• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Residences new style

• Thread starter DeletedUser2870
  • Start date

DeletedUser2870

Probably a nasty piece of work for the programmers/devs, but still...

How about in the next chapter (no way of doing this retroactively) have a player make a choice when upgrading the residences to form 'A' or 'B'?
Version 'A' will provide more gold, but less pop while version 'B' will provide more pop but less gold. Kinda like villa's versus condo's.

Right now, the number of residences I have provide just enough pop for what I need in a chapter, even with the boosts in pop from several cultural and event buildings (and the GA and Mountain Halls).
Gold-production by residences however is way out of sync. I have to keep using the wholesaler several times daily, at those horrible rates, since there is no other use for the gold. And I can't even get sentient goods for gold. Adding residences would help with the pop, but only yield more gold I don't need.

By providing a choice, which would be the permanent path for that buildings from that point on, there is an opportunity to customize each city more. 'A' and 'B' versions also could have a different layout, and thus a different look, adding to the puzzle of placing them in the city.
And the choice of path would be permanent from that point on, so if one wanted to change, one would have to sell a residence and upgrade it to the level where one can make the choice again, making it something not to be done lightly.

DeletedUser2870

@SoggyShorts
Oh, I've been doing that. But KP's now cost me more than 1.2 mil gold each. So yes, I buy some every day. But since that cost goes up and I don't exactly need them right now, I prefer to leave that option mostly to use during events where there always are quests to buy x-amount of KP's. Those also are the only times I have a use for the coin-rain instants. Well, now that they can be disenchanted, that's a use for them too. But other than that, I definitely don't have a use for the gold.
And at least the wholesaler is reset daily, so all in all it is to me a better investment, even at this atrocious rate. Even if it's just because by getting non-boosted goods this way, I don't need to trade boosted goods for them and I can use those boosted goods to buy KP's. (Which I tend to do mostly at the start of a new chapter to blaze through the first 2 or 3 techs so I can really get into that new chapter).

Like I stated; I'd prefer to see residences balanced in providing pop and gold. So that when they provide enough pop, the gold isn't wildly out of sync. Or even better, give players a choice and by doing so also add more of a puzzle to the game.

(edit)
And especially the puzzle aspect of it would make the game much more interesting to me. It would be a puzzle both because the 'A' and 'B' version would have a different layout AND because their difference in yield for both resources.
Plus of course it would add another look to the city by having 2 versions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
But KP's now cost me more than 1.2 mil gold each.
I'm in halflings
upload_2019-3-8_15-52-0.png

DeletedUser2870

@Ashrem
Your choice, so what? Sure, I can spend more gold on KP's. My problem with that is the fact it is cheaper to buy non-boosted goods and use boosted goods to buy KP's than use the gold to buy KP's directly. Not to mention I can use those KP's only to boost AW's as my regular harvest in KP's plus what I buy per day already is more than adequate to keep up the research. I'm pretty sure I'll be techlocked in a few days again since I can't yet produce enough special stuff to unlock the next techs. Not a problem, but it also means the use of KP's is a bit limited.
Sure, donating to AWs has its uses, but in that case one could just as easily change the mechanism to just dump gold into them.

But the amount of KP's I can buy for gold and whether or not I chose to do so has ehm....to say it politely zero point zero to do with my original post. I don't want this to turn into a discussion on whether one should buy KP's for gold.

My post was a suggestion on how to give players more of a choice and more of a puzzle in residences and the fact that the gold they yield seems to be out of whack with the pop they yield.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
It was neither a suggestion, nor a criticism of your choices. Just a comment on my own

DeletedUser2870

My apologies, a bit tense here.
But like I said, I really did not want this to become about using gold for KP's, I wanted this suggestion to be about the puzzle and the residences

DeletedUser9601

Honestly its a bad idea. Population is the great limited in all aspects of this game.
No one is going to pick the "low" pop building option, except uninformed new players (and then its just a penalty on those players), because you can easily farm gold by doing visits. Most end-game level players would be fine with gold even if residences gave no gold.

So really what you want is for stronger residences, and that's not what developers are interested in doing.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
no one is going to pick the "low" pop building option, except uninformed new players (snip) So really what you want is for stronger residences, and that's not what developers are interested in doing.
He proposed it for the next new chapter, sothere's no opportunity for new players to get caught.

They're going to be looking for ways to extend the game without more terrain so a way to increase population density is certainly useful.

Vergazi

He proposed it for the next new chapter, sothere's no opportunity for new players to get caught.

They're going to be looking for ways to extend the game without more terrain so a way to increase population density is certainly useful.
Skyscrapers?

DeletedUser9601

But that wasn't the proposal. The proposal was to tweak residence upgrades so that you can pick "more population density" or "more gold production density." And no one in their right mind is choosing the latter.

Devs have lots of ways to improve population density:
1. Just increase it. There's no reason level 35 residences can't double the population provided.
2. Provide more AWs that provide population.
3. Create all sorts of "quasi-buildings" or "quasi-portals" where building a Ch 15 portal actually opens up a small 5x5 grid underground, or in the sky, or somewhere else.
4. Require less population for building upgrades, or introduce buildings that don't require population.

But the underlying complaint is "I don't have enough city space for all the buildings I want." And that's the crux of the game, right?

DeletedUser9601

Yes, I was incorrect in identifying that it could trip up new players. Sorry if I didn't sufficiently fall on my own sword there for your forum tastes.
But let's recap the main points:
primary idea: let's have a choice between high-pop density residences and high-coin density residences
my response: no one would choose high-coin density, so what's the point

Agree? Disagree?
Installing a choice for the sake of having a choice, at the cost of lots of time spent on artwork, coding and balancing, seems like a bad idea to me.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
I've considered trying to make a "no-set" 24h city without any factories or workshops, just event buildings really.
That would be a very very low pop city, so I could add in some "coin factories" if they were gave enough to buy significant KP.
My KP cost is 1.5m, so any building like a frost tree that gives 2 KP is worth 3m coins a day...a res would have to beat that on a "coins to buy KP per square" basis.
It would be a fairly radical strategy and one that 99.9% of players would not do oh, so there's no need to implement this idea for my sake.

DeletedUser2870

It would depend I would say. I think most will find out that they will need some of each, thus adding to the puzzle.

High density pop should only yield minimal gold. In fact, quite a bit lower than the present level. And the high gold-yield version should really only give a small amount of pop. Of course, one could try doing without, using only event buildings that provide gold, but I wonder if that would work out in the end.