• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Removal of inactive players and trading partners

DeletedUser

Actually Katwijk has a point, the Fellowships do ease a lot of the problems associated with the lose of discovered lands. With the neighborly help from your Fellowship members, your culture bonus should at some point during the day, become maxed, for at least, maybe 4 hours, let's say. That is assuming that all do their jobs and visit daily. That could account for the lost coinage, just will take longer to collect it. Supplies have no role in this discussion, inactives did not visit so that you got the supplies on the return visit. Your Fellowship helps with the trading of goods to keep you well supplied with goods.

That works fine for the, let's say the 15 to 25 member Fellowships. For me, I was in a 4 member Fellowship, lost one member today, think they thought I was not playing anymore, so my Fellowship is now, 3 members. I did not chat that much, but I did chat to be friendly with the members that did chat, and I was online. No one posted trades, the member that left, whenever they did post, I was on it. I am way ahead of the members in my Fellowship, so I made sure that their trades were handled within the Fellowship, as it is suppose to work. I was hoping that my Fellowship would work together and help each other grow their cities, not to be. I view the Fellowships of this game, as I did the alliances of Grepolis, never played FOE like everyone else here, that is why I mentioned Grepolis, know that like the back of my hand, still see the attack warnings. Will let you make your own conclusions of my Fellowship thoughts.

The trades that are listed within my area are the 0 and 1 star range, so I do not trade with the trader. Majority of the offers come from members of the different Fellowships in my area. I patiently produce my own goods, with rarely any help, really miss those coins though.The coinage that I lost during this fiasco/purge, made it possible for ME, to get the goods that I needed from the wholesaler, yes , I got those goods that way, because of the lack of goods available, at a reasonable price, to me, in the trader. Like I said, I really don't know how to play this game, I'm sure the person that told me that can remember saying it to me.

But what really made me do this post, I read the part were Katwijk said that he did not mind if half of the map was empty, as long as it was not his half. Well, my, more than half discovered map is now gone. Really slowing my non money spending game play down. I will continue playing, my way, right or wrong. No sense in getting too upset, just like life, we have setbacks, it's how you cope with the setbacks, that make the person.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser61

I read the part were Katwijk said that he did not mind if half of the map was empty, as long as it was not his half.
The context was that I don't care for the "stuck in one place forever" model. I think cities should move around on the map so that high activity players will move towards the middle, while low activity players will be shuffled off to the fringes of the map.

Score is a sufficient criteria for the map optimization, in my opinion, but I'd be just as happy with several other solutions. For me, the important part is that the map should be optimized in accordance with activity levels, rather than depending blind luck.

DeletedUser

I do mind that half the map is empty. Not just for myself but for everyone who has found that most of their neighbors have disappeared.
I have been looking at numbers of players in both worlds. New people are coming in every day, where they are going is a mystery.

DeletedUser

By now everyone should have figured out that new players are placed on the far right, first. Hope the developers can figure out a way to squeeze everyone closer together, that would seem the only logical conclusion that makes sense to me. Waiting for replacements to fill in empty spaces is not on the table, apparently, may be to costly to implement. Most players are just saying that they have invested so much, in time, coins, supplies, goods and troops to get those deleted inactives. When you have over 30-40 discovered provinces, it becomes more expensive and harder to try and replace them without the help of the developers. The coins do have a role in game play for some and if they did not have a role, we would not get the reward of coins when we visit each discovered province or member visited in your Fellowship. The addition of the Fellowships may be the answer that the developers have given us, on this issue, just not saying it.

Also, I enjoy the game, I am working to get some of the level 15 buildings in my cities, I am on the EN1 server also, and trying to make my cities to look somewhat, like one of the top 100 players cities. I really love looking at the final product, just want to see what it will look like without spending a lot of real money. As long as they do not implement the attack/robbing of cities, they can take their time doing whatever they have to do, to make this a game that everyone can be appreciative of, by logging in, and doing the things they have to do, without unnecessary worries. I have more time than the normal person playing, being retired. I can come and go as I please, I try to be here every 3 hours to collect my goods. I am happy finding and playing Elvenar, and will be involved in every world that the US has from now on.

