seen, giving that player 100 more expansions does not solve the problem. it just pushes the problem ahead and away for a little while untill the same issue comes up again.

maybe you can come up with way's to make it more fun by adding something, a new option of feature thats feasable, fun but not easier.

Palavyn

I recall reading in a different discussion somewhere that a good way to improve the tournament would be to cut down on the excessive clicking...clicking to scroll through tabs to choose troops, clicking to fight, fight, then fight, to accept the accolades, to accept the completed province. I think I'd rather see a change like that, which would cut down on overall time spent and maybe bring back some of the fun for you.
I go for the KP in tournies, as well as enjoying the process of my fs trying to get ourselves to the next chest. We are still a growing group of cities so we get very excited as we go all in to win the elusive next chest. Sometimes I hit a target world ranking and go for it. Just saying...there are still a variety of positives to be found in the tournies.
That would help a LOT. You cater or win a battle in the tournament and it automatically goes to the next. When you complete a tournament, make it an option to simply exit to the world map without clicking the reward screen. Add an option to use the same troop setup as the previous battle. Remember which set of troops we were on, and keep it there.

AtaguS

@Palavyn Exactly. And what is this "Return to Province" click about? Yes, yes...obviously I don't want to hang about here all day looking at 3 completed tournies. Lol That whole process could use some streamlining for sure.

DeletedUser2870

Opposed to this as it will make it much harder for beginning players.
I completely understand the frustration, I find the repetition boring as well for doing large amounts of provinces in the tourney. But that is no reason to screw it up for other players.
Especially since a lot of the more advanced players will have that fully evolved fire-phoenix and fully evolved brown bear to replenish troops as a faster rate, whereas beginning players will struggle to get enough troops. Like in my secondary city that is only in chapter 5 and has a lo of trouble forming full squads in the Spire and so has to stop (way) sooner than I'd like. I'd really hate to see that happen in the tourney as well

It sure as heck would be helpful if the browser would, just as the app, automatically have one focus on the next province in line, so one doesn't have to go through the tabs.
Better yet, add an option one can turn on or off. When turned on, collecting the reward from the tourney province it will automatically send you into the next province available. That will prevent a lot of clicking.

(edited for typo's)

Last edited by a moderator:

qaccy

I'd like to see tournaments made 'easier' as far as clicking/tapping goes as well. The nitty gritty of it is that a single province takes me anywhere up to 42 clicks/taps to fight through, depending on whether I get to select troops from the Barracks or have to select the Mercenary Camp or Training Grounds. As more provinces are unlocked/completed, as well as more rounds, this number only grows. I'm to the point now where a tournament takes me over 10,000 clicks/taps to complete, with each round taking anywhere from half to a full hour to work through. This is on auto-battle as well; I can't even fathom how long it would take to fight manually on PC.

What I'd like to see is pretty simple: Reduce each province to a single encounter per round. Adjust costs/squad sizes to balance the change. If possible, make the encounter available straight from the world map as well; there'd be little need to open the province map if there's only one encounter on it, and this would further streamline the experience. Perhaps not possible from a technical standpoint, but I wanted to mention it! In any case, having only a single encounter per province would immediately cut around 75% of the clicking/tapping needed to complete it, and that's something that I think any player can appreciate.

Yogi Dave

Reduce each province to a single encounter per round. Adjust costs/squad sizes to balance the change.
This was discussed in beta. The problem as I see it is with losing a battle that takes 4 times the number of troops as it currently would. People argued it would average out in the long run. Over a huge sample space, yes, but not over a small one which is what most people do in tournaments. Say 1000 points is the average. That's 6 provs to 4 stars and one to 2 stars. That's only 26 battles when reduced to one battle per prov. and therefore would have a large statistical variance which would be devastating to many players if they lost a couple in a row. That removes the ability to cater the one encounter that would kick my butt and auto-fight the other 3. If at the level where 1000 points is a stretch, catering the whole thing could bankrupt me or remove all my troops. Where I am, if it was prov 40, my squad size would be 8 times my world prov squad size. With 5 stacks, that's 40 squads. Losing that battle would be a huge setback even for me. I'd only lose that many troops if I lost 4 times in a row as it currently is. I'd change tactics before that happened. So, I'm against changing the prov to be only one fight. It would help a small set of players I'm sure, but I don't think it would help the vast majority of them. In many ways, I'd like it to be just one battle a prov since I like the challenge of the manual fight, but you don't get the KPs or the ranking point rewards doing a lot of manual fights. I love that the spire gives me those triple-wave battles. That's a challenge, but an entirely different topic.
The general idea is to cut in half the amount of time spent on the tournament while preserving the overall effect.
The concept of still having 4 battles per prov at the cost of two provs, but only half the provs is more appealing. It still puts more eggs in one basket, but I'm in better control of if they get smashed or not.

qaccy

@Yogi Dave These are fair points, but I'd like to suggest that anyone who regularly fights in tournaments and clears a lot of provinces already has a pretty good idea of which fights to skip before they see a defeat screen pop up. On the subject of catering, perhaps any adjustments could also come with implementing the diplomacy minigame in tournaments as well. Costs aside, tournaments are certainly dated in that regard, having made no changes to accomodate new resources with the exception of Orcs. Some will probably beat me over the head for saying this, but even as someone who avoids catering as much as possible, I wouldn't mind including all the new resources along with the diplomacy feature, or even just as possible options for catering, in order to shift the focus away from just t1-3 goods and Orcs a little.

In any case, I'm ultimately not too concerned with what the numbers look like. I just look at how the Spire doesn't even take me more than a few minutes to clear, whereas a tournament can take me up to 6 hours per week, and would like to see that number brought, hopefully significantly, down.

Yogi Dave

At the very least since most fights are best fought with 5x the same troop a button to set 5 of the same troop with 1 click instead of 5 would help without changing how things work.
I remember another thread discussing this idea. Were you the person who started that thread? At the time I thought it was a bad idea. If you did start it, I freely admit I was wrong. If not, I still freely admit I was wrong. A check box like in the workshop dialog would work. If you have already chosen some troops, perhaps checking it could fill in the remaining troops with your last choice. That was also someone's suggestion in the other thread. Wish I knew the names to give credit where credit is due.

Yogi Dave

And what is this "Return to Province" click about?
You get to see how many troops you lost and pay diamonds to have them healed. If you can't see your cost in troops how can you determine if your choice was wise or you just barely won? While it is frustrating to see it every time and you have to do the extra click, it at least has a function and I'm not talking about the diamond spending, although I use the diamond cost as my gage in how well I did since it relates to total troop loss, not portion of stack.