• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Reflections on Set Buildings

DeletedUser1390

Reflecting on the Phoenix Cult event, I would like to suggest for the future it would be better not to have all the Grand Prize (or more than one of them really) be Set Buildings.

The Set Buildings in this event focussed on goods and supplies production, which is probably helpful for newer players but not of much use to those in later chapters. OK, if you want to target the Set bonuses toward newer players this time, fair enough; fortunately the Grand Prizes are very good culture and culture/pop buildings in their own right even without the Set bonuses.

The problem comes though in the requirement that they be connected to a road. I and many others have our cities set up with culture buildings in a district with no roads, since they don't need them. I would love to replace some of them with these new, superior prize buildings, using the latter just for their culture and population. But I cannot do this without getting the horrible Connection Broken icon. Solely because of these bonuses that are of no use to me.

So if all the Grand Prizes are Set Buildings, they should be possible to place unconnected without an ugly red sign over them in perpetuity. Perhaps they could have a no-production warning message if you place them off road, like the one they have now about the timer reset if you move them once placed. Ideally I think actually all culture+production Event Buildings should work this way, but at the very least the Set Buildings should if they are Grand Prizes. Or if this is not possible (though I believe you can do it! you really can!!) then there should be 0-1 Set Buildings among the Grand Prizes as in previous events.

DeletedUser9601

The Set Buildings in this event focussed on goods and supplies production, which is probably helpful for newer players but not of much use to those in later chapters

I think what I struggle with the most is figuring out exactly how useful those bonuses are to later chapter players. I get 22K supplies every day from my Ice Mountain Troll, and that is actually really efficient in S&D (when compared to the pop/culture space required to support an equivalent workshop). But its hard to quantify how efficient (especially compared to the usual pop-culture math). I think if someone made a very math-intensive chart of the per-square value of tier 1, 2 and 3 goods, we'd see that some of these set buildings are actually pretty nice for later chapter players. Maybe a "slow day in the summer project"...

But I cannot do this without getting the horrible Connection Broken icon. Solely because of these bonuses that are of no use to me.
Great point, though I don't see an easy solution. On one hand, you need the icon because it can be hard to confirm connectivity in tight quarters. You also want to be cognizant of newer players, or players who are experienced, but don't use the forums or third-party sites much. A one-time alert is pretty good, but then you're clicking through that alert every time you're re-organizing your city (which could get to be very annoying).