• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Research Buttons in Manufactories

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
Often when I am in a manufactory building, I click on the "upgrade" button and there is a button that says "Research." That tells me I cannot upgrade until I research more. But when I click on the research button, it takes me to my current level of research, and I have to hunt through the next chapter to find out just how many techs I have to complete before I am able to upgrade that building.

I propose that when you click that button, it takes you to the precise place in the tech tree where you'll need to research to upgrade that manufactory to the next level. That way, you can see at a glance how much you need to do before you can upgrade, instead of hunting through the tech tree yourself.

Pros: An easy way to see just how much more you need to research, and whether you are close to researching that tech or far from it.
Cons: Perhaps others can think of the cons.

I am open to all suggestions/criticism, and thanks!

Aritra

I like this idea. It isn't difficult but it is a pain to hunt through the tech tree for it and it seems easily avoidable. I'm not a coder, but I imagine that there is a command triggered on that research button that tells it specifically to go to the last unlocked research item. Seems like that command should be easy enough to alter so that button takes it to the spot the unlock for itself exists. Again, I'm not a coder so I don't know how complicated it is in reality.

Darielle

I like this idea. It isn't difficult but it is a pain to hunt through the tech tree for it and it seems easily avoidable. I'm not a coder, but I imagine that there is a command triggered on that research button that tells it specifically to go to the last unlocked research item. Seems like that command should be easy enough to alter so that button takes it to the spot the unlock for itself exists. Again, I'm not a coder so I don't know how complicated it is in reality.
I'm not a coder either, but my son is and he said that it shouldn't be difficult. Of course, I can't say for sure since he just heard me describe it at breakfast; he hasn't seen the actual button himself.

NightshadeCS

I'm not sure if you all saw the response about listing blueprint totals somewhere in the game, but we were told that something about the coding of that item makes it impossible (or at least not worth the investment of time) to do it. This just brought home to me exactly how little I know of machine language and game-building.

This is a great idea that I would love to see happen.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Currently the system stores where you are on the research tree. When you click on research it takes you to that chapter of the research tree and lines you up at the proper spot. This is a one shot thing. But if you want to go to where the next research is for the current building it's a lot more. You have to know what building, it's current level, and what research node will be needed to go to the next level, and where it is on the research tree. And while that may not appear to be a lot of coding, it could be.

I agree that this is a great idea. I want it to happen. But it may be more work than it would appear.

But let's hope it's a lot less than I think and we see it next week! :p

AJ

michmarc

I agree isn't non-trivial @ajqtrz, but it shouldn't be that hard. The building already has to know if you have completed that research or not so it already knows what research item it's looking for. The big change would be having some way for the UI entry point in research to take you to a specific place.

Should be doable. I think it's especially useful for those chapters that start introducing multiple researches in the same chapter for building upgrades.

Darielle

I agree isn't non-trivial @ajqtrz, but it shouldn't be that hard. The building already has to know if you have completed that research or not so it already knows what research item it's looking for. The big change would be having some way for the UI entry point in research to take you to a specific place.

Should be doable. I think it's especially useful for those chapters that start introducing multiple researches in the same chapter for building upgrades.
That's very true; the later you go the more tedious it is to hunt for a specific research and see how far it is. Sometimes it skips a chapter.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
If you edit your original post to reflect what you said here I would support the suggestion. I don't know anything about how much developer time would be involved to accomplish this, so I can't comment on where it should be in a list of their priorities, but I do think it's an idea worth presenting.