• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

ring lines or numbers

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
I'd like to know how far provinces are from my city without counting. Either an outline on each ring, or numbers on each tile would be great.
rvyslf.png
rvyslf.png
359bqk3.jpg

Right now there are 3 ways
-start at home and count
-if scouted, open up a fight and look at the ranking points (4 points = ring 4)
-if not scouted look at cost and compare to others
Either or both of the spoilers above is far superior IMO

Last edited:

DeletedUser3312

Maybe not an issue very late game, but mid game I'd like to know how far provinces are from my city without counting. Either an outline on each ring, or numbers on each tile would be great.

Good idea. it would be nice to see an outline of rings to help folks stay balanced and also a number in a 3, 6, 9, 12, (aka a cross) posting the number.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
I see a mod made a recent pass forwarding a few ides to the devs as well as rejecting others, but this nifty little idea is still in limbo =/

DeletedUser2870

Definitely a god idea, since at some point the encounters are not negotiable anymore without having access to orcs (chapter 8).
Rather frustrating to people who already reach that distance while halfway in chapter 6 (like me). Having an indication like that one could at a glance see whether it would be more useful to try another direction first

DeletedUser594

This in no way solves the problem, but it did help with counting those spaces that are in the sectors off the cardinal direction maybe in the NE corner or something like that. If you scroll out on the map (on chrome use ctrl+ mouse wheel out, you can get a far out view- thx katwijk for that gem).
The map stuff is not my area- katwijk and a few others have thoroughly dissected the map and surely have more complete and technical and probably simpler and more elegant methods of counting.
The thing that threw me off on counting was trying to get the rings straight and constantly falling in or out a ring as I tried to count around. I played with a map for a bit and it hit me that the city hex is not aligned with the hex rings that form when counting. The vertices of the city hex bisect the centers of the hex ring lines. I think what I have to share will be obvious to many of you, this is for mathaphobes like me
I tend to think visually so I had to sit and play with pics till some stuff jumped out at me
2inr4x.jpg

There is a city hexagon in red
at each city vertex is a red line radiating outward
(when looking at your city you recognize these as the lines where neighbor cities fall every other space)

the blue lines start mid point between vertices on my city hex and radiate outward
you recognize these as the lines where cities fall 3 spaces apart
I connected the radiating lines in blue to show the sides of the hex rings

if you count out along the red lines you will know which ring you are on at any point
a perpendicular line drawn through that point will give you one side of the ring hex at that level use
n+1 where n=number of hex rings from home

2vmua82.jpg

then if you count out further:
13ye3vp.jpg

ring 8 being even will have a city dead center on the hex ring line for the corresponding segment
just count 4 above, 4 below and include the city itself for a total of nine or whichever direction you need to go to hit the two nearest blue hex vertex lines (with the cities running every 3rd space)

if you can visualize just one line it's pretty easy to jump up or down a ring
I'm sure this stuff or something close to it has been posted before- I am sharing the approach I took to start getting a feel for knowing where I am and how the sides run. I still have to count but it's more systematic for me and less garbled in those far corners

DeletedUser3507

Or as colored rings 1 color per ring, I will not take credit for this idea, it was posted in another post and I like it.

WolfSinger

ABout a month or so back, I looked at my map and it was very uneven, so I started working on making it even. One thing I noticed is that the price of scouting helps me make sure I'm still in the same ring as I work around my city now. I'm in the 13th ring and my scouts are currently 4100k per. Yes, it goes up 100k every day or so - but I can kinda track that way.

That being said - I love the idea of being able to access the map and having a ring grid on it.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
Even if we could toggle an overlay on/off on the map showing the rings would be good and would work for already completed province distance. The only drawback I see in the OP is the ability to see distance for completed provinces which is helpful when determining the next scout location. Anything that improves ring visibility from the world map would be a welcome improvement.

DeletedUser3507

I hope the developer listen and implement it.
For once.....

Buttrflwr

You mean like this?
359bqk3.jpg

I didn't make this, it's from the wiki (created and maintained by the devs!)... so even inno uses rings to explain distance...smh

THIS is exactly what I was talking about in the other thread. This makes so much more sense, and would help noobs and old timers alike when trying to determine what is "too far" for our tech tree. As it is now, it is all just a blob of green that runs together once you have unlocked and conquered the provinces. Also, some kind of warning, like..."Don't try to scout into ring 8 when you are just in beginning of Chapter 4" would be nice. I had no idea that being that far out would make my battles impossible. Don't just give us the # of provinces, give us ring #'s. Please. :)

Buttrflwr

LOL, I did. Thank you. :D Since no comments have been forthcoming, I shall leave the other one up too. ;) I HATE trying to figure out what darn ring I am in. :mad::rolleyes: