• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Repetition, repetition, repetition or "play it again, and again, Sam"

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
This response was in another post about another subject. It referenced something I said in defense of somebody bringing up a subject already discussed in the past sometime. I've moved my response here so as to not derail that original post.

Thanks, AJ

@ajqtrz all you need to do is look up the posts by member @Pookatan . Zero-star trades are all he talks about. Far from being discouraged from talking about them, he continues to bring up the same subject over and over, without presenting any new information. Which is why I said what I did.

https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?search/207669/

Einstein probably did not say that insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. However, saying the same thing over and over does not make an effective argument either.

You ever wonder why advertisers show the same commercial, "over and over?" Because the audience changes over time and if you want your message to be heard by a wider range of people, you repeat it, over and over. In different forms, different places, and different methods. The average person has to be "touched" by advertising seven times before they'll remember the name of the company doing the advertising. So, while I respect that you think "saying the same thing over and over does not make effective argument," it does make the argument more memorable.

Of course, you may get tired of the argument. I can tell you from experience making the argument over and over is also quite tiring. But as you read the responses to your argument you discover things you didn't think about before, ideas and opinions you need to consider. Usually, if you've done your homework, you find those expressions not so well thought out, and you can deal with them by showing where they lack, but sometimes you also find somebody has a good point to be made. The best thing is not that you have to repeat yourself, but that you get the opportunity to add something new to the reasoning. Another view of the situation, another angle of understanding, and so on. And that's one reason you keep going on and on about it. You are learning and sharing your discoveries with others. They don't have to read it, and sometimes they won't, but if they do perhaps everybody wins.

AJ

Gladiola

I don't have a television, and I run an ad blocker on my computer. This forum has a similar feature.