• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Release notes version 1.5

DeletedUser1122

Level 1 Tournament provinces 5 & 7. I had no troops register so I couldn't fight. I forked over the goods for province 5, fought province 6 and stopped at province 7 when the no troop screen showed up again.
I just discovered that I can use auto-fight on almost all my tournament battles
Thank you so much for the tip. It worked great on level 1 tournament provinces. It reduced the boredem/clicks all the way up to intolerably.

"From a game balance point of view, the Tournaments are designed to CONSUME resources, not produce them.
Tournaments are a pastime, in the most literal sense of the word."

Truer words were never spoken by this avatar.

DeletedUser594

There was a surprising latitude in ability to auto-fight especially with Blessed Paladin and Granite Golem. I could autofight the majority of battles unless the enemy line up was particularly unsuited to my BP or GG. I was leaving most battles with all 5 squads intact- in some cases just a few dings of 2-3 health points. There was a turning point around level 3 where auto became less effective but I never saw round 4 to get a sense of just how far one could ride auto.
I don't get the choice of stopping play right when everyone has a day off to give it some attention. I would think wed-sun or something like that would get more involved.
I like that fighting brings your troop levels to a set point to level the playing field. You still get an advantage with advanced troops which is ok- long term play should have some perks so long as rank doesn't ossify and players have a chance to scrap their way up.

Does anyone have a handle on how catering costs are calculated? I heard rumor of increased cost based on city size? How are they working to keep parity between players there?

DeletedUser61

Does anyone have a handle on how catering costs are calculated?
Your Squad Size technology, rather than your city size, seems to be the controlling factor. Assuming that the equations will prove out to be similar to regular sectors, which appears to be the case:
  • Nearby to Distant sectors are medium easy to medium hard, which is achieved by tinkering with your squad size
  • You're fighting down a chapter in the nearby sectors, and you'll get more advanced troops in the more distant sectors.
  • You'll have a 10% advantage on squad sizes, if you have enough squads
  • The unweighted troops * Squads is linear with the number of squads. The army with the most squads will have the most troop. The enemy squads don't hit as hard, and they die easier, but your units will take more hits per turn. More squads required different tactics, but the actual difficulty remains about the same.
  • They're still fiddling with Catering Costs, but even in the normal sectors the Negotiation Costs can vary by a factor of FOUR. The formula I've been using is detailed at https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/battle-troop-training-costs.2435/#post-14667
  • You'd be crazy to either always Cater or always Fight. Cater the cheap encounters, Fight the expensive ones.
And of course you're fighting both Human and Elven Troops, so you're up against Golems and Paladins, plus different types of Relics require different tactics and you'll get LOTS of opportunities to refine your tactics.

As well you can imagine, I have a few Tournament experiments on my honey do list.

maeter75

The tournaments are a lot of fun, did my first one. thanks developers I think it is a fun addition for those Providences I already beat. I really like the squad size is scaled back so I dont' have to worry about losing so much of my army.

DeletedUser2737

Completed the Research Tree item. Did not get a tournament icon.

DeletedUser43

Log out of the game and log back in Slapdonius. You should see the icon on the world map. The current tournament is over so you won't see any tournament sectors until the next one starts in less than 2 days. :)

DeletedUser2737

Ah, so it does. I see it shows only on the world map, and not on the world map link icon. I take it that the world map link icon only changes when there is an active tourney.

DeletedUser43

Why isn't the tournament ranking tab available with the info from last week's tourney?

DeletedUser61

Click on the Global Rank. There's a Tournaments tab. It would be nice if you could click one of the icons, and get a list of the actual prizes that were awarded.

DeletedUser43

Click on the Global Rank. There's a Tournaments tab.

Not on my screen there isn't. I have one on beta but not on Arendyll. You have a tab in the US server? Maybe it is because I wasn't here for last week's tournament?

Could we please talk about a very big issue....the TIMING of the tournament for all of us on Pacific time?

Tomorrow morning, bright and early, while most people are at work, and before I normally even wake up the tournament starts. 10am. And if that isn't bad enough, the second round of the tournament starts at 2am. Since I can no longer afford to negotiate I have to fight. Fighting take a lot of time. On beta at least the tournaments start at night for most of the folks. The timing of this is very bad. If you want to advance to all the tournament levels you need to do each level quickly and be ready to go as soon as the next round starts or you don't have enough time. Figure an hour or two to do the fighting....that is 10am-noon on day one. Then 2am-4am on day two???? Really?

Or am I wrong and they changed the length of the time between levels? It is still 16 hours between levels, right?

Of course, no matter what time the tournaments start, you are always going to be treating some players grossly unfairly. If there was more time to be able to get to all the levels, this wouldn't matter. But the timing is so tight that it really is awful to some folks.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser61

But the timing is so tight that it really is awful to some folks.
  • The 16 hour cycle means that everybody can conveniently do 4 levels if they drop by once per day.
  • If somebody wants to thread the needle for all 6 levels, then yeah, they'll need an alarm clock.
It's a bit of a mystery why the developers are avoiding the weekends. There must be something about the demographics, perhaps from other games like FoE, that indicates that 90% of the activity occurs during the first few days, and the "extra days" are just nickel and dime stuff. Whatever the reasoning, it appears to be intentional.

DeletedUser43

• The 16 hour cycle means that everybody can conveniently do 4 levels if they drop by once per day.
  • If somebody wants to thread the needle for all 6 levels, then yeah, they'll need an alarm clock.

Exactly. Awful. No one should need an alarm clock to play a game.

DeletedUser627

They don't want us playing over the weekend because that could make the final 16 hour timers less frustrating - heck, we might actually be able to make Level 6.

They're sticking true to form: offer a goal then frustrate us into paying to reach it.

DeletedUser

My issue is that for real success in the tournaments you need active neighbors who have also unlocked it in the skill tree to participate with. Most of my neighbors are in Chapter 1 and seem to have quit playing. This will be a feature I use for boosted relics if I remember that it's happening at all.

DeletedUser1122

I see players with the mercenary camp constructed. My research tree box still says "coming soon". What is up with that?

DeletedUser61

The two new military units are "coming soon" so the Building itself has no current function other than occupying space.

DeletedUser1016

Speaking of the mercenary camp, which I have researched but have not constructed...is there any ETA for the new troops? I'm just about done with the Fairy Chapter, it's a shame that they are not available before finishing the chapter?