DeletedUser511

How would people figure out they are placed far right? If so it needs to be random. If it dont get filled fast enough the ones on the left will never see new people.

DeletedUser

I accidentally joined the EN1 server, I was placed on the edge, just happened to be to the right of everyone. Everything to the right of me was empty, nothing or no one was there. From the time I started building my city, players were added, from the top to bottom or vice versa and to the right of me. Now the area that was empty, to my right, is filled as far as the finger can scroll.
I stand corrected, everyone may not know the placement of new players, just something that I observered when I started my second city, which I happen to be losing inactives around also.

DeletedUser511

So you was placed t0o the right but that means everyone should know? When I joined there was people all around me not just to the right. Im not new so I didnt take the place of anyone either.

DeletedUser

I said I stand corrected by your post. That was an error in my post. But now, some may have an idea of where players are being placed.

DeletedUser422

Hehe, Katwijk, your tag at bottom: Certainty about future, is not mental illness, it's called planning ahead...which ironically; you state just above that. Amusing, to say the least.

DeletedUser61

If you visited the lowest ranked (newest) cities for a few days, you'd perhaps be able to discern a pattern, even if most of the new users would be dropped into empty slots. Presumably the algorithm is coordinate driven, but [0,0] may well be in the middle of the map.

But without a dependable coordinates, it would just be an exercise in frustration.

DeletedUser61

Certainty about future, is not mental illness, it's called planning ahead.
If you're willing to settle for Bayesian Probabilities, rather than certainty, then we can agree.

Planning for ONE thing wouldn't be very good planning.

DeletedUser

On when to remove inactive players, what if there was an internal timer that accrued 0.5 hr for each KP you spend and 0.25 hr for each point in your score? Set a minimum value (say, 48 hrs) and let the timer length increase once your kp+score exceeds that, rounding up to the nearest whole number of days (49 hrs = 3 days). The timer would reset whenever you log in and start counting down at midnight after the end of your most recent session. Combine that with increased frequency of clean-outs (maybe weekly, at 4 am Wednesday or whenever the server activity is normally lowest) and we shouldn't see large tracts of land inhabited by tiny ghost towns or great swaths of deletions.

A simpler method would be to make it an exponential function. Sum your score and spent kp, then take the log(base 2) of the result and multiply it by 3. There's your inactivity allowance, in days.

DeletedUser61

There are a number of ways to define inactive, and I'm OK with the current definition:
  • Has not logged on for 30 days AND
  • Has not purchased diamonds AND
  • Has not reach the third section of the tech tree
I'd like to see two related improvements:
  • I'd like to make moving your city a strategically interesting feature of the game, rather than worshiping the Random Number gods.
  • I'd like premium cities and developed cities to be archived (not deleted) after 30 inactive days, rather than staying on the World Map.
  • I'd be comfortable with a weekly batch cycle for removing/archiving inactive players and adding new/returning players.

• If an archived player returned, between the weekly moves, they could rent an apartment in a city that has a similar score.
  • I'd just as soon let the new players rent an apartment as well, until they've researched the Trader, whereupon they'd get a city of their own during the next batch move.
  • The folks who were renting an apartment would be able to visit other cities, and explore the nearby sectors, but they wouldn't get any return visits until they had a city of their own.
TAKEAWAY: We really need a way to consolidate the active players on the World Map, and it would be nice if moving toward the center of the map were a strategically interesting challenge.

DeletedUser

On when to remove inactive players, what if there was an internal timer that accrued 0.5 hr for each KP you spend and 0.25 hr for each point in your score? ......
I'm not sure what formula they used for removing players, I do know that if you spent any diamonds, even if you were inactive you were not removed. I came back from 35 days in Africa and Europe to find most of my neighbors gone. If I had not bought some diamonds myself, I too would have been removed.

What we need is for them to fill up the empty spaces with new players, and to do so fairly so they are distributed equally around the map. I doubt that this is a priority for the developers at this time

DeletedUser511

Equally is right. If its always in the top right then by the time it gets to the bottom left it will be filling up inactives from the top right again. Thats just a dumb way of doing it